3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does Ben Pearson get the Recognition he deserves....History added.....  (Read 3708 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does Ben Pearson get the Recognition he deserves....History added.....
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
Although I never got to meet Mr. Pearson (the closest I came was talking to his wife, Mrs. Mary Pearson), he's the archery pioneer I most admire.  One of the main reasons for that admiration is because he obviously wasn't in it for fame or to make a big name for himself--he loved the sport.  I have talked to folks that shot with him and watched his demonstration, and I have the video "The Legendary Hunts of Ben Pearson".  He was an amazing archer, hunter, and inventor.  

I forget who brought it up, but according to the video, at the height of their business Pearson Archery was buying feathers (to fletch arrows) by the boxcar load.  

Not only a hunting pioneeer, Mr. Pearson was also a pioneeer in mass producing archery equipment--the Henry Ford of archery--making it much more affordable for the average guy.

Unless I was misinformed, after sitting in a warehouse for many years, the original presses and even a lot of the old glass from Pearson Archery was sold a few years ago.  At least the fellow who bought some of it is another big Pearson fan.

Chad

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
He's not forgotten as long as I'm around. Ben was good friends with Hill, Bear, Earl Hoyt and a host of others.... not all of that bunch got along.  ;)  

Look in Hill's movie "Tembo" and you'll notice the arrow boxes being carried by the bearers have Ben Pearson printed on them.

As far as I'm concerned he was the premier trick shot of all time. Just uncanny is all I can say.

Since I was a boy my dream bow was (and still is) a Pearson Bushmaster just like Mr.Ben used... they are real hard to find and cost many, many, sheckles when you do.  :scared:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »
You didn't offend me Joe, if you had, I'd of accussed you of shooting a girly bow.   :)   If you have stuff on the web, it gets linked any number of places.

I've visited Ben Jr. and stayed in the Bushmaster cabin...a great place to visit if you like solitude.

Van's father, Sterling had a book given him by Ben P.  It was titled "Arkansans of the Years" by Fay Williams, 1953.  Sterling had allowed me to copy the chapter on Ben Pearson but I couldn't talk him out of the book.   :)

My wife and I had a weekend planned at Hot Springs when Sterling became ill and lapsed into a comma.  I talked with Moselle, Van's Mother on Friday and   she told me not to cancel my trip as there was nothing I could do by staying in town.  We went to Hot Springs and Sterling passed away on Saturday and I didn't find out until I returned home on Sunday evening.

My wife wanted to visit an antique mall but I wasn't too keen as it required waiting around for an hour or so for it to open.  When I walked in, the first booth I noticed was one littered with books.  With nothing to guide me, I walked up and looked at the first shelf, eye high and right  there was a copy of the above mentioned book.

What are the odds?  I always figured I had a little divine help....old Sterling was still watching out for me as he had for several years as my neighbor and friend.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 08:14:00 AM »
Joe, JC, Gray Buff... ditto ditto Amen! My first hunting bow was a Ben Pearson Take Down Longbow, model 304, 45@28. Loved that bow.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
Terry is right, If you have never seen the video
"The Legendary Hunts of Ben Pearson" It's well worth finding a copy. In the video, you will see just how good of a archer Mr. Pearson was. He made some unbelievable shots.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
Rumor has it that it's available in DVD now  ;) ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
Hey Van...my goal this year was to harvest a deer with a Deadhead....didn't happen. Zwickey prevailed. Every time I selected the arrow with the Deadhead...nothing showed up.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
Yep, I know the feeling  :biglaugh:  ...Van
I love this country ;-)

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
I have seen a lot of excellent archers shoot their bows but Ben Pearson was the best! He toured in the fifties doing demonstrations.He was the real deal no smoke and mirrors, just great shooting.I do think he wasn't as good of a  promoter as Bear and Hill.It is a shame he doesn't get the reconition he so rightly deserves.I also wish Harry Drake got the credit he deserves. Pearson and Drake were my idols.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
Dr Ed Ashby just left my house yesterday. He hunted with all the great Archers of old. Ed told of spending time with Fred Bear and Ben Pearson. Ed says that everyone notes Howard Hill but always forgets Ben. Ed tells that Ben actually hit moving targets better that Howard. He even noted a shot made by Ben on film where a guy told him he couldn't kill a javelina at a distance of around 120-140 yards. They hauled out the enormous camera, Ben drew and released, the arrow sailed, took the javelina in the goodies and he piled up inside of 40 yards. I'ts supposedly on film somewhere.

Ed also talks of Ben Jr's Bed and Breakfast cabins that have waterfalls running around them. He says the cabins have old bows that were Bens hanging in them. It sounds to me like Ben's not gotten recognition but most of the greats of the bow didn't do things to be recognized! CK

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
The long shot on the javelina is on "The Legendary Hunts of Ben Pearson", along with several other hunts (including wing-shooting ducks and pheasants with a bow) and trick shooting.

Chad

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
My 1st bow was a Ben Pearson, I have 6 or 7 Ben Pearson bows plus a back quiver.

Offline V-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
Well, for me it started some 3 years ago with an old Ben Pearson Pinto that I had bought through e-bay. It had bad twisted limbs, I cut off the limbs and added new, black, limbs to it and from then I was hooked with refurbishing bows as well as building them. Since then I bought 2 Pintos and 9 Mustangs, refurbished and sold them again. The buyers really liked them a lot.
The picture shows my first refurbished Ben Pearson Pinto.

"If you have the will to win you have achieved half your success; if you don't, you have achieved half your failure"

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
V-archer, that is one pretty bow!

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
V-Archer, that is very interesting.  I've often thought of all those old beautiful risers of the 60's and why someone didn't figure out a way to salvage them and install new limbs.  Would love to see more of your work    :thumbsup:     Good luck...Van

Ed tells that Ben actually hit moving targets better that Howard.  
Heck, I could have told you that   :D      :D
I love this country ;-)

Offline waya

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2007, 02:18:00 AM »
I don't think Ben gets even 1/10 of 1% credit he deserves.   :mad:  
 Now where can I get a copy of "The Legendary Hunts of Ben Pearson"?    :confused:    
 Last friday I took delivery courtesy of Erik Krewson    :bigsmyl:      
  My son owns a Bear Kodiak and a Pearson Mustang and guess which one he grabs first either to shoot targets or to hunt with?

Offline John57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 03:02:00 AM »
My first hunting bow was a Ben Pearson hunter.
55LB 68inch,red riser wood with black limbs.
A truely beautifull bow.
Fred Bear was the big name then and I really wanted a Bear bow,,but I stumbled on the Ben Pearson hunter and discovered I had gold in my hands.
That was thirty some years ago but I'll never forget the bow or the name that came with it.
Sure wish I had that bow today.
Wish I was 16 again too,,,LOL.

Offline leftbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
I think Ben didn't have the noteriety of Fred because he wasn't the self promoter Fred was. Ben marketed his equipment and Fred marketed himself.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
Yep I know what you mean.  he was a great shot and hunter.  Bear isn't known so much for his shooting, (duck!- incoming!!!!).  But for his hunting - videos and books, memoirs, etc.  

Kinda like the Wright brothers getting all the credit for flying first.  What was that other guys name that actually did??? !!

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
His son owns a resort in Arkansas, and sells the video. It's quite good. Javalina, ducks(flying) and mountain lion with the bow. Polar bear also, if I remember correctly.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©