3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New glass needed.  (Read 399 times)

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
New glass needed.
« on: December 12, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
Between the Steiner Predator 8x30 and Leupold Katmai 6x32 or 8x32 would be my choices,,,,maybe n the Nikon Monarch series too. I'll be using them in pretty wooded areas with some open fields,,,, not very long distance viewing though. For about that price range is there anything that is as good or comparable to the Katmais? Higher end glass like Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica isn't in the New glass budget,,,, maybe WAY down the road they will be though.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New glass needed.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
A frind of mine purchased some Alpens' and they are really sweet. And the price is right, too. Sportsmans warehouse carries them.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
I have the Steiner Predator 8x30, they are good binoculars.  The focus system takes some getting used to.  
Downside, the "everything in focus" isn't true, you'll have certain ranges of things in focus, such as 20-75 yds, or 50-150 yds.  But it is not that much of a problem.
Where you are hunting, focus on the farthest thing you can see, then every thing will be in focus except for up real close.
UPSIDE...you see movement, pickup the binoculars, they point easily, and you can see what you want to see without fooling with focus.
The Steiners are waterproof and very light and compact, which are important to me.
Brightness, clartity, I think are excellent, especially for this price range.
PM me if you have more questions.
Dan

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 11:20:00 PM »
Very few binocular makers make 6 power glasses, but I think they're a much better choice than 8 power for hunting in fairly heavy cover.  My binocs are always around my neck and I like to use one hand on the binocs to look at stuff.  It's difficult to hold 8-power still enough with one hand to get a clear pix of what you're looking at.  Shaking the glass shakes the image.  The effect is much less pronounced at lower power.  I use 8x32 Leicas now, but I would trade them in a minute for 6x if Leica made them.  From what I've heard, the Katmai is a good glass.

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
For what it's worth, I was really impressed with the Leupold Olympics. I haven't bought a pair yet, but that's going to be the pair I get when I get around to it. Being out west, I'm after the 10x50's so the olympics fit the bill for me. I'm willing to bet the Katmai's are of equal quality and clarity. And you can't argue the Leupold service policy.
Is it September yet?!

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »
I love my Nikon's Monarch. 8x42 water proof and a warrenty that is a no fault type.  best $300 I have spent
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
For what it is worth, I bought a pair of 6x30 Leupold Yosemites, as the 8x Burris binocular I have were not bright enough for the dark woods.  Now, I am sure they are not up to the standards of the real expensive glasses out there, but I paid $85 for mine, and they are worth every penny.  They just work well.  Low light, good field of view, waterproof, light to carry all day. Just an all around good glass, and according to the reviews I read, the best available out there under $100.  I wish everything this inexpensive worked as well as they do, and after being caught for years in the "more power is better" mentality, I really like the 6x.

RonP

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
Love my Leupold glasses. Wind River is a lower priced pair made for Leupold out of their parts. Both carry an outstanding warranty. I just have trouble pulling myself away from a quality  product with such great customer service. My two cents worth.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 01:47:00 AM »
I like my Steiner's, but the Nikons are nice.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
I would go with Minox or Vortex in that range.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
Take a look at Eagle Optics Ranger series.  Very nice quality for the price.  I think you can move up a couple notches in quality without having to pay for a name brand price.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
How are the Eagle Optics as compared to the Steiners in quality?
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Juniper Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
I received a Nikon Monarch ATB for my birthday. I really like it, the picture is excellent, it isn't too bulky and comes with a very good 10 year warranty. It is a pretty high zoom at 10 power, but if you are glassing long distances it is really nice.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
Leupold.  I almost got the Katmai, but have the Olympics 8x40's.  Leupold service second to none.

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 06:12:00 AM »
Leupolds Wind River line is awesome glass for the money. I tested mine against some high dollar bino's, the expensive ones were not that much better, for 4 or 5 X the money.

Offline Bob N.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
If you live near a cabelas, you might want to look through their alaska guide series binoculars.  two years ago I sold my swaro 10x42 to get a pair of the leica brf binos, had problems with both, swarovskis warrenty dept is very good.  leicas warrenty dept is a joke, sold the leicas and went shopping again.  At Cabelas I had all the binos outside at dusk,  the Guide sreies were as nice as the High end binos plus the warrenty is unbeatable, and the price doesnt bring a tear to your eye. They are made in Japan by the way.  Good luck.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »
Pentax makes a good ones with 90% of the high end quality for 50% of the price.

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
To figure out the maximum light transmission capability. Take and divide the magnifacation into the objective lense size ( 6/32= 5.333). The human eye can only dialate to 5mm there for the ideal number for lght transmission is 5. If your hunting thick cover light gathering is key to seeing into the bush. Of course the quailty of glass will only improve this number. Also what I have learned about optics is the quailty of glass is directly proportional the the price. Buy the best you can afford.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©