INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Gilman Keasey and Nels Grumley  (Read 659 times)

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
Gilman Keasey and Nels Grumley
« on: December 10, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Gentlemen, I am interested in the history behind both of this historical archers. Any information about these incredable bowyers would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know who is credited with the creation of the Buchanon dip riser and when it first appeared. Thanks for any info or sources where I can read and view their work, It is greatly appreciated. Jacques A. Bonin

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gilman Keasey and Nels Grumley
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Keasey was the 1936 World Champion Archer and made some great Yew selfbows with sickly high numbers of growth rings. I am sure you will soon get a bunch of Grumley info which is more common knowledge in these waters. Jim

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
James Buchanan, noted British bowyer, introduced the "Buchanan dips" in the 1880s.

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
Oh come on you Bear nuts pour some Grumley on this fairly new members question. Jim

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
I have seen this gentleman's request and would like to offer him some information,at least on Nels Grumley but I really don't know much about him.Although his bows are some of the most sought after by collectors and he is regarded as one of the finest bowyers who ever whittled a bow out of a tree,to my knowledge,not much else has ever been written about him.I know he worked for Bear Products/Bear Archery from around 1933-1948 and was regarded as one of the best bowhunters in Michigan back in that era,shooting a deer in each of the first three Michigan bow seasons,1937,'38,and '39.He did make bows before he worked for Fred and some of those can be found with just the name Grumley branded into the bow just above the grip,usually on an angle.He also made bows AFTER he quit working for Fred for a couple of years.These may be referred to by collectors as his "Rockford" bows as that is where his shop and home was located.The bows I have seen from that time are usually marked with just the name Grumley written on the upper limb,or Grumley custom.I heard he also worked for an appliance manufacturer and that he even worked in some form at Floyd Eccleston's archery shop in Mt. Pleasant,Michigan.I was told this by Floyd himself many years ago.I believe he died some time in the mid 1970's.
 I have never heard much else about him and have often found it odd that there is not more information floating around about this well known and well respected bowyer.Perhaps Wade will chime in to fill in the large gaps of my small bit of Grumley history.I would like to know more myself about the man.Where he was born?When he was born?Where did he learn his craft?Where did he meet Fred Bear?What did he die from,was it old age?Sickness?Where was he buried or was he cremated and his ashes spread somewhere that was dear to him or his family,similar to Fred Bear?  :dunno:  
 Wish I could add more.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©