INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear A and B risers question?  (Read 6397 times)

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear A and B risers question?
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
Ok I am not a Bear authority but often see people wanting either of these risers. Can you tell me the difference between the 2,what years they were produced and if you have pictures as well of them, and the going cost if you can find them and also why people want them? Thanks Flint

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear A and B risers question?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by flint kemper:
Ok I am not a Bear authority but often see people wanting either of these risers. Can you tell me the difference between the 2,what years they were produced and if you have pictures as well of them, and the going cost if you can find them and also why people want them? Thanks Flint
Flint,
the Bear T/D is certainly not liked by all and it definitely does not shoot nearly as good as modern custom bows.......HOWEVER, the Bear T/D has a soul.
I cannot explain it. No one can.
You must dive in to the world of Fred Bear to understand it.
The Bear T/D was PapaBear's crowning achievement!
It is also the only bow he would use once it was completely developed and used it for the remainder of his life.

A brief answer to your question;

Offered first in the 1970 catalog and into the 73' catalog I think.
A, B or C riser with 1,2 or 3 limbs. All going from short to long offering many length and weight options.

Bear Archery pretty much never stopped making them. Magnesium handles were made by the ton and are indestructible.
Futurewood risers, although not advertised after 73', were being made still if ordered.

Bear Archery immediately started making wood  risers as soon as they got settled in Gainsville after the move there. Only the B riser was offered with #1 limbs.
The early wood versions command the collector market and A risers seem to be the one being chased the most.
B risers come in second and was Fred's choice, as mine.
Bear Archery is making a TERRIFIC Take down today and offer both A and B wood risers and #1 and #3 limbs.
Hope I helped a little.

If you want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes, try shooting a VINTAGE-BEAR KODIAK.
Talk about soul.....  :help:  

.........Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Flint, here's a few examples showing some wood Bear T/D bows.
1st year type 1 A riser, green stripe B risers, Fred Bear signature bows......Take one hunting and you will be hooked.......

TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
I agree with everything you have stated , Philip, EXCEPT .....I feel the takedowns  do shoot as well as most " modern" takedowns and better than  many. They fit me .

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
I will modify what kuch said... "shoot as well as most "modern" takedowns and better than MOST."
Lon Scott

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
I did not want to seem overly biased  !! The search is over for me...

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Kuch...Blackhawk.....

I try and not ruffle feathers when I speak of how "vintage-bears" shoot. Obviously, we are fans of the Bear T/D.
They are my favorite and my go to bow.

In regards to modern bows and taking my emotion out of the equation, I must say that my Silvertip and Trails End bows out shoot my Bears any day of the week when comparing same length/draw weight with the same arrows. I also see the difference in penetration on animals.

The speed, balance and cast are amazing and do outperform the Bears.

But like I said earlier, they lack soul to me.

I have picked up some great Bear T/D bows that I want to photograph and share with you guy's.

Waiting for my daughter with the camera.
........Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Oh, by the way.
I look forward to and anticipate you guys jumping in but what's with the NO PIC replies!

You know it's more fun with pics......  :goldtooth:  

I think Flint had asked for some pics!!!!!

Let em have it boys!
........philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »
Chad

You probably recall my request to be added to your will regarding that A handle!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Steve95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
When we are talking performance, are we talking how loud a bow is with regards to hunting? To me any bow that you can drive tacks with, is quiet and has the speed to kill is as good as it gets. Bear had all of that figured in! There are some great custom guys and they do a great job remaking the wheel. The engineering of some of the 60's bows / 70's takedowns still remain at the top, all things considered.   :nono:

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
I have to agree with Phil on this one.I'm sure there are many bows that "outperform" the old Bear take-downs,but no one can build one with as much soul or mojo as an original Bear take-down.If you appreciate Fred Bear and the influence he's had on so many of us,then you just gotta love the bow that was his favorite 'til the end.I loved Phil's pictures so I had to post one myself.It's raining here,ugly day,so what better thing to do than play around with some Bear stuff.Never noticed how well my rug matches the Grayling tuxedo jacket.I could wear that in the woods!

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Nice pics,guys!
This is my opinion on the shooting specs of a Bear TD:
-the riser is for sure the best TD sistem ever developed,plus it is ,with its mass,very stable,because the design is very forgiving and accurate.
I rank the riser design among the best on the market.
-The limbs:well,the limbs are the weak point of this bow,they are quiet,but with stack after 28"
and for sure not speed demons.
-Using some aftermarket limbs,the only one I have trayed,like the Rose Oak Creations you boost the performances:speed and smoothness,mantaining the great features of the riser.This combo update a great project,transforming the bow in one of the best recurve on the market,along with the top customs.
You can improve some performances,as I did,using a skinny ff string on the green tip limbs;at your own risk! I did and I am been happy.
I wouldn't do that with some more rare white tip limbs,that are a no so bad shooters.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »

I really love them!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
No feathers ruffled , but in keeping with the idea of  "most".....I feel almost all bows are capable of "outshooting "  90+%  of trad shooters when properly tuned.And I don't feel I'm capable of shooting "The best performing wizbang recurve" any better than my Bear. That said , I feel it comes down to those intangible things like "feel",history,nostalgia, sentimental value, options.Obviously we are on the same page with these bows.

And I agree 100% with Felix

Tony , which one ? The Type 1 ?

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
WOW guys great information. I am for sure a nostalgia guy. Currently shot a string follow David Miller bamboo bow, but due to a badly broken wrist earlier this year I am having a few problems shooting a longbow. Thinking of making the switch to a recurve to see if it helps or not. Can you tell me the riser lengths on some of these and are they hard to find in a reasonable price? I appreciate the photos and feedback. Flint

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
John, Please tell me more about that bottom B handle.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 05:43:00 AM »
As far as prices....if you are not sure this is the bow....try a Magnesium riser ( almost another thread)  Cheaper , same latch system, grip  options . Whichever A, B,   MAg or wood , these bows are easy to sell also , if you want. I'm a midget and draw 27" so I prefer the A's.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
hey Chad the idea with your idea about the mag handle ? it sucks and your not a midget just over 3 feet tall but not over 40 inches tall is not an actual midget by todays standards ask Tommy.
We talked about mags & midgets around the table that night you and I remember ? the problemo with trying a or a b mag handle before you try a wood handle ??? the mags actualy shoot way better then the wood handles do.Both my mag handles have been tuned.The screw behind the strike plate set to the spine of the arrows I been shooting out of both bows.....both handles are fairly well matched now.The same limbs(3# less on the B does not affect arrow spine) same grip same arrow same weight arrow bla bla bla.The mags are 100% you can tune-er-up and if you take a few minutes to get a or a b mag all set up for yourself they are super good shooting bows.What the heck all the adjustments of a fine target shooting bow built right into your favorite hunting bow what more would one need ? bd

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Chad

Yep!  That's the "one"!  Love the grain on that riser.  That zebrawood riser ain't bad either!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©