3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does Ben Pearson get the Recognition he deserves....History added.....  (Read 3710 times)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
We all know Fred Bear and Howard Hill are the names everyone associates with Traditional bowhunting.

However, are we leaving Ben out? This man was a innovator, designer and manufactured some great shooting hunting and target bows. Plus, he was a great advocate of the sport with his shooting exhibitions and hunts on film. I personally feel Pearson deserves alot more credit and praise for his years as a hunter and bow designer.
   :archer:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does Ben Pearson get the Recognition he deserves....History added.....
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
I feel Ben gets the short end of the "stick" a lot too!

My first bow was a little Ben Pearson bow.

No pun intended!

But I believe I read somewhere long ago that he actually furnished arrows for Bear.

Is my memory correct?

I may have it backwards.

But I think it was like railroad cars full of arrows!

Then again, the older I get, the more I remember stuff that didn't happen, than stuff that did!

hnh
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
In two words "Hell No" I also started with a Ben Pearson Bow and still have and shoot it
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
I think Gray Buffalo took the words out of my mouth.

I've got family that knew and worked for Mr. Pearson, and they still call him that to this day. Mainly, because of the respect they have for the man himself, as a person. Yes, he's worthy of praise for not only his ability and contributions as an unbelievable shot, engineer, businessman, etc., but as a great man period. The world could use a few Mr. Pearsons these days....
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
Joe you are absolutely correct.  But what is different from Fred to Howard to Ben?  Both Bear archery and Howard Hill archery are in operation producing traditional equipment today.  There are numberous movies and books on both Fred and Howard in publication today.  I think it keeps there legacy alive and growing.  There are movies out there of Ben (and he was a great shooter and hunter) but they are few a far between.  The Pearson company has all but disowned it past history of recurve and longbow manufacturing.  All of the archers that followed Fred and Howard, wrote about their exploits, reproduced video of their factories, hunts and so on go a long way in cementing their legacy.  Ben need some of that. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
I own More Pearson Bows than anything, and I say
The Proof is in the Pudding!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
Back in the early 70's I remember how everyone wanted to get one of those gorgeous Pearson recurves.  The wood combos and designs were unreal.  As a kid I never could come close to affording one(I had a Shakespeare Sierra I got cheap because it was left handed and wouldn't sell), but I sure did covet...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
I aggree with Joe 100%!!!!!

Now I'm older than most.....But not as old as some LOL!!!!!

When I was a kid I watched Fred Bear and Ben Pearson on The American Sportsman,and The Wide World of Sports.....(when they were "outdoor" shows not "athletic" shows) Fred and Ben were my childhood heros!!!!!

However.....If you had asked me when I was about 10 years old.....I would probly have answered....."Who's Howard Hill?????"
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
He absolutely deserves more, but very few people new him as the great shooter that he was and more for his bow building company.
He didn't put out the great movies as Fred or Howard.
Even in New York City, who didn't have a Pearson Bow growing up?
Ben Pearson  -- The quiet GIANT in the field of Archery who was the doer and not the talker at least to me.    :clapper:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
About six years ago I wrote the Pearson Company and requested they get back into the Traditional end of the busines. I would have carried a few of their bows here in the shop.

I said if they bring back a few of the more popular hunting models like the Maruader etc...at a fair price, hunters would buy them. I never received an answer or inquiry. Just like the Howard and Groves bows, Pearson is destined to be buried forever.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline String Tracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
I have a Ben Pearson Lord Mercury bow.   its designed for olympic trget shooting and its still used for paper targets.  great quality bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
Are there any books written by or about Ben Pearson?  I'd like to learn more about him and as you describe, he isnt as well publicized.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
Ben Pearson was born in Saline County, Arkansas on November 16, 1898. Events are hazy and accounts conflicting, but it's safe to say that Ben made his first bow sometime prior to 1926, a six foot hickory patterned after the English longbow obtained from instructions on bow building in Boy Scout articles written by Uncle Dan Beard. Later, in the Boy Scouts' Merit Badge Series for Archery, he would author his own instructions with "How To Make A Flat Bow." Ben performed numerous exhibitions across America for youth and scout groups and according to a recent article by Arline Chandler, "Pearson never charged a fee for his demonstrations, nor asked for expenses."

