INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Paul Bunyan Bows  (Read 1181 times)

Offline tjp

• Trad Bowhunter
Paul Bunyan Bows
« on: June 11, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
I picked up a couple Paul Bunyan fiberglass bows today at a sale.  One is a 50# and one is a 40#. Both in decent shape. Does anyone know anything about these bows?

Thanks

Tom

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Paul Bunyan Bows
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »
I have some old 1950's hunting mags with Paul Bunyan bow ads in the back. Paul Bunyan Archery, based in Minneapolis Minn., was trying to compete with Ben Pearson, Bear and Shakespere for the solid glass bow market (much lower priced than wood / fiberglass laminated bows). The ad depicts a man dressed in a buckskin fringed jacket drawing an arrow on a trophy buck.
The solid glass limbs are prone to stacking and are heavier, hence a bit slower on recovery, and therefore have a slower arrow speed as compared to wood / fiberglass laminated recurves. However, in the the old archery mags of that era (50's/60's), looking at the pictures and readers letters, it appears that a TON of big game (including Elk), was killed with solid glass bows, as they were quite popular due to the low price and overall durability. If the glass looks solid, no splinters, etc., and the limbs are straight, I would get a couple new B-50 Dacron strings and string them up and have some fun.

Offline tjp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Paul Bunyan Bows
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
Thank You

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©