3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for you spine Gurus  (Read 302 times)

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for you spine Gurus
« on: December 12, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
Last year I blew a bunch of cash trying to setup arrows that were to weak for my bow. The problem was that I needed to add weight, but in doing so, weakened the spine. So...

All my bows are RD longbows of various makes between 58 and 64 inches and 54-60lbs @28. It seems like I should be able to use the same arrows for all these bows, so I'm looking to setup some Beman MFX Classics or Axis with 100 grain inserts and probably a 125 head. I shoot a 30 inch arrow (draw to 29").

At that length and with 225 up front, will 400's end up being weak?

I don't want to make another $100 mistake.   :goldtooth:  

Thanks for the help.
Is it September yet?!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for you spine Gurus
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
One way to avoid that problem is to get arrows that allow you to add weight to the back, like Gold Tips.  Adding weight to the back increases spine.

Another way to avoid the problem is to buy just one bare shaft of the type of arrow you want to try, and make sure that flies right with the setup you want to use before you invest in a dozen.  It's not a bad investment.  I have accumulated about 20 different bare shafts of various kinds of wood, aluminum, and graphite arrows over the years, so when I get a new bow, I can narrow it down pretty quickly with what I already have.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
To many variables to expect one set of arrows set-up the same to shoot well from all of those bows. Limb design/material, degree of center shot, ff/dacron, etc all have as much effect on the spine of arrow a bow will need as weight of draw.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
I was afraid of that. I have a bunch of aluminums in varying spines, but it's hard to get a single carbon. And the "test packs" are still $50. Like you say, maybe it's worth it. Thanks.
Is it September yet?!

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
One option is to fine tune a shaft to fly well from your weakest bow, then build out the sideplate on the others until you get good flight.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Scattershot that makes too much sense........another option is to buy a bunch of new bows that are closer in weight, and get rid of the bows that are too weak or too strong for the arrows. Why not?

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
That's the spine I would go with.  I would be surprised if you couldn't get them to work.  I shot the Classics 400 spine and/or 250 CX which are also 400 with 200-225 out of bows (morrison dakota) with the same specs and draw weight as yours. Like other said there are alot of variables from bow to bow but with some changes (build out/in strike plate, brace height, # and/ or type of string, amount or type of silencers, etc.) they could shoot out of those bows.  You may not get the most effeciency out of some of the bows but I "think" they are close enough in spine to work.  If you buy'em and they don't work send them me:)
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
I think we're on to something here... A complete bow stable overhaul. I don't know why it hasn't occured to me that I should be finding an arrow that I really like and then having bows built to IT.  :)

On a serious note, I can't tell you how great it is to have a scapegoat for my inability to tune my bows.

I never really had a problem tuning with XX75's and cannot possibly explain my desire to shoot carbon arrows. But, for whatever reason, I will not be completely satisfied until I get a quiver full of carbon (that actually flies well).

Thanks again.
Is it September yet?!

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
Levi.....Just a thought here, do you know any one close that might have some Arrow Dynamics..Trad Heavies and some Trad Lites that you might run through your bows just to experiment with. You could borrow 1 of each to test out. I have found that the Trad Heavies do VERY well out of ALL my bows. Just a thought..

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
No, unfortunately I don't. Most of my hunting partners still shoot wheelies, despite my every effort to educate and enlighten them. Sure, they own longbows and recurves. They just don't USE them.
I digress.
Anyway, I've been interested in the Arrow Dynamics but don't know of anyone with first hand experience. Ultimately, they are only a little more expensive that a dozen MFX classics so I'd definitely be willing to try them.

Are you using the Trad Heavies with the inserts provided? or the weight-added inserts? My fear - and what scared me away from Arrow dynamics is the idea of completely changing the spine based on the decision to trim them from the front or back. Whoa! I'm indecisive enough without adding those types of judgment calls.

Again, all information and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Is it September yet?!

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
Bowfiend. Where do you live in the Bitterroot? I am in Darby. I have some shafts we can spine out to let you know where to start.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
Bjorn, I like your idea better. I am humbled by your insight.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©