INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: keeping vintage bows strung?  (Read 828 times)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: keeping vintage bows strung?
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
My 59 Kodiak that I nicknamed "Broken Heart" has been strung since Bowdoc finished the restoration 101 thread and sent it back to me.  I shoot it almost every day so I just leave it strung. Everything else is unstrung.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
I've told this one about 100 times if I told it once.Walking around the flee market one sunny saturday morning 10 years ago or so and bam low and behold I see's a beautiful 1958 bear back quiver setting on a sellers table.Hey nice quiver ... thank you,you can take it home for X bucks.Cool I'll take it hey you got the bow to go with it I ask ? oh yeah I have it in the trunk of the car.Give me about 10 minutes and I'll dig it out for you.
10 minutes later the guy pulls out a 1958 Bear Kodiak 64" as I recall 65#er.I know the weight was 65# not sure on the length I'll have to check my notes.Anywho the old bird is strung and strung with the original 1958 Bear Archery string.I ask him the seller if he strung it that morning and he says no no I did not.No I did not and the fact is.That was my fathers bow and he passed away in the early 1960's and the bow has been hanging in our garage ever since my dad died.It was hanging along with the quiver and arrows you bought.I asked are you sure the bow has been hanging there strung since the early 1960's holy smokes you sure ????? yes yes for sure he said no one has ever messed with it until now......I buy the bow quiver and arrows for 65.00.I went straight to Northwest Archery and tell Joe StCharles the story the guy told me.Joe down strung the bow and we replaced the original string just in case.Joe scaled the bow and confurmed the scale weight of the 1958 Kodiak was still 65#'s as marked.Never hurt the bow being strung and never lost any draw weight amazing but true bd

Offline Xavier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
Nice story. I believe it. Amazing things really.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©