In 1926, Ben entered the Arkansas State Championships held in Little Rock and placed next to last. It was a humbling experience for the budding archer. Determined to improve his skills, Ben worked at upgrading his equipment and learning to shoot. The next year, he once again entered the Arkansas State Championships, but this time he walked away as the Arkansas State Champion. During the next 10 years or so, Ben would become a regular fixture at target events, develop into a highly respected competitor and place seventh behind Pat Chambers during the 1938 NAA National Tournament and 24 places ahead of a young Fred Bear. Pat would later go to work for Ben in 1940 as a field man and author "Archery," the first publication issued by Pearson Archery.

After completing grammar school, Ben worked on the family farm in Lonoke county until he was drafted toward the end of WWI. The Armistice was soon signed and Ben's short lived service came to an end. Ben returned home, but the farm couldn't hold him and he moved to Little Rock. In Little Rock, Ben would land a job with the Little Rock Railway and Electric Company, move on to the Arkansas Power & Light Company and as the Depression deepened in 1931 he would take off on his own. He tried the floral business in Pine Bluff, but with little money and even less experience his venture soon collapsed and he resorted to selling caterpillar tractors for John Riggs, doing some work for Lee Woods, Inc., of Pine Bluff and producing archery equipment in his garage.

It was during this period that a chance meeting would forever change his life. It seems that Carl Haun, a retired oil man from Blackwell, Oklahoma, had purchased a bow and arrow set for his grandson. It didn't take the grandson long to lose or break all his arrows. Grandpa set about to replace the youngster's arrows but found the task more difficult than anticipated. Upon learning of Ben Pearson, Mr. Haun cranked his airplane up and flew to Pine Bluff. Soon Mr. Haun was knocking on Ben's door and Mr. Haun's arrow problems were solved. According to Roy Hoff, "That was the beginning of a great partnership little known to the user of Ben Pearson equipment. Carl listened intently as Ben explained his dream of mass producing archery tackle and became intrigued. This was still during the depression years, but evidently not in the oil business."

Ben later commented on the meeting. "He was tickled to death to find some arrows for his grandson. So, Mr. Haun invited me to `go for a walk'. He said he wanted to look for some For Sale signs. He took a dim view of mass production in a backyard garage. We came upon an old sorghum mill with a For Sale sign on it." At that moment Carl Haun's financial support and Ben Pearson's mechanical knowledge were joined, forming Ben Pearson Company. Ben Pearson Company would later lay claim to being "the world's greatest mass-producing archery tackle manufacturer."

Ben Pearson retired from the archery manufacturing business in 1967 and passed away four years later on March 2, 1971 at age 72, after revolutionizing the manufacturing of archery tackle, providing quality, functional equipment well within the means of the average person. He left a legacy in the "Bushmaster" and the unsurpassed "Deadhead." He left another in Longbow, a 400 acre retreat near Prim, Arkansas, now restored by his son Ben, Jr. in tribute to his father and those who stalked the hills before him. His presence is still felt there in his get-away cabin. The cabin provides an awesome view of a waterfall cascading off a rock bluff into the blue-green pool below.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
'The Legendary Hunts of Ben Pearson'

See if you can find that video.....the man was a shooter let me tell ya, and like HH, he didn't hold at anchor very long either.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Joe,Skipp, cool! thanks for that, being a Arkansas resident and visiting the longbow resort and being old enough to remember and have owned  Ben's bows, he has not gained anywhere the credit he is due, he was an amazing man, and one I would have loved to meet. His son came to our State Trad championships a few years ago, that was pretty cool.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
I agree Joe.  I've shot field archery with him, shot in archery demonstrations with him, hunted with him, ate with him, slept in his house.  Of course my Dad was with me   :)   He was low profile for the masses as far as fame was concerned. But did more for archery than any man on the planet I believe.  A soft spoken Christian man that produced more archery equipment during his time than anyone ever has or ever will   :archer:   ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
Joe, if you're going to cut and paste my article from  the History Section of Stickbow...least you could do was give me credit.   :)

Offline bowfisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
mr.pearson gets know where near the recognition he deserves I bought a howatt hunter just about a month ago and would give it up for another pearson in a heart beat pearson is all I have ever shot till the howatt came along recently but I'm ready for a trade in my personal favorite bow of mine is my pearson hunter 709 55# it's great

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
Yea Joe, what's up with that?  :wavey:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
I pulled it off an internet search....didn't even notice it was part of Stickbow...if I offended anyone, I apologize....but..thanks for the article Liquid Amber..it was well done.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©