INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Unwrapped my '64 Kodiak  (Read 697 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Unwrapped my '64 Kodiak
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
I normally don't do much buying on the big auction site anymore.  But last week there was one listed that I just couldn't stay away from.  A 64 Kodiak @ 45#.  The pictures and description were a bit vague, and I think that is why the bidding didn't get too carried away. I ended up winning the auction, and the bow arrived here yesterday.

64's are known for being fairly plain looking, but the wood on this one really looked nice to me.  It's looking like a great candidate for a refinish job.

About the only major defect I could see upon initial inspection was that a Bear quiver attachment had been added at some point.  I could live with that.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Unwrapped my '64 Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Headed out to the shop to put a string on it and put it on the scale.  I am always very careful when first pulling a bow that has come in.  I brought this one back part way and noticed some twist to the right showing in the lower limb.  Lowered it back down and then drew it part way again to watch the upper limb.  As I reached about half draw BAM!!!  What the heck???

Lower limb.

I've dabbled in a fair number of old bows during the past couple of years.  Nothing like some of you, but this is a first for me personally.  How disappointing!  Not only is some good money down the toilet, a real cool old Bear bites the dust....  "[dntthnk]"    "[dntthnk]"    "[dntthnk]"
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Is that some thing that can not be fixed?
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Whip,
How was the bow described in it's description?
Was it said......have not strung it, or don't know if shootable?
Curious.   :confused:  
That's a painful photo........I'm sorry to see that happen to you or anyone.

........Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
Here was the description of the bow:
You are looking at a vintage Bear Kodiak Glass Powered Recurve. It is 60 inches long and has a pull of 45#.The bow has several small dings from years of use and a residue that appears to be from a tape on quiver. Above and below the riser are small cracks that run length wise with the limbs, about 4 inches long each. Think they are in the clear coat only. Limbs appear to be straight. No string. U.S. shipments only please.

The cracks they talk about are the standard vertical ones seen in so many old Bears, and not very bad actually.  So while they didn't state that they hadn't strung it or know whether it was shootable, the fact that it didn't have a string kind of told me there was some risk in this deal.  Can't say I didn't think about that, but just couldn't look away from this one.  If it had stayed together I think I would have had a good deal. You just never know....
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Joe, that's terrible.  I was watching that bow with keen interest but let it go.  I am sorry this has happened to you.  

That is upsetting.  Perhaps heat exposure at some point?
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Joe, I am sorry to hear that. That really sucks.

I guess that is the risk we take with buying from folks on the 'bay who really don't know anything about the items they are selling.

I am glad you didn't get hurt!

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Very disappointing!! I would be a bit upset and contact the seller. Perhaps something could be worked out that would make it not a total loss from both party's. I just find it hard to look at a classic old bow that has come a part like that relizing what it would have looked like when you were done!! Anymore it's buyer beware on that auction site.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
That's awful when that happens!

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
Thats to bad about your bow Whip,something that that has not happened to me yet.

doug77

Offline Steve95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
Wow! Sorrying to here about this. I too bid on your bow and would have stayed a it longer had I not all ready won my share. Makes one think of what might happen. Sorry again and maybe next time the gamble will go your way.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
I don't know if contacting the seller is the right thing to do.  I'm not accussing them of anything shady.  My visual inspection didn't reveal a thing.  And I had looked carefully along the edges, etc. - really gave it a good looking over.  

Of course if I were buying it in person I would have strung it up and checked the limbs, but we don't have that luxury when bidding online.  I noticed the limb twist right away before even getting to full draw, but that's not all that unusual, so wasn't overly concerned until I heard that terrible noise.  Ouch!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
You know, maybe we should ALL unite and have ANY seller, ourselves included string and stretch the limbs of ALL bows they are selling.
Unless the bow is listed as;
Unshootable, wallhanger or unwilling to do it.

If the seller states they have no string or ability to string, BUY AT OUR OWN RISK.

I will purchase this way from now on.
Sorry again Whip, I feel for you brother......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
Whip, unfortunately there was nothing the seller could have done to foresee that delamination outside of stringing and pulling the bow. And again it may have held for him. Perhaps it was just the bow's time.

I lost two classics due to delams and limb breakage and the sellers were friends of mine. Just bad luck they went when I owned them.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
Sorry about your bow whip.but glad you did not get hurt.

Offline copicasso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Is there anyone who still relimbs bows. I had Mike @ Maddag do my 56 Kodiak but word is he won't relimb them anymore.

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
MAn, sorry to see that happen to you Koe....
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
Hate to see that happen Joe.  I was bidding on that bow as well.  It tends to even out in the long run, but sure hurts when it happens..

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Joe,

That is a crying shame! It is bound to happen once in a great while though. I have only had one blow up so far and that was after I had shot a hundred arrows or so through it.
Jack Shanks

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
Easy enough fix.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©