INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: cleaning up a '68 Super K  (Read 413 times)

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
cleaning up a '68 Super K
« on: May 26, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
For those of you that have refinished one of the 1967-1969 Super Kodiaks, is there anything different you use on the bowling ball riser?

I just picked one up that needs a little attention.  I'm gonna try to hit the problem spots and sand the white overlay bright, but still leave the original writing on it.

Offline Steve95

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cleaning up a '68 Super K
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
I've done a few of these. I do them all the same as with a wood rider. I fix any cracks/ checks with super glue. Lightly steel wool and clean/ spray. I don't try to make the white glass look like new? I don't think that helps the bow or adds to any value. This protects the bow and it is very shootable,  and if someone in the future wants to make a wall trophy out of it then... Anyway good luck with it.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
I like to remove all of the old finish to make sure the new finish will stick.But that it will also do its jobs and protect my bow in any weather conditions ? bd

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
But that black riser will sand up just the same as a wood one?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
oh yea it would look even better if you sand about maybe like the thickness of one human hair off the otter layer of the riser.The first .002 or so has oxidized for sun light.Old type finishes did not have any UV blockers in them like today more expensive finishes do bd

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 02:26:00 AM »
Doug
What did you do between coats and then the final finish? That's beautiful work!!!!!!

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
Larry,
     It's all wipe-on poly applied w/ a lintless cloth. No sanding between coats unless I saw a flaw. Then I used 0000 steel wool but only as needed and very seldom.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©