3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new recurve shooter with a few questions  (Read 358 times)

Offline okiejaco

• Trad Bowhunter
new recurve shooter with a few questions
« on: December 12, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
I decided that I wanted to get a recurve and finally got one. I have been shooting a compound for several years but wanted to try something different. It is a #45 Ben Pearson that looks to be in great condition. Figured this would be a good starting weight that I could still shoot a deer with. Most of my questions have been answered already but I still have a few. Is it possible to string this bow without a stringer and not mess it up? Also, what brace height should I start with and how do you determine what is best? I am going to start out with some 1916 arrows, with 125 grain field points. Do you guys think this is a good starting point? What is the main difference between tabs and gloves? Not sure which way to go on this one. Thanks alot for all the help. If it wasn't for this site and all the information here, I would have been real worried about getting a recurve.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new recurve shooter with a few questions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
always use a stringer so you dount twist the limbs. tabs usally give a cleaner release. Gloves are always ready to use as long as you have it on  :)
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
I`ve never used a bow stringer in my life and have never hurt a bow yet,buuuut I would suggest you get one. They are cheap,easy to use and will keep you from damaging your bow. I`ve always used a tab and recommend them,however I have friends that shoot gloves and shoot as good as I do and they would`nt shoot anything else. Start around 7 1/2" on that brace height.See how it shoots; if it hits your wrist,twist it to shorten it some,if you cant get good arrow flight,shorten it a little,if it`s noisy,yea you guessed it,shorten it a little. Shorten in 1/4" differences to your brace height at a time. I think you got a great starter outfit there. Wait a bit and I`m sure there will be other suggestions that will be different than mine,so try them all and see what happens,it wont hurt a thing. Good luck;  Bob

Offline Jager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »
My friend broke my bottom limb trying to unstring my Marriah Thermal. Stringers are defienetly cheaper then a replacement bow. Plus finding a good replacement, plus its like losing your best friend!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 04:16:00 AM »
stringer is the way to go, but I will admit the last couple years before I switched to longbows, I did the push pull on my lee and didnt have a problem with it at all.

I do push pull my longbows.  

Bh is what it is.  WHere it's quietest and where your arrow flys the best is the standard and I'd obviously opt for the 2nd one.   Usually they go hand in hand.  YOu can fine tune with your BH.

Gloves are nice, they are always there, and is what I used for a long long time.  I switched to a tab oh 8 maybe 9 yrs ago and havent looked back.  The hard part is finding something that is comfortable that fits.  If you dont shoot much a regular damascus or deer skin glove is fine.  If you shoot constantly your fingers WILL pay the price!   I prefer the cordovan tab.   I would like to try a big shot and a few other gloves though.   They are definatly nice in cold weather while wearing rag wool flip tops (or 2 shorts glomits made by thinsualte).   The tab kinda hangs up where the glove is under neath leaving only two fingers exsposed which is remedied with a glove liner and some trimming.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 04:24:00 AM »
What model Ben Pearson did you get? Those are nice bows, I have a few myself. Your arrows sound right, also, though we don't know your draw length or the length of the arrows.

Let us know how you make out!
Killdeer  :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline okiejaco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info. Pull length is going to be close to 29". The bow is a hunter. It will have to warm up some before I can shoot. We just went through an ice storm and supposed to have snow coming tomorrow night. I will go ahead and get a stringer. Sure would hate to mess it up.

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
Go with the stringer. You will still be temted to push pull, especialy when you are tuneing. If you do string it by hand  don't look at the limb tip while you'r doing it, if it slipps it could poke  your eye out   :scared:  .........I have a scar on the side of my head from where my #55 recurve slipped while I was push pulling it.
short fat bald and broke is no way to go through life

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 06:58:00 AM »
Shooting tabs are generally agreed to be more consistantly acurate - cleaner release. I could never get used to them and use a glove. You may have to go to a lighter point or up to 2016's if you are pulling a true 29". Bow stringer for recurves, push pull or even step thru for long bows. Find another trad archer to give you some pointers on form. Shoot from close, 8-10 yards, and work on form. Smooth draw, slight cant to the bow, solid anchor point, back tension, good release. Accuracy will come with form.

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 08:28:00 AM »
Sent PM
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©