INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Quest V  (Read 677 times)

Offline shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bear Quest V
« on: June 07, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
Bowdoc, hope you have a safe and wonderful trip with Tommy.  What will you take as your 'go to bow' this time?  See you at the end of the month.
Good luck. Kuch, the same goes for you and your boy.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest V
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Shick I'll be takeing the new old 1970 B riser along and a set of early #1 white tip 48# limbs.I was thinking of not even bringing a bow at all really.I was thinking more along the lines of setting my butt in a lawn chair at that big fire pit right at the lake shore for a week or two and just do a whole lot of nothing.I need one real bad this year Denny believe me.A good vacation is always good for anyone....however a good vacation with good friends good food good hunting good fishing.That can be a game changer for sure.I'am even thinking my wife needs a vacation too.......from me bd

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
To those makin the trip, have a safe and memoriable one. Lookes to be a super group of guys on BQ5. Papa bowdoc surly keep ya laughing and full of great food. Best wishes and look forward to seeing some pics.   :notworthy:

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
Good luck and safe journey to all.    :wavey:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
yeah this was the thread I was looking for.Thanks Denny I got some pics and a story to post of a bear I arrowed with the 1970 B handle and limbs.I'll be back soon bd

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Bowdoc makes shooting a bear look way too easy! He was only gone from camp for less than 4 hours. Took two arrows and then brought one back dirty. Congrats Bowdoc and thanks for a memorable trip! You kept us laughing the whole time!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
thanks KS this one really ment a lot to me and to do with the 1970 bear take and micro flite arrow tipped with bear razorhead was even better.I know you know what I mean.Hey hows about you show the boys yours and I'll show em mine.Old KS pulled one out of his hat and arrowed a fine bear with vintage tackle too.We all had a blast and doing it with vintage tackle point blank makes it that much better huh Ben ? bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
me and mine 1970 bear B handle take down 45# white tip #1 limbs and micro flite #9 with bear razorhead hell yeah it don't getting any better then that bd  

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
My setup is a 1969 Pearson Mercury Marauder TD 60", 64#@29 1/4" with Easton XX75 2215's cut 30 1/4" and Pearson Switchblade heads.       They're a real blast from the past, huh Bowdoc. That Bear TD is really nice. I looked it over at Bear Quest and I'd love to have one, only one thing holding me back!

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
You know Kevin did his bear hunt with equiptment to celebrate Earl Hoyt's 100th birthday, I believe.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
Well, Doc, you actually do sometimes shoot one!  Hey, wait a damn minute! Is that the riser you just got from me???  

Well, I don't suppose you could have done it with any other handle, so you're welcome, buddy.
Tom

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 07:05:00 AM »
very nice Ben great job.And yes Kev's bear should be in here also if he likes.Earls birthday is importent as any of ours.I say yes to Kevin.
Yes Tom thats her and yes its true.I've been waiting 40 years to do what you see in the pic.I could never afford a B riser and the trip both so it just never came together for me until this year mostly because of you Tom.And again I could never thank you enough for your trust in me.And makeing it possible for me to put the big red felt tipped pen check mark next that one on the bucket list.
I used a set of 45# limbs.That is the lightest weight bow I have ever taken on a hunt.However there is some reasoning to my madness.Please note I used a micro flite number 9.Beacaue,because Glenn shot fiberglass shafts and told me one time long ago you do not want you arrow to blow clean out the other side.Well he said that was OK too.But the idea was to shoot a bow a bit lighter weight and get the arrow inside the critters body.So when your critter runs off with the arrow inside its chest it will be hitting tree's stumps whatever and each time the glass shaft does hit something the broadhead is really doing it job then.My pic is not your classic no blood staged photo.Nope what you see is what you get in the pic.But I gotta tell ya that worked out just super.She was dead on her feet when she bolted away.Then she hit about 3-4 tree's and or branches and the job was done in about 20 seconds.40 years of waiting for 20 second of glory........as I mentioned before hell yeah it don't get any better then that.Thanks again Tom you da man this week brother bd

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »

Sky Archery SkyHawk Takedown
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
Congrats Don,it is nice to see those old bows and equipments put at good use.What other old bows were been used there?
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
Congratulations Donnie!!!!
I am so happy for you. It sounds like you guys had a wonderful time. Wish I could have been there.
Welcome home bro.....Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
this is the set up I used this year on BQ 5 worked out great bd    

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter