INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Happy 100th Birthday Glenn St. Charles  (Read 512 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Happy 100th Birthday Glenn St. Charles
« on: December 14, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
Tomorrow, December 15, 2011 is the 100th Birthday of Glenn St. Charles.

As a group, last Saturday, Dec 10, Board Members of the Nebraska Traditional Archers celebrated Glenn's 100th Birthday, five days early at our Monthly Meeting as you can see in the photograph below...

Tomorrow a couple of us are going hunting all day with vintage equipment in memory of Glenn. I'm taking a St. Charles Thunderbird, a St. Charles Back Quiver, Mickey Finn Broadheads and a few other mementos from Glenn.

As Glenn frequently said, wrote and gave instructions as the consummate mentor that he always was...

"Keep the Tradition Alive"

Let's keep our memories of Glenn alive...

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Happy 100th Birthday Glenn St. Charles
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Wade,congrats for a fine gesture,I'll celebrate this great forefather from this side of the pond.
I'll take my signed TD to hunt once again.  :clapper:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
dang it Wade you kicked ass again this week for who's the man votes.........dude that is OUTSTANDING right there you rock my brother.We'll never forget that old bird he was one of the best bd

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac18/Warberg/2011-12-14132301.jpg
two votes for Wade.
Few collectables from Glenn, more sentimental to me.
Super idea huntin tomorrow in honor of Mr St Charles Wade. I will be also. Proudly honoring a true Legend.

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac18/Warberg/2011-12-14132453.jpg
 Lets see all the St Charles goods.
It Wouldnt be right if we didnt thank all the tradgang guys that shares there knowledge and collections to learn more of Legends like Glenn. Thank you

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
Glenn is a legend and will never be forgotten.

I met him many times and loved talking with him.
He was another guy that had a way with words.

He once shared a hunting story back when whatever came down the pike was fair game.
None of this "trophy hunting" stuff that we see today.

He see's this young buck while bowhunting but the buck was going away from him. the only thing facing him was his butt......

Glenn sent an arrow straight up his . . .!
I was laughing so hard with that story!
His son Joe, who was standing next to us was not laughing......He's a great guy also.

Here's a couple pics I have of him signing some arrows, knife set and books.
I will shoot one of his signed arrows tomorrow in Honor of his birthday.

Thank You Glenn for all you have done for our sport. You inspire me still.......   :notworthy:  

"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Cruiser78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
I seen Glenn several years ago at the nationals in cloverdale Indiana. After he gave a seminar he walked back to his camper. His wife came up worried to death looking for him not knowing where he went. Someone pointed out that he was back at the camper & that they had probably passed one another in the dark. I laugh to myself knowing that this man had hunted all over the world in some of the roughest country know to man & there in the middle of hundreds of traditional bowhunters she was worried.

Happy Birthday Glenn!!!
Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything,
But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
As much as I miss hanging out at NW Archery, and listening to him, and the others, that used to drink coffee out of that old thermos around the corner, seeing Suzanne, Joe, and Jay, looking at all the trophies on display, along with  arrows, Broadheads, etc..
 My best friends son working there,(Troy) getting a "thank you" every year from Suzanne for ordering her arrows, meeting a lot of different Archers, who loved to come in and just be welcome...
You just do not meet those kind of people at Cabelas....
Glenn St.Charles will ALWAYS be a hero in my book...
(but real surprised that 230717700611 has nobody wanting to buy it, or ask questions) Oh, well blame it on the economy, HAPPY BIRTHDAY GLENN, may he run the ridges he always loved, Ridge Runner George R.I.P.
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
He knows whats on the "other side now"..
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
You're right on, Wade.

No one did it better than Glenn....no one.  Every time I read the things he'd done at my age, every time I walked along beside him when he was a much older man, and every time we talked about any subject -  I thought: Damn, I wish I could have been as tough, and as smart a man as this man is, at whatever age!  At any age, at any time in his life, he was someone all of us could and should aspire to be. He never lost his wit or his wonderful sense of humor. I never met a "celebrity" who was more humble!  With an incredible memory for details, he could surely work a crowd, and was always looking for something new and interesting.

A few months before his passing, he heard Joan read our grandson's essay about traditional bowhunting ...he'd met Landon before and he said several times "that kid should write a book...have him come over here and I'll help him! I can help him!"  Glen was 98 and Landon was 13!  What was so impressive is that he really wanted to do it! But, Glenn's mind was never old. He loved life. He was truly the image that we all should hold before us to represent the best of our aspirations. That's his legacy to us....and he'd ask the question: "so, what are you gonna do?"
Tom

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
You have no idea how long it would take me to tell you guy's what I learned from that man bd

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
"Bows on the Little delta" is one of my most treasured books. Remember, legends never die as long as a few remember their impact.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
What a fine gentleman and tireless contributor all the way

Glenn signing the Bob Morley bow 2 years ago now.
Happy Birthday and hope you are drawing all the tags you want up there!!

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
here is my thunderbird..will shoot it today

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Made a visit up to the Northwest Archery shop several years ago.I felt very fortunate to be able to have a nice look at the museum before it was broken up and relocated. When I requested permission to take pictures, the overwhelming friendly response from the St Charles family members was wonderful. I feel very lucky to have several nice signed pictures from Mr. St Charles and his great book.
Nice post and cake Wade!!!!!!

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
Philip's Denton Hill photos of Glenn sure do bring back some memories.  That was probably the last time I saw and spoke with Glenn.  I regret not spending more time talking with him, but during what ends up being a whirlwind handful of days, it seems like he was always surrounded by admirers.  I'm sure many of those admirers told him the same thing......how his exploits were an inspiration for all.  His adventures with Fred in Alaska shaped the dreams of many a young lad, including me.

I spent the better portion of a year in Washington state back in the mid-90s working for the US DOE and regret every opportunity I missed to visit Glenn and the NWA shop.

Some people allow time to fly by and catch the wind only in their dreams.  Glenn acted upon his dreams.

I hope God likes to sit around a campfire and hear bowhunting stories.....'cause he has a few up there that have some stories to tell.

Thanks Wade for starting this thread....the cake was a great idea!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
Glenn's 100th Birthday was a great day. My son & I hunted all day but never loosed an arrow at a animal. I shot one arrow in remembrance of Glenn. A wonderful day.

Glenn actually liked pie better than cake, but loved most sweets. The Nebraska Traditional Archers have a Glenn St. Charles Memorial Pie Auction in remembrance of Glenn at our annual Rendezvous. The auction brings in some nice funds and helps keep Glenn's memory alive. He was truly a great bowman.

Thanks Glenn for everything you have done for all of us.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »
Sir, that is one gorgeous bow you have there!!
Barry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©