INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Green striper making slapping noise  (Read 855 times)

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
Green striper making slapping noise
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
I have a 1990 green strip take down with 50 lb number 1 limbs. It makes a loud slapping noise the first arrow after being strung and then it is fine would any body know what is causing this and how can I fix it

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Green striper making slapping noise
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
All of my Bear TD do the same thing....I always just chalked it up to getting things "settled" in place. Same as you, after first shot no issues.

When I am heading afield I always make a point to take at least one shot after assembling the bow. Just to make sure the "noisy shot" is out of the way.

I would be curious what others have experienced.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
Strange I never noticed that,mines look to be quiet since the real first shot!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
I never had that happen either with my green stripes. Curious.......
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
I'm not saying it happens all of the time, but my first shot usually sounds like a 'settleing in' shot also.  All clear after that.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
You got me I have several Green stripes not had that prob , with almost all my Bear T/Ds the first draw after putting in a set of limbs and stringing I will hear a few small pops , dings ect ( limbs seating in ) But havent had your issue , do you draw the bow several times before you shoot that first arrow........
,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
Mine does it. First time after you restring it.

doug77

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
Yes I do draw the bow before the first  shot. I have had the bow for about 10 years and it has just started making the noise

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Yes I do draw the bow before the first  shot. I have had the bow for about 10 years and it has just started making the noise

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 05:50:00 AM »
I'll chime in. I leave mine strung 90% of the time therefor no noise. When I switch out limbs or restring, OCCasionally I'll here a noise when I first draw. I wrote it off as "setling in " ...new limb, slighlty different contact point , etc. I have not consistently noticed it on the first shot as you described, especially after 10 years. I would go over the limbs and latches closely and maybe wax the contact points on riser and limbs, and locater pins ??? Don't know if that would do anything but hard to treat when can't diagnose.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
check your brace if its to low in the low 7's it will creeeeeeeek for the first 4-5 pulls and sometimes everytime.Low brace can also cause string slap noise after the release of the arrow.And no do not put wax or bar soap inside the sockets fact is its better if you clean them out real good bd

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
Thanks guys I will go over it closely to be sure there are no cracks any where and keep it strung. I didn't know if any one else was having this problem to. Thank y'all for your responses      Hogless

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
If that bow is a LH send it to me for testing. I promise..... I will not send it back until I find the cause of the noise, no matter how long it takes.

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Thanks bow dc I cleaned the sockets with acetone and that did the trick no more slapping noise. It is a right hander thanks anyway raghorn.    Hogless

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Just wondering , Why no wax Bowdoc ?

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
I'm still wondering why a "slapping noise" was coming from his bow. The brace height mentioned earlier by BD makes the most sense to me.

Wonder what cleaning the sockets actually stopped from happening to eliminate the slapping?

The only sound any of my Bear T/D bows ever made was a "click" upon limb set which most always disappears after 1st pull of the bowstring.

Interesting tread.

...........Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
Still wondering about the wax.......wax on , wax off ...

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 06:30:00 AM »
Hi Guys, First time on this forum. Lots of great info.

I have a first shot issue with my 2005 A riser, no1 limbs @57#.

Always, first cold shot sounds like the arrow is slapping the riser. It has driven me mad!

My arrows are hitting the same mark with fields, broads and bare, same weight points. Arrow flight is good.(cx 250 29.5"  150g points,575g)

When I first got the Bow I noticed a 'tick' when the bow was drawn, every time. I used a little string wax at contact points and this cured the tick but try as I might I can do nothing about the arrow slap noise, first arrow.

Very occasionally it wont do it, which just adds to my frustration.
I thought my problem was arrow tuning, now I am not so sure.
I would be a very happy camper if this could be cured as it is bothering me from a hunting point of view when only the first shot counts.

Andy.
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 06:52:00 AM »
brace height is the key trust me on that one.And if your take is squeeeeeeking on the first shot or two and then stops squeeeeking try this just once for me and you'll know for sure.Open your latches and draw the bow once or twice and see if the squeeking stops ? if it does ? that squeek is caused by the leather taps on your latches.A good cleaning with saddle soap will stop the leather taps for squeeking.
Now Chadster old buddy geezus I bet your pissed at me too ahh ? I'll tell you the whole story at bear camp this spring........now about the wax in the sockets ? think about this everything and anything likes to stick to wax.Things get into the wax over the years and soon it will collect enough stuff in the soft wax to maybe just maybe do to crap build up prevent your limbs for seating into the sockets correctly because there to much wax and crap in there.Keep your limbs and socket clean bd

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
That makes sense BD....I was thinking of a thin coat of Renaisance wax that I use on carbon blades...not gobbing candle wax in there. Yeah , definitely don't want bugs and twigs in my limb pockets ! Could never be mad at you BD....even though you still have my baby....?Remaining damage and ETA before Christmas ?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©