INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Grayling Factory  (Read 637 times)

Offline kwikeekwiver

• Trad Bowhunter
Grayling Factory
« on: August 21, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
I was sitting here watching the Bear video series, as I do seems like every August,and was watching Rural Rt. 1,where they show how they made the bows back then.... and I am thinking,man! How do you get a job where you get up in the morning and get to go to work and make bows,clock out, then come home and maybe go hunting for a couple of hours. It surely must have been the life!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grayling Factory
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Yep, it surely must have been nice!  

However, I found out something interesting not long ago.  While visiting a major bow production facility with over 30 workers, I was told only 2 or 3 of the employees bow hunt or attend any shoots for fun.  For many, it's just a job to get a paycheck.
Lon Scott

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
My brother in law worked at the Grayling Bear factory during the seventies. I can remember him telling me it wasn't uncommon for an employee to get overcome from glue or finish fumes while doing their job. I guess that would kind of take the fun out of any job.
Jack Shanks

Offline jim g

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
I live not too far from the old factory, if fact I stopped by it a couple of weeks ago, its now vacant, I used to stop by when it was open, you could go to the front desk and ask if Fred was in, sometimes you could go right in to his office and chew the fat with him, had buddies do it but he was never in when I asked, also we used to shoot at the archery club behind the pro shop, one sun we stoped by the shop and Fred was behind the counter, took us upstairs and put hunting movies for us, pretty neat

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »

This was from my trip to the Grayling shoot this past June. I walked/Drove around the old plant for abit one morning. It was really cool.

Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline jim g

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
The old front offices are gone but the main factory is still standing, Chuck where you took that pic is where the office stood, Freds office would be right in front of you.

Jim

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
It sure was good to stand there for a bit. So much of our bowhunting roots sprang to life in that building.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »
You hear so much about what Fred would do in terms of public relations and the ad hoc time he'd invest with archers.  It's amazing how a man running a large business could take the time to make so many intimate connections spontaneously.

Regardless of your opinion on his bows you have to admit he was a huge positive influence.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
NOBODY did for bowhunting like Mr.Bear did for bow hunting.
Right time,Right place,Right Man.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Some great photo's. Hard to even fathom the amount of history that came out of that little town.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
I wanted to walk around to find an open/broken widow so I could get inside but I guess that is not the right thing to do. It was cool to stand outside in the quiet stillness of a wonderful Michigan morning.
Glad you like the pics.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline jim g

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
It was used for a flee market i believe after Bear moved

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
Sad photo
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
It is in a way Philip, Kinda like finding an old trppers cabin out in the forest. I just wonder what was happening on any given day.

I think about our fore-fathers,Fred bear and Howard Hill, and think about what they did and still do.
They wanted to build a business and they used themselves to promote the business. They had a vision to bring bowhunting to evrybody. They made products to make this exciting and fun,The old films had to be a something to see when they first hit the big screens. They got people fired up to go out and shoot arrows and hunt wild animals.It is something to think that the same exact films can get a fellas blood pumping even today,decades later. Is it about the fine art of promotion or is about the man?
Sad to see that old run down building for sure,I think it is sad to see any building that is let go,but this one sure has impacted MILLIONS of people. I think that old building did it's job pretty well.
I can only hope that the strides that the Bear archery company is taking now will hold a candle to the flame Fred ignited. Seems they are working at it.

Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
I dunno about it being a dream job.  Except perhaps for a bowyer or two doing the final tillering, most jobs were probably pretty boring.  File nock groves, next bow, file nock groves, next bow... for eight hours?  Sort of like flipping burgers all day.  No wonder not many bowhunted!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Two Tracks:
It is in a way Philip, Kinda like finding an old trppers cabin out in the forest. I just wonder what was happening on any given day.

I think about our fore-fathers,Fred bear and Howard Hill, and think about what they did and still do.
They wanted to build a business and they used themselves to promote the business. They had a vision to bring bowhunting to evrybody. They made products to make this exciting and fun,The old films had to be a something to see when they first hit the big screens. They got people fired up to go out and shoot arrows and hunt wild animals.It is something to think that the same exact films can get a fellas blood pumping even today,decades later. Is it about the fine art of promotion or is about the man?
Sad to see that old run down building for sure,I think it is sad to see any building that is let go,but this one sure has impacted MILLIONS of people. I think that old building did it's job pretty well.
I can only hope that the strides that the Bear archery company is taking now will hold a candle to the flame Fred ignited. Seems they are working at it.

Chuck
Well said Chuck. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at that plant in it's heyday.
Currently, Bear Archery is certainly trying and Neil Byce is the biggest reason. He keeps the traditional product line up and running and listens to customers feedback. I hold him in a high regard.
Incidently, he is on the 1984 Bear catalog cover along with Fred Bear.

..........Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
1984 and that was the latest and greatest bow on the market.
I think Niel is doing a good job as well. It will be good to see what comes in the next few years.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©