INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Priceless Gift  (Read 592 times)

Offline Greg2201

• Trad Bowhunter
Priceless Gift
« on: July 12, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
First a little background. About three years ago I lost an Uncle to cancer. I was extremly close to this man and I still think of him often. We had many things in common and he was a role model for me in many ways.

Fast forward to this past week. I was in MS for several days to attend the wedding of one of his sons. While talking to his other son I mentioned that I had really gotten into traditional achery and asked him to keep me in mind if he every ran across any "old bows" (I do this with everyone now). He told me thought he knew where an old bow might be. He asked me to meet him at his mother's house later that day.

Well when I arrived he walked outside holding two bows.........both of them belonged to his father, my Uncle. He told me I could have them. I was speachless. One of the bows I remember being around the house when I would visit during the summers as a child, that has been many years ago and I had forgotten all about it. Not positive about the other bow. I have posted some pics. The camo bow is a Super Kodiak (the one I remember) the other a Kodiak.

I have removed the camo from the Super and I believe it is a 1969. I cleaned the Kodiak and it is a 1965 if I understand the serial numbers.

The only slight bummer is that I shoot left handed. However my son will inherit two very nice bows.

I am going to try to restore the Super and I think I will be giving a name to each bow as a memorial to my uncle. I still tear up a little when I think about him and although I really don't remember him shooting or hunting with a bow I know he would be happy to see these bows getting used.

I just thought I would take a minute and share this Priceless Gift with my fellow Tradgangers.

So long to MY UNCLE MAC.
"A Liger, pretty much my favorite animal, it's like a Lion and a Tiger mixed. Bred for its skills in Magic." -Napoleon Dynamite

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Priceless Gift
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 01:46:00 AM »
Wonderful story. It's nice to have the memories that bring up the strong emotions. It means they are real. Your Kodiak is a 1964. A very desireable and great shooting Bear bow. Take care and thanks for sharing. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
outstanding story I love it plus 2 great old bows.As Cam mentioned the other bow is a 1964 and they are good shooters.That Super K is beautiful......if it could only talk bd

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Oddly your '64 does have a '65 serial number. Perhaps made very early in '65 on the old '64 forms. Or perhaps built late '64 and not serialized until early '65. It is a '64 design for sure.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Two great bows and best of all from an uncle that you really liked and looked up too! Congrats!I see one is 40# what weight is the other?
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
I'm wrong. The first digit of the serial number corresponding to the year didn't start until '65.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
May your uncle rest in peace.......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Greg2201

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the info on the year models. The Super K is a 50#. Am I right about it being a 69 model if the serial number starts with a 9?

I removed the camo from the Super K and it has some pretty wood. It will have to be refinished and I might give it a shot. Or I might just be smart and sent it to Bowdoc.
"A Liger, pretty much my favorite animal, it's like a Lion and a Tiger mixed. Bred for its skills in Magic." -Napoleon Dynamite

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Refinishing the bow is a good idea. You will extend it's life and restore it's beauty.
I highly recommend sending the bow to Bowdoc.
His fee is most reasonable and the work he does is absolutely amazing!
He does'nt just give the bow new varnish. He goes over the bow with a fine tooth comb and what's not right is addressed. No shortcuts with Donnie. I have several bows and limbs he refinished years ago and they look like they were just made still.
Your bows are very nice and worth restoring....Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 06:22:00 AM »
Your uncle was a man of great taste in bows!  Those are a couple of treasures there.  Very cool that you ended up with something so special to remember him by.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:
bolong

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Generational and priceless. Does not get any better then that!!!!!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©