INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: airlines ad a 60" bow  (Read 596 times)

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
airlines ad a 60" bow
« on: May 23, 2011, 01:53:00 AM »
Any idea's on what to make or a case to buy to put a 60" Kodiak in for traveling via the commercial airlines? I know I can make one but maybe there is one already out there that will work.
bryce olson

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: airlines ad a 60" bow
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Take a look at the hard case golf club carriers.  Solid case with great protection, and you can cram a bunch of clothes around your bow.  As a bonus, on many airlines golf equipement is exempt from oversize baggage fees.  Archery equipement is subject to oversized charges, so I wouldn't offer information on just what is inside unless they ask.  
Of course, if you are flying to hunt polar bears like the one in your picture, they might wonder what kind of golf courses they have where you are headed!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
sweet idea! Thanks!
bryce olson

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
I have a hard case for golf clubs and it won't accept anything over 47". You even have to take the driver and fairway metals out of the bag and lay them beside the bag to fit.

Perhaps one of those hard fishing rod cases Cabelas or Bass Pro sells.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
You can make on out of 6" PVC pipe.  Use the heavy duty.  Put a glue cap on one end and a threaded plug on the other.  It may ne a bit heavy and incur extra baggage fees but it will protect your now...even in a crash.

If you search for it, there are airline approved trad bow cases out there.

Aurora Dynamic City Pack  
 • An ideal solution for equipment transportation. Thanks to its comfortable internal compartments, it allows you to carry a full recurve bow equipment.
• Available colors:
Red, Black, Silver, Orange, and Blue.
Catalog # 1410011  
 $99.99 / EACH
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
I made mine from PVC like PAPALAPIN suggests, about 20 years ago. I use it for transporting my bows in a vehicle, too, to protect them. I put foam pads in both ends, and slip the bows into a bow sock before putting them in the tube. It will hold two longbows but only one recurve.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
If you dont feel like fooling with making your own I have three different lenghts of cases made by "Viking Voyager". They have held up pretty well considering the abuse they get from the Gorillas that work for the airlines.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©