INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Kodiak Special Questons  (Read 339 times)

Offline John in Grayling

• Trad Bowhunter
Kodiak Special Questons
« on: November 09, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Just bought a 1955 Kodiak Special, 64", 54# @ 28".  The bow is near mint, with slight age discoloration.  When I strung it, I noticed more of a gap between the sting and top limb versus the string and bottom limb.  (7 1/2" on bottom and 8 1/4" on top limb, at the fade outs)  Is this normal for that year, and is the bow safe to shoot?  I would post a picture, but I'm not that computer literate.  There are no cracks, twists, or stress marks on the limbs.  Also, what's a good brace height to start off with?  Thanks, John

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kodiak Special Questons
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
Welcome John
It is fairly common with the older Kodiaks to have that discrepancy you describe. Doesn't seem to affect shootability at all.
You should be pretty close with that brace height, twist up or down to find the sweet spot, and enjoy!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
yap kind of common to see those tillerd like that.But as mention it don't seem to matter on those.The brace could be 7 1/2 - 8 1/2.The one I have shoots a bit better at 8 1/2  Got pics ?????????? bd

Offline John in Grayling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Thank you for the welcome seboomook, and thank you both for the info.  Just got a new string for it from Josh Sowerby, and can't wait to try it out!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
It is called 'chesty' by some and does not matter much. From '56-'58 most were like that.

Offline Windsurfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
Hey John,
My name is Dave and I live on Higgins Lake, nice to find someone else who likes Bear bows.  Have you been hunting?  Any luck?  I have a few Bear Kodiaks and K-mags and hunt (in the Deadstream and around Higgins/Houghton L.) with them, mostly the K-mags.  Been seeing deer but have not been able to connect yet.  Now that gun season is here it will get even harder.  Best regards,

Offline John in Grayling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
Dave,
Been hunting the Jones Lake area off 612 (Exit 264).  I've seen lots of deer, but no shots yet.  Hoping the gun hunters aren't hitting the area too hard.  December 1st can't come soon enough.  Good luck!  John.

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
Bjorn is correct in the chesty term and it is because to tiller a bow properly the lower limb is usually intentionally stiffer. If you really look most every bow is this way. Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©