3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: your most unusual trophy  (Read 2393 times)

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
your most unusual trophy
« on: December 12, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
hey everyone,

earlier today my friend was telling me this story about some guy who lives on the same floor as him in the dorms who hunts with a longbow, and my friend was telling me this guy has shot a bat with his bow. I didnt believe it at first but my buddy said he saw the pics of it. So i wondering do you guys have any unusual kills with your stick or string? wether it be a buck with werid horns or a bat lol.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: your most unusual trophy
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
my first trad kill was some bird flying(yes flying) out of my dads car port
Martin rebel recurve 45#@25"
Fred Bear Montana Longbow 50#@26"

"Hunting is the last perfect thing"
-Ted Nugent

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
12" timber rattler!  But doubt if most would call that a trophy!

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
my most recent kill was a hairy tailed mole that has been terrorizing the garden.  tiny little guy that wouldn't come above ground.   had to watch the dirt moving and figure where he was.  subterranean heart shot.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
Nutria, looks like big swamp rat with choppers..LOL.. :)  ...they cause more damage in water areas down here... :)  ...Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays..
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
Woodcock out of the air, with an 89lb. big 5, about 18 yards.  Ate the meat, mounted the bird.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
I shot a bee hive once when I was a kid. Never did that again.    :eek:

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
Yep, I got me a winged rat not too long ago!!!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Gurn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
Boys them flyin rats are hard to hit even with a shotgun!!
Just because it don't work for you, don't mean it don't.

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
One summer day I was shooting a recurve in my backyard trying to get ready for deer season when I spotted a chipmonk running across the yard. I drilled that sucker on the run! Talk about a one in a million shot!Now if I could only hit the deer that well.....hmmmmmmmmm
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
Isn't it amazing that we can make such rediculous shots yet miss an entire deer?  :biglaugh:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »
There is a reason for that, deer have telepathic powers that render their predators to go blind, suffer mild strokes, and burn brain cells

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
Domestic turkey at 12 paces...nuff' said...  :bigsmyl:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 03:13:00 AM »
A coyote at about 10 yards right at about dark.Came in lightfooted and i was on the ground and with no groundblind.i was in position low to the ground and she was coming right to me and at about 10 yards she came up and stepped up on downed tree and looked right at me head on.I was at full draw allready and aimed for the center of her chest.i shot and heard an eerry growl.I figured I hit her.i found her the next day with an arrow right through the shouder blades burried to the bottom of her rib cage..From the time I shot she swapped ends so no chest hit.The oppisite side.That was pretty cool and a  memorable hunt for me.I always wanted a yote.I made quiver out of her

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
Called in a coyote to 3 paces a few years back. She had that 'deer in the headlights' look as she finally figured out her dilemma.
A buddy and I used to have a mouse hunting contest in elk camp. We stacked a few of them up with our longbows.
I took a prairie rattler while bowfishing; that was pretty strange. I was about knee deep in water and here comes Mr buzzworm, swimming right towards me. I had to move him away with the tip of my bow before I could stick him with a fishing arrow.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »

Not the strangest but it's the smallest. I whent 4 for 4 in mouse camp this year all head shots as well. Little overbowed but the 75# Morrison is one heck of a mouse killer. No the hats not mine! It belongs to Al Klenk fron NJ he brings quite the assortment to moose camp every year.
hunt it

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
I killed  a bobwhite with a rock when I was 10.  It ain't archery but it was trad.    :bigsmyl:
short fat bald and broke is no way to go through life

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
snapping turtle. I have killed a lot of them; but if your familiar with the critters; they do not die easy.
 In this particular case I was bowfishing with my brother; and he got into some mud up to his thighs; and was trying to get unstuck. The water was only a few inches deep at that spot; and he hollered at me.
 I turned around to see a huge sized snapping turtle- headed towards him; walking on the mud rather.. fast.
 My brother couldn't turn in the mud to shoot it; and was more than a little concerned.
 When it struck out at him- I shot it in the head with a metal blunt tip at about 30 yards. The shot was incredible- but what I am here to tell you is that the turtle died instantly!
 I don't mean it took off and died; I mean it fell head and neck extended into the water with a 'plop'; and that was it. No twitching; no nothing.
  My brother will remember it forever; but we ate the evidence    :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
Actually a toss up for me. How about a 70" diamondback and an 8.5 year old piebald doe. The doe was white/mottled from the shoulders up and came in at dusk in the swamp. It took me a few moments to convince myself I wasn't looking at a ghost because the white neck appeared to be just a floating figure above the palmettos.
DonD

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
One afternoon I was shooting my McKenzie deer in the back yard. A lizard ran across the front of it and stopped in the 8 ring. I picked a spot
(in this instance it was the whole animal)and released. The result was a perfect heart/lung/spine shot. The arrow hit behind the shoulder and all that was left top and bottom was skin. This was the smallest "game" I've ever taken with my recurve.

Jon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©