3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: your most unusual trophy  (Read 2392 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: your most unusual trophy
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
well this is auctually a miss. had a BIG bat flying around the apartment when my wife and i were renting. so to show of my mountain man skills and impress the young lass i grabbed my bowie knife. i am pretty good at knife throwing. bad landed on the molding of a door frame. i snuck up to 4 yards. threw the bowie and BAM, drilled the molding and frame next to the bat. split the molding from top to bottom and broke the old 2x4 in the frame, one hellava mess!!!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
a water heater
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jbat73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
Drilled a Chipmunk at about 28yds on a stone wall with my Modoc self bow, unusual part, the arrow fell about 6" short and took the chippie on the ricochet right in the boiler room.
White Mountain Traditional Bowhunters

Granite State Bowhunters

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
I shot a chicken out at my uncles farm on the run at about 45 yards.  Once every two years or so we thin the herd down.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
I have killed ALOT of groundhogs in these last two years, but that one I woulda mounted, I know tons of guys around here that have probably killed upward close to 100 whisle pigs a year, I kill close to 50 a year and have NEVER seen anything like it, AWESOME!!!!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
I would have to say my most unusual was Big Bird. I was deer hunting on a place a friend of mine owns and he told me " There is this big emu running around on my land. If you want to shoot it, go ahead. I have no use for it".

So, on opening day of deer season, I'm sitting in my blind at day light. The feeder goes off. Several minutes later I catch movement off to one side. I get ready. In walks this giant bird, lays down under the feeder, and proceds to stretch its neck to every piece of corn on the ground. That was a mistake for him. I shot him.

Emu meat was supposed to bew "the next red meat". NOT!!!! That stuff tasted terrible and I will never shoot another one.

Bisch

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Bobwhite-running on the ground. Hap

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
I've killed a lot of critters, but the one that really got my attention was a 58" Diamondback with 17 full buttons. I almost stepped on "Joe No Shoulders" during the Texas early archery season, while heading to my mono-pod in grass up to my butt. Pinned him to the ground under a cedar tree with a well placed arrow, after missing him with the first shot. I was shaking like a leaf. Left him to die and made my way to my stand for the afternoon hunt. Came back after dark but was real careful where I walked. Was even more careful crawling under the low limbs of that cedar to retrieve that bad boy. He now resides in my gameroom under glass. He was one big snake.

Offline Kajun Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
I was 10 years old and my grandfather told me to shoot any chickens in the garden he kept.  I had a recurve my dad gave to me, and I shot one at 15 yards.  I was so proud, but later found out that it was the neighbors chickens.  Our neighbor had a habit of not keeping his animals contained.  My grandfather was elated.  I got a scolding from dad for killing the neighbors bird, but later when he questioned me, I did make a good shot.  The arrow went straight through the chest.  The neighbor never found out.  My grandfather was a great man.  Lived to 94.  He was a little difficult to be neighbors with because he worked so hard to keep his farm up.  Just started shooting recurves again this year at 44 years old.  I miss my grandpa and dad, but will never shoot another chicken unless it is for Mardi Gras gumbo.

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
my most unusual trophy was a big alligator snapping turtle....i walked up on two breeding one morning and decided to rid the pond of them:) now that big snapper's whitened shell hangs on my wall with the broken carbon arrow still sticking in it.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
my first kill was on my first season and my first hunt with a recurve.  sitting close to a trail and kept hearing something "walking"  lots of dead leaves from the year before and was very dry so any thing that moved sounded like a heard of cattle . finally i saw it a 3 foot cotton mouth.  yards away i drilled it through its head.  and i thought" well this trad stuff is pretty easy. that was 3 years ago and my only kill sense has been a cotton tail. that shows me for thinking
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
I was grounded as a kid from hunting because of coming home too late.  I stopped the tractor I was discing with when I saw a big jackrabbit and threw some vice-grips at him and stuck them in his side.  He flopped over and died.  Came home with the rabbit on the front of the tractor at dark and my parents are still shaking their heads over it.  That was 35 years ago.
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2010, 06:22:00 AM »
I'm sorry about my post. I don't know what I was thinking.

It was a great story but had little or nothing to do with my most unusual trophy.

I apologize! I'll try to be more careful in the future.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
How about a Badger. Caught him away from his hole. He was diggin as fast as he could in an unused hole when a shaft went in his ham and came out under his chin. Didn't even hardly quiver.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
How about two Emu's, a dingo and a Brumbi!! No pics unless authorized to do so! Not everyone into Brumbi kill shots   :readit:
hunt it

Offline string bean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
I guess when I was around 8, I pulled the suction cups off my arrows and taped a nail on the end. Got me a little fish at the edge of the pond.  That was my first and only trad kill and my mother still don't believe me 31 years later even though I brought the fish home   :(
It's not about the kill but the experience.

Omega Royal Huntsman
Crowned Eagle
Black Hunter
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Shot a field mouse that was about 1" from my left toe after kicking a grass hump while rabbit hunting with a bunch of guys from the bow club. Some still call me "mouse killer". This was 20 years ago and was using a '67 Bear Grizzly my great nephew has now.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
52 years ago 25 cent arrow and a limb with a string tied on it.10yd shot at a sparrow, thought i missed,looked a long time for that arrow.Found it the next day with the sparrow on it under the tree.Still bowhunt every year.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
Robin at 80 yards with a BB gun.  I was 8 and my buddies and I were traipsing around the woods shooting at everything with our new BB guns.  mine had a scope and my buddies told me I couldn't hit the bird at that range.  The usual ribbing and betting was going on.  I pumped her up to 20 pumps took very careful aim.  That BB flew straight left dropped him dead on impact.  The guys held me in awe for years after that.  Never did tell them it was luck.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Hoser1268

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
Here is one. I shot this one during archery. He must have been hit by a car. His skull plate was cracked and the horns must have just fell over. When he was skinned there was some infection in the wound but it seemed like it was healing. He was chasing a doe when he got it.

54" Morrison Cheyenne Longbow 42@26
54" Morrison Cheyenne Recurve 46@26
54" Rocky Mt. Recurve  52@28
50" Sierra Blanca Recurve 44@26
52" Sierra Blanca Recurve 50@26

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©