3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Double Bull results  (Read 314 times)

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
Double Bull results
« on: December 12, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
I just picked up my first Double Bull blind (T5), and probably won't get to hunt deer out of it now until next year. I am curious how you DB enthusiasts fared on the deer this year. I always hear a few dissenters when it comes to their effectiveness on deer, so now that we have another season (nearly) under our belt, how did you do? Which model did you use? Did you get busted much? What did you learn?

Thanks,
46r

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Double Bull results
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
I use the Matrix.  i just got back from Alabama on a hunting trip.  My best hunting buddy & i hunted out of one together the last morning & he drilled a big "monark" doe at 7 yards.  We had it backed up into a cane brake.  We brushed it in with canes on the top & sides.  The deer would look at the blind, but settled down after a minute or two.  i haven't had any luck setting them in the open & if you use one with window portals, put up the screen mesh over them if you leave them open.
Randy
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline flightmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
i bought a matrix at etar this year, i used it this year for deer season, ihad good luck with mine i brushed the roof line in real good , and used a doe bleat call which brought the deer in close to me, they were a little on edge but i think it was more from the call, i shot a doe less than 15 yds, she was lloking my direction but was not to skitish, i used the shoot thru netting with a 50# striker stinger with cedar arrows, and a magnus broadheads and it worked like a charm, going to try it again this week coming o see how it works with out alot of cover .
Toelke ( Troll)

Striker bow (stinger)

Compton Member
PBS MEMBER
"In the wind he is still alive Fred Bear "

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
I have the Matrix and brushed it in real good (I thought), but the deer were too wary and did not come in.  Yes, I was using the shoot-thru netting.  

Reports are they work even better in the open which gives the deer plenty of time and space to check things out.
Lon Scott

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
I used a matrix this year for the first time. I had good luck with it. I shot a buck out of it and missed a doe, i had 11 deer within bow range of my blind this season. It was kind of a crap shoot as to the way deer reacted to it. With it backed in to some hemlocks and the roof brushed in i had great results if the cover was sparse but i still had the roof brushed in some of the deer were nervous with one in particular that bolted on two occasions. have some good cover around an have the roof brushed in and they work good.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
I bought a Matrix early in the year and used it for hunting turkeys, and they could really care less.  Bowhunted for deer out of it and they didn't react very good unless I dang near had a forest around the thing brushing it in.  Did shoot a doe out of it though.  I hope to experiment with the whole putting it in the middle of the field thing and see how they react like Blackhawk is talking about.  If that works it could be very interesting.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
I have had Great luck with all there blinds.  The big thing is learning how to brush them in without tipping deer off.  I have a ton of kills and would much rather hunt out of it then a tree stand.  Oh yea they are amazing on elk and bear!!

Offline iowa mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »
I have been using ground blinds the last two years,greatest gift in the world to old farts.
I hunt both public and private ground in Iowa and have discovered one major thing, at close range, 50 ydws. or less visibility, deer are spooked by suddenly coming upon something new where as if they can see them from a long distance they seem to get used to them quick if they don't see movement. Therefor, I brush heavy in heavy cover but don't worry about it near as much if it's wide open. The deer around here see enough hay bales getting moved from day to day that they sxometimes are more curious than afraid. Hope this helps you out.
michael viehdorfer

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
My wife bought me a DB Matrix for a birthday present this year. I put it up and brushed it in on November 15th with the intent of letting the deer get used to it by not  hunting out of it until after December 1st (which seemed like a good plan at the time).

Due to a favorable wind and "Happy Feet", I Hunted from it for the first time about November 22nd and had a doe and two yearlings come in that hunt. The DOE passed by within about 4 FEET; so close that I could clearly see her eye lashes and see that her RIGHT nostril was running. For a brief moment, I thought she was actually going to walk up and sniff the blind for God sakes. Since then, I've had about a dozen deer (some repeats) come in within shooting range. The only time I was snorted- and snorted BIG TIME I might ad - was when I tried moving the camo netting out of the way near dark one late afternoon to afford better visibility.

I primarily hunt out of trees these days, BUT I LOVE THIS BLIND. It really makes for an enjoyable late season (read: COLD season) hunt.

Helpful Hint:  watch the provided set-up DVD and practice putting it up/taking it down before carting it off to the woods. I've found that I can fit the bling, a three-legged folding stool, a wool vest and a wool sweater in the duffel carrying bag. It's the Bomb!!!
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
I have both the T 5 & T 2, I really like them, I have not yet hunted with longbow out of the T 2, how is anticipating getting a 54 " Bob Lee, but I have to test out my Turkey Creek Longbow first.  But with the T 5 there's no problem, like others have said he need to use the screen netting, how one window and in the other window, then tuck it behind the rods, the one leave the netting a little loose, for the fluctuation of the arrow, you don't want it is tight as you can get it.  And make sure that if you couldn't see 50 yd. you need to branch it in if you can see 100 yd., set out in the open, the chair that Goebel has called the magnum is really comfortable, its 30% bigger and has a padded bar on the back that can be moved up and down for back support,(I have fallen asleep in the chair) I have the first one also.  With that chair you can swivel either way right or left, and you can go down on 1 knee easy enough.

The black holes that are created by your T 5 without see camouflage netting, look like predator holes in the forest, when the deer see that they think of coyote or wolf dens, so they split right away, they will not tolerate the black holes.  I also take a bottle of capital or a corn scent spray, and spray it about 3 in. away from the edge of the blind, for a scent cover.  I pushed the debris inside the brind over the flap that's folded in, that's another way to mask your scent.  I like the T 5 because of the zipper top in the roof, I velcro it open about a half-inch in early season, watch how you place it so it doesn't shed light on you.  I also were a black mask was just my showing, I wear black clothes on both my hands, and a black stretch  T-shirt.  Black on black is good.  Make sure you said to the back of the blind when you use the four windows on one side.  You don't want to silhouette yourself.  With traditional bow you can shoot out of the viewing windows.

I have really enjoyed my double bulls.  I have light rods and both of them, my T 5 is 13 lbs. and my T 2 is 11 lbs. the main thing is to break up your lines, the roof line is really important to branch in.  When you set in the ground in front of you, pop-up one side, it doesn't matter which one, with the rest of the hubs set them right over left, set them in the palm of your hand, and was the other hand, pull the blind, and pushed the hubs out, stand up and pop up the rest of the hubs with your polm.  The first time I took my now, and I watch the video number times, I could not get to pop-up, try at a number times at home.  Another good thing is if you can spray it down with a UV protector.  I use Scent Eracer it's made by home in field.

And like they say they're great for Turkey, and you don't have to use camouflage screening.  I just bought a Mr. Buddy heater for mine.  :scared:  

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©