3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: your most unusual trophy  (Read 2409 times)

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: your most unusual trophy
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
Here is the feathers of a dove I shot this year.  I still can not believe the dove flew off.  But he was not flying straight,  he had a little wabble.  
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
well this should get ya laughing i stuck my self in the leg with a zwicky.        :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline hoebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
Wow, I would watch showing off bat photos. They are protected in many states. The gamewarden might visit you. I found out the hard way. They read tradgang too, then they get your info and show up when least expected, with a ticket book in hand. watch it
ABR

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
Thanks for the warning. It was a pest in our house and I couldn't catch it. I posted the story on Highlights.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 02:29:00 AM »
HO'NEHE JEFf,  tell us how you done that so we can learn from your mistakes.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 05:12:00 AM »
Mr. Krebs, that is a great story!

Mine goes like this. My good friend and sometimes employer came to me one day telling me that he had a critter in his pump house and that he couldn't get in there on account of it. Well, naturally I was thinking "what kind of critter could possibly keep a full grown farmboy away from his pumphouse?" Well, he convinced me to investigate. I loaded up the dogs and followed him out to the desicrated pump house. He pulls over about 3/4 of a mile away from the spot and tells me its probably best to walk in behind the dogs from there.

Well, I grabbed my old Wasp and made certain I had a couple of Zwickeys with me and unloaded the dogs. Now Hilton was doing his best to help me with this, but he was clearly nervous and decided it would be best if he stayed in the truck.
 The dogs and I wandered in to the pumphouse and when we got close it was pretty apparent that there was a large, angry creature in there--so I called the dogs by me for caution sake(considering this is lion country). After a few minutes of strategical thought, I decided that the best tact would be to just keep the dogs close and gingerly kick the door in---you know, to gain the element of surprise(after all, I had my mighty dogs with me).
 I managed to get the door kicked open when I realized that my dogs were nowhere in sight(naturally I assume its because there is an Apex predator amuck).
 In the meantime, here comes my friend Hilton armed with----get this--a wrist rocket!
 He and I discussed strategy for a few minutes(meanwhile the dogs were back in the truck)and we decided that he would climb on the top of the pumphouse and jump up and down to "spook" the critter out. Meanwhile, I was going to be in a spot that I could get a shot with a Zwickey.

Hilton started his routine before I could get set up(of course) and thats when all hell broke loose! The creature came blazing out and jumped immediately on the top of the pumphouse with Hilton(the kind of stuff that wins 10,000 on Americas funniest videos). He did a dance that would surely won the Dancing with the stars prize before him and the little devil careened off the roof of the pumphouse and into the sagebrush.
 I whistled the dogs up so I would have backup(I never even had a chance to see the mess first hand----this happened pretty quick). The dogs just wouldn't come out of the truck--period.

In the meantime there goes Hilton hotfootin' across the sagebrush in a direct line AWAY from me and the pumphouse. So naturally I'm assuming its me and this devil.

I nocked an arrow and waited still-hunt style for the evil creature to produce itself--and then I saw movement on the corner of the pumphouse, I just loosed before I could think and sent a 650gr arrow on its way. It was pretty obvious the arrow struck paydirt because there was a HELL of a ruckus in the weeds there. I decided the critter was small and dead enough that I should go and watch its demise. I rounded the corner of the house just to get a blast of skunk spray that covered EVERYTHING. That skunk had a Zwickey run through from fore to aft, yet he had enough in him to give one last act of defiance.
 Lesson learned-----listen to the dogs!!

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2007, 12:52:00 AM »
Jeff, thats a funny story.
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2007, 01:06:00 AM »
I still have some gear that stinks when it gets wet.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 01:43:00 AM »
As a kid I shot an arrow skyward..   :rolleyes:    :eek:    It sailed up a ways,then came back down in the center of a bush in our yard. All at once a chicken came running out with that arrar standing straight up out of it's back..   :scared:   I had to chase that darn chicken and catch hold of the arrow,which came out quite readily,the whole time this chicken sqwauking(sp) up a storm.I took my bow and arrows and wandered off into the nearby woods..   :smileystooges:    :campfire:

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »
During the summer months, me and a couple of buddies have been known to spend the better part of an hour shooting at bumble bees.  The neat thing is when you miss, they only fly 5 or 6 yards away and you get another shot.

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
My first was a dove when I was about 12 years old.  I hit it when it was taking off at about 3 ft high.  On the wing!!!!
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
A 50 yard shot on a cottontail that jumped up when I shot and the arrow hit him in mid air. The whole thing was an awful accident for the rabbit and according to the guys I was with made me better than Robin Hood. I don't think they ever figured out that I didn't know the rabbit was going to jump. It happened simultaneously. I sure wasn't telling them the whole thing was an accident.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
One time a big rat got in our basement,I hunted it down and killed it with a tommahawk. I had a ruger single six in one hand and the tommahawk in the other.
After I killed the rat,I came upstairs and I still had the pistol in one hand and the now bloody tommahawk in the other. I can't really describe the look on my wifes face.....    :campfire:

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
Got nothing to compare with you guys that was shot with a bow. I have many interesting "trophies" from a lifetime outdoors (and indoors too) but the real wild ones were taken with f***a**s and the last time I mentioned an experience with those I heard about it. Just your run of the mill white-tails with the bow. I have had opportunity to take other critters but never loosed the arrow. Always waiting for the buck.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
ok jim this is how it happend i was inside sharping the head when i finished i cleaned the head and walked out side and down the stairs well i dropped the arrow and it turned over once then twice i thought it had stopped so i walked down to pick it up and you guessed it it turned over once more and stuck me. the thing is never carry an arrow down stairs.  :banghead:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I'll remember that little bit of advice.......

Mine is the same as Jason's, I center punched a large, active behive from 15 yards one day with a friend standing besides me watching......did I tell you I'm terrified of bees??????? I found out that day that I run much faster than my friend.....  :scared:    :bigsmyl:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by el oso:
I killed  a bobwhite with a rock when I was 10.  It ain't archery but it was trad.     :bigsmyl:  
LOL.
I killed a robin with a matchbox car when I was little. I was holding my Mom's hand walking around in the yard. My Mom's says "Look at that pretty little..." as I'm throwing a matchbox car sidearm at the same time. I'll never forget the look on my Mom's face.
That's when it all started..  ;)

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 01:49:00 AM »
Killed and ate my first game animal when I was five with a lilac longbow and a bodkin broadhead, poor little bunny tasted good too.  My weirdest was a pheasant out of the air. I missed the close one I was shooting at and hit one ten yards further out.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 05:29:00 AM »
I hunted on a farm that the landowner wanted every groundhog on it gone, so when this fellow came along I took him. Very unusual!

Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »
Saber tooth grown hog now that is a trophy   :thumbsup:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©