INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Date Easton Aluminum Swift arrows  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Rabob

• Trad Bowhunter
Date Easton Aluminum Swift arrows
« on: November 24, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
Does anyone know when Easton came out with the aluminum Swift arrows without any anodizing and also when they started using the anodizing process?? Thanks in advance.

Regards,Ray

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Date Easton Aluminum Swift arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
I believe the first aluminum arrow was introducted by Easton around 1939.  The xx-75 came out in 1955 and pretty much ended production of softer, less quality aluminum arrows like the Swift.

So...between 1939 and 1955, but with the war in progress from 1941-45, I would narrow that to 1945 and 1955.
Lon Scott

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
We were using Swift arrows in the late '60s for NFAA and Naa competition.  

Average shooters used Swifts, better shotters used XX75s, the top shooters used X7s.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
I remember shooting the green game getter 24srt shfts in the mid 70's. Didn't they come out before the xx75s?
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
A Cleveland area bowyer named Emil Pikula gave me a couple of aluminum shafts he said he made in the 30s. Perhaps they were Eastons, perhaps he had the date wrong, who knows. There was also an early aluminum arrow referred to as the "needle nock". I've had one sitting around for so many years that I've lost track of who made it -or if it could be the Pikula shaft!  Darn, it's hard getting older!

I still have a bunch of Swift shafts, and some non-anodized 24SRT-Xs.  I agree with Jack, they were both made at the same time.  The earliest X7s that I remember were anodized-blue, I think.  I was never a competitive shooter, so anything I learned came from my collecting efforts.  The anodized GGs and Autumn Orange XXs came along in the 70s, I think.
Tom

Offline Rabob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
Thanks a bunch guys,you have been a big help.I'm shooting mid-60's Wilson Bros bows and wanted to start shooting that time period arrows.Looks like I need to be looking for the Swift arrows.
Thanks again.

Regards,Ray

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
Well not Eastons but I thought I'd post this info for you guys, the first Alum. Arrows

"Ye Sylvan Archer" April 1928 page 20...

Another Tru-Flight Metal Arrow Co. ad...reads

"The Tru-Flight Target Arrow, made from aeroplane tobing,well-known for its strength and lightness,fitted with hardened steel point and fibre nock, meets the requirements of the most fastidious. Single Arrows $1.75  6 Arrows $9.00
    Tru-Flight Metal Arrow Co. Fox Chase, Pa."

I have a set of 1929 aluminum arrows. Steel points and interesting nocks.

They were originally owned by Captain George J. Higgins, and have a note with them that states

"Set of eight purchased from Archers Co. Pinehurst, NC for $50.00 in 1929 Used in the Olympic Trials in 1932, Los Angeles, 1936 Berlin. Refletched in 1940, games canceled. Won competition in Honolulu Nov 6 1941. Not used again until 1960, Finest arrows I ever used".

Tom, the needle-nock was an invention from Bill Folberth...........Hink
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Rabob, I read where Doug Easton had applied for a registered trademark for "swift"  in 1964.  Don't know how long before that they were made.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
Rabob;

During the 1960's the old green gamegetter was pretty popular for a hunting arrow, which was the anodized Swift arrow. Only those who could not afford the new GGG still bought the silver Swift and the 24SRT's were strictly used for target archery. I have a set of silver colored swift 1920's yet?
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Kelly, my first set of aluminums were the green anondized swift 1920s.  Still have one or two.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
Ray,
I have a lot of Swift 1920 shafts, but they are a pretty stiff spine.  Also, some 2020, 2018, and smaller diameters too, but I'd have to recheck exactly what they are....none are marked, so it's a good project for a winter evening.  I have quite a lot of 1818 point inserts, a very unusual size. So, if you know what spine you are looking for, let me know.

Hink, thanks for the reminder on the needle nock.  I got some stuff from Folberth's god-daughter many years ago.  That's probably where it came from.

Tom
Tom

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
I'm thinking xx75 came out in the mid-sixties; swift and 24srts generally faded away after that.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by oldbohntr:
... There was also an early aluminum arrow referred to as the "needle nock". I've had one sitting around for so many years that I've lost track of who made it -or if it could be the Pikula shaft!  Darn, it's hard getting older!
Tom -

The 1030's "Needle Nock" arrows were made by the well known bowmen & famous inventor & holder of many archery patents, William Folberth, also of Cleveland.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Dad shot tournament in the 50's and 60's starting out with 24SRTX and then went to the silver X-7. 1916 was his arrow of choice.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 12:26:00 AM »
Thanks to Wade and Hink....had forgotten that Folberth was the guy on the needle nocks.  

Ray, I have 50 1818 Swift shafts for you and maybe that many screw in inserts....have to dig up those inserts, but I had them last winter when I sorted all those old shafts. I had 1818 inserts in the original packaging for years and kinda kept looking for these odd size shafts but was told by a lot of guys that they'd never heard of an 1818. The 24 SRT-X was the first marked Easton shaft I've seen, so Swifts have to be mic'd and checked with an insert.  

Also have some 1814 Swifts...I think....they are 18s for sure, but I have no inserts that are known to be 1814s, and my mic's don't give the exact ID.  

Kelly, as you know, I was on a tear finding all the 1920s I could for quite a while...as usual I went overboard and ended up with way more than was planned.  I could pretty much supply a Crusade with 1920s!!!  However, I did learn that Easton made this shaft size in Swift, GG, and AO.  However, the AO are REALLY hard to find!!!
Tom

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
I would love to see a pic. of the needle knock arrow....

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Hi Rick, Here you go......Hink  :cool:  

A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
Thats great Hink..Good to here from you.Don't get on here as much as I used to.Rick...

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
Hey Rick.......no problem...if you have the time stop by the  Traditional Bowhunters Expo in Kalamazoo coming up on Jan.27-28-29 2012 I'll be setup right next to Lonnie Collins, stop by and sit a spell. It should be a great time there this year.....Hink

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2023, 09:21:11 AM »
Can anyone refresh this thread with photos of the needle nock arrows?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©