3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Common are Snakes When HOG Hunting?  (Read 843 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
How Common are Snakes When HOG Hunting?
« on: December 12, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
Hey all,

I am going to be spending some time in southern Florida the first part of next year and I have been thinking about going hunting for some of the feral hogs that roam all over the place.  My sister and her husband have about 60 acres of land that has a nice lake on it and it seems it would be great hog habitat.  Besides that the area they live is literally full of places hogs could roam.  They are in Punta Gorda which is a pretty rural place after you get off the interstate.

One thing I absolutely despise is snakes.  I usually try and stay away from areas that I know contain snakes, I hate to even see them let alone get close to one.  So I am just curious to hear what the odds would be of me running into one as I am walking around or standing while out hog hunting.  I watched a show the other day about rattlers and they had some real BIG snakes on there, they said they can get to a length of 8 feet.  If I would be walking down a path or something and heard a rattle and then looked and seen an 8 foot rattlesnake I don't know what I would do, it would scare the heck out of me.

What do you all think?

Thanks for the info.

Nala

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Common are Snakes When HOG Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
Don't go huntin in FL  :scared:    :scared:    :eek:

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
If you dont look for them you wont see them,but they`re there. Man,you would`nt want to live where I live. I`ve killed over 40 in the 7 yrs. since I`ve built our house,16 while we were building it. But I never find them cause I dont look for them. My wife or the dogs find them. The only one I`ve found is one that was under the gate as I drove in. I had one coiled up under my chair while I was cooking steaks out back of the house. My wife seen that one as well. I was wondering why the dogs would`nt come around me even with steaks on the grill. I`ve got a skin of a 6 1/2 footer on a beam in my house from one my wife found inside my shop. She makes darn sure that door stays closed now. My neices were visiting once and told me they were afraid to go out in the dark. I told them we would go for a night walk after supper to show them there was nothing to be afraid of as there was nothing in the dark that was`nt out there in the day time. They had to bring flashlights,so I told them they could only use them in an emergency. We did`nt go a hundred yds. into the woods and I heard rattling. The youngest asked what it was and I told her. At that the oldest said"I bet we get to use these flashlights now". Ha Ha  But back to your problem,Get you some snake leggings-----------sissy. Just kidding,get the leggings. Good luck ;Bob

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 12:26:00 AM »
Don't let the fear of snakes deter you from hunting, I've been hunting in South Louisiana and S.W. Mississippi all of my life and haven't been bitten by a poisonous snake, been biten by king snakes, rat snakes, chicken snakes, grass snakes, etc. which are all non-poisonous, but all while I was catching/handling them. I've had some close calls with rattlers and cottonmouths (which I've never tried to catch) most rattlesnakes with not strike unless provoked, ie. stepped on, poked at, harrassed etc. Cottonmouths are a different story, they are, in my opinion, much more aggressive when approached. I have never worn snake chaps or gaiters but If I hunted the lowlands, I'd probably try the Lacrosse "snake proof" rubber boots. To me snakes are just another part of the terrain, not to be scared of just respectful and cautious of. I bet if you posted a poll question on here that asked "How many have been biten (invenomaited) by a poisonous snake ?" you'd be pleasantly surprised, it would not be many. Don't let the fear of a snake deter you from hunting hogs in Florida, get you a pair of snake boots, or gaiters and go have fun......
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 12:38:00 AM »
Pigs love to eat the snakes....
Just watch where ya step and have a good time Huntin pigs...
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »
I'm born and raised in the Miami area, hunted, fished and frogged all over the south and central part of the state for nearly 40 years. Like some of the others said, they're around but not worth worrying about. If you're afraid of them then get ya a pair of snake boots and then pay a little attention to where you put your feet now and then. Also, if you're hunting anywhere there is actually a good hog population chances are there won't be very many snakes around anyway. The hogs eat em.  :)  - eric

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 01:26:00 AM »
I hunted in Australia for 5 years and every time I went out I saw Snakes (Joe Blakes).
95% of them will kill you inside 2 hours if you don't get immediate help.
King Browns,Tigers,Coastal Taipans,inland Taipans,Death adders,Coral snakes, ect ect.
Most people go into shock so fast, you "have" to have a mate with you,,,or you die.
But,,,,never gave em" a second thought,,,just don't step on em' is all.
Hear they taste ok too.
Cheers.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 03:02:00 AM »
The cottonmouths are aggressive at times.I had one literally come out of a tangle of roots at me that meant business in the Spring hunting turkeys in central Florida.since theni keep an eye out for them when aound water and root wads etc in florida..would never detour me from hunting down their though.Its low risk.if you are bit skittish some snake boots may ease your mind.

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 06:09:00 AM »
Lucky you, ....bow backings   :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  and snakes taste good too.
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 07:16:00 AM »
Been hunting bottomland hardwoods with a ground cover of solid palmettos with lots of hogs for about 17 years.I have never run into a rattlesnake maybe couple of cottonmouth in that time.Go hunting but be more careful on the interstates while driving much more dangerous.Kip

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
I second the opinion for getting the snake chaps and having at it.  Been hunting swamp land for 12 years now and though and I've seen plenty and been close to more than a few but don't give them a second thought.  Good luck and go hunting...  :thumbsup:
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »
Also, I use to live in the Sarasota FL area and had read that the area use to be a haven for rattlers, did not see too many while I was there but the terrain is nice for them.  I would have liked to have hunted them, but did not know anybody in the area other than my wife.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
I've hunted and worked in snakey country all my life and other than a couple of ornery cottonmouths I havn't been "attacked" yet. The good news is, if there's lots of hogs there won't be many snakes! then you'll just have to wory about the hogs, wich for my money are scarier than the snakes.
short fat bald and broke is no way to go through life

Offline rbaustin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
Hunted almost 20 yrs in the Fakahatchee Strand of the Everglades, lots of snakes...had 25 members hunting 10,000+ acres...club was in existence for over 30 yrs....not one snake bite in all that time. We had them and saw them on a regular basis.....even killed a few to eat (rattlers)...like others have said leggings are the answer and just watch were you step. You will love hog hunting..it really gets the ol heart pumping.

Good Luck
Shoot straight and tell the truth

Offline returntoarchery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
And then you've got the non-native species in south Florida like the Burmese pythons. Those puppies can grow large enough to eat alligators, deer, pigs, small stature bowhunters....  Not to make you nervous or anything just food for thought.  :bigsmyl:

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
hey if you want som help im in orlando  :)

Offline camocowboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
went to Orlando a while back on a business trip. Just as we drove through the toll booth, I saw one of the biggest rattlers I'ver seen stretched out sunning on the shoulder of the road. He had crawed out of some of that thick swamp stuff down there.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
I live in south ga. and we got a few snakes. I`ve been struck at a few times but never bitten . I would persuade you to get some snake boots. A quality pair will be comfortable and water proof that alone is worth wearing them. I`m willing to bet that the few people that are bit while hunting in Ga. and Fla.every year wish they had them on.Don`t let a two foot cottonmouth spoil your trip.
  For the record my hunting buddy John Bookhart`s Granddad was struck in the face by a rattle snake while fishing and died.RC

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
dont worry bouit the snakes and just hunt.  i hog hunt in short with snakeboots and have had some strike but never hit.  dont worry just shoot a porker.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
This photo gives me willies every time I see it!  I hunt around snakes all the time, but don't get too close.  Playing with them leads to most bites!

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©