INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: keeping vintage bows strung?  (Read 829 times)

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
keeping vintage bows strung?
« on: September 06, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Guys, I know this has probably already been covered, but will ask again.  Can I leave my early 70's Bears strung?  I hang my bows horizontally by the string.  Didn't know if the older lams would dislike the pressure of staying strung.

I shoot my bows daily and love being able to pick em up, check brace, and start flinging arras.

Thanks,
Andrew
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: keeping vintage bows strung?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
I never did. I do leave modern bows strung though.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 05:48:00 AM »
I keep them strung unless I know I am not going to use it. I hang my bows as you do but limbs rest on hooks. Have not had a problem.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
I have a 59K that has been strung for ever.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Have a 67' Wing "slimline" that's been strung for months......on numerous occasions...zero problems...hung by the string horizontally.Also a 67 1/2 Super K.....strung for 2 months...works fine for me.
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Have left numerous Old Bear bows strung for months with no issues. Hung horizontally by the string.

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
I leave a lot of mine strung,also, but I hang them all vertical by the string and one limb. Is this a problem?

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
No, it's not a problem....unless something goes wrong! In my opinion and experience, a strung bow is more likely to be damaged if it falls to the floor than is an unstrung one(though anything can happen in a drop.)   I usually leave all the bows I am shooting a lot....usually several, strung and hanging vertically.  Others are unstrung and hung horizontally on pegs supporting the limbs, of course.
Tom

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
The best chance you have of damaging a vintage recurve is when stringing or unstringing.  Since it will not hurt to leave theses old gems strung up (as long as they are stored properly), it is actually best to leave them strung up rather than taking a chance of damaging them.

If you use a bow stringer properly, you minimize the probability of damage while stringing or unstringing.  The old "push pull method" can be used in the absence of a bow stringer, but one slip of the hand can put your eye out.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER....step throuth the string to string or unstring a bow.  If you use this method you had just as soon set the bow in a vice and twist the bottem limb out of shape as hard as you can.  This will save you time in ruining ypur bow, because eventually that's what the step through method will do for you.

Just my thoughts.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER....step throuth the string to string or unstring a bow. If you use this method you had just as soon set the bow in a vice and twist the bottem limb out of shape as hard as you can. This will save you time in ruining ypur bow, because eventually that's what the step through method will do for you."

While I dont anymore, I have always found this information posted to be "interesting" (not looking for a battle, just saying) since from 1960-1980 or a bit later, that was the only way I or anyone I knew strung a bow.

Number Ive seen twisted doing so?  zip.

Technique to them all it seems but while I dont now (normally) I wouldnt be afraid of doing so if needed. Push/pull just seems easier in most lengths to me.

Just thoughts, not arguing.

God bless
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
Once a guy brought an old bow to sell me, I think it was a Herters 45# pull that had been strung a long time. It pulled about 20#. I have to believe you shouldn't leave a bow strung indefinitely.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
If I'm going to use it, I will string it. And leave it strung until I'm done using it. To me if you're not going to use it, why keep it strung ?

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
I have used the step-through method for well over 30 years (as I was taught in school and in Fred Bear's book), and never had an issue. As long as you go slow and use your torso, keeping the upper limb high up, against ones body to bend the bow, keeping both limbs in line, there shouldn't be a problem. Keep your strong hand FLAT against the upper limb as you twist, stringing with your weak hand. I have NEVER had a problem, and I un-string my bows (both new and vintage) after I'm done hunting or shooting. I don't want to chance the string breaking or the bow being picked up and dry fired by a novice if I'm not around. That being said, there have been LOTS of reports of twisted bow limbs from the step-through method (impropery utilized), over the years. I would tell anyone new, "get a bow stringer". I'm just too set in my ways to change at this point.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »
Personally, I do not leave them strung, except after straightening a twisted limb, then I will leave it over night or longer.

I had a heavy wt. Schulz Longbow with a twist in the lower limb, it was quite obvious, after straightening I left it over night and then after checking it the next day, unstrung it. Several days later, I strung it and it was off again. This went on for a few more days, and finally after straightening it again, I left it strung for over a week, and it stayed straight.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
I have a 60", 60# Kodiak from 1956 with a double twist in the lower limb, and have seen others with a twist in the lower limb. It looks like it was caused by the step-thru-method. I used that method a few times many years ago. The push-pull method can result in a twist low in the lower limb, particularly with the narrow limb bows like the early Bears. The Kodiak was bought not too long ago, and it will be tough to get the twist out below the fadeout in the lower limb. Once that is done, the one in the recurve, that is in the opposite direction should be easier. I prefer bowstringers for recurves.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
I used to do it.  Learnrd fron the school of hard knocks not to.

Also not looking for an argument.  If you want to chance it...do it.  My bow collection is worth more than that to me.

Just sayin'.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
No argument here friend! You ARE correct, the bow stringer is the way to go! I'm just a bit over halfway through this journey, and too stubborn to change.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
I leave most of the bows that I shoot on a regular basis strung, old or new. More chance of damage during the stringing process, even with a stringer. Plus, I'd rather have one let go while hanging on the rack than at full draw!
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
To address the original thread.....Yes - I do leave some bows, both vintage and somewhat recent customs, strung.....if I am shooting them everyday or quite often.  I leave my wife's 1962 56" Polar strung all the time.  It has been strung basically since I brought it home in May....she shoots it all the time.  Like everyone else has noted, you take more chance damaging a bow when stringing than any other time.

When I got my first recurve in 1961/62, the step through method was the only method I was taught.  I NEVER saw anyone ever use a stringer.......I'm not sure I ever saw a stringer in those days.  I bought a used 1962 Kodiak in 1964.  That bow was never left strung.  It got shot a lot......until I sold it in 1982!  In all those years, it was strung by the step through method.  When sold in 1982 the limbs were as straight as the day I pulled it off the rack in 1964.

Of course....that being said......I NEVER go anywhere now with a bow.......without my Webster stinger!

Dale Dye sent me a new style stringer.  Similar to others that I've seen, but appears to be made specifically for recurves.  Kind of neat.

:archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
Yup, I used the step through method to string and unstring my bows every time I used them from the early 60's; never had a problem.
That said, I began using a bow stringer in the mid 90s and haven't looked back.  Correctly done, the step through method will work fine, but why chance it when stringers are so inexpensive and easily available now?
Oh, and I will leave my Widow strung indefinately, but everything else only stays strung while it's being used.  I just don't trust some of the old glues after so many years.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©