3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why are deer smarter than me  (Read 304 times)

Offline gatorgar

• Trad Bowhunter
Why are deer smarter than me
« on: December 13, 2007, 01:41