INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear Sharpening Files  (Read 854 times)

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear Sharpening Files
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Really enjoy these type threads. Thanks to all for sharing.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
Back to the original subject of the thread... file handles... I finally dug the odd one in the file sheath out of tackle box that I take on trips.

Here are three different colored file handles with some other stuff.

1) Standard Brown similar to many of the Cutmasters. Five of the brown ones are in the photograph.
2) Gray, in the kit signed by Glenn, the gray looks almost white with the flash.
3) Yellowish Ivory in the file sheath. Not really a true white.

The 1957 Bowhunters Kit with the Puma and aluminum insert is the one I have carried and used on many trips over the years. I remember when it looked almost new, but it's beginning to look pretty beat up. Hopefully there are a lot of years of serviceable life left in it. The Puma is in worse shape than the sheath, but still holds an edge far longer than any Western Knife I have ever had the misfortune to use.

Also interesting to point out the file sheath with the Brown Handle File has both pieces of leather stamped or perhaps branded would be a better word, so it has two different sizes of Bear Script brands on the front side of the leather. The other file sheath is not stamped at all on the front side on either piece of leather, however, on the back side it does have the catalog number ink stamped on the leather.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
I was trying to find out what year Western 648 knife went from jigged bone to that plastic delrin stuff ???????? bd

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
Well,I dont know how the pics will turn out but there are 3 kits in there somewhere.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©