INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: ?Tips breaking?  (Read 407 times)

Offline alex b

• Trad Bowhunter
?Tips breaking?
« on: June 30, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
I have a 59 kodiak and am not sure whether or not the tips are sound enough to shoot. The only thing I see wrong with them is that the overlays do not flow smoothly into the limb. There is a small ledge. Is this a problem? I have strung it but am afraid to shoot it.

But I am confused on why the tips would break on a bow. There does not seem like there is a lot of stress on the tips and wouldn't the string loop keep everything together?

I assume that when people say "tips breaking" they mean the overlays falling off. If this happens can't I just superglue them back on so they are nice and secure?

Also, do these bows even require overlays? It seems as though the limb is thick enough.

Hopefully this all made sense.
thanks
alex

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ?Tips breaking?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
If that bow is a lefty, send it to me and I will test shoot it for you. It's not that I am fearless...just less years left. It might take me until after elk season to get it back to you.

It would really help if you posted a good,clear close-up picture of the tips.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
Don't quote me on this but arn't the tips on the '59s knowen for coming off.

doug77

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Yes, they have a tendency to come off if shot a lot. The old glue wasn't quite up to snuff.;
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
The old Micarta tips did dry out and pop loose and some times flew away, sometimes not. Soaking them in some loctite 420 can help a lot and prying them loose and regluing works too. Kurtbel here can help you make new ones.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
they were made of paper is why they did not last to long.Paper does not weather well when put under stress.You mentioned ... There does not seem like there is a lot of stress on the tips and wouldn't the string loop keep everything together?
...at full draw thats the only spot under stress.And add an endless loop string supplied with most bear bows.Those strings would kind of cut thru the paper overlay which did'nt help much eather bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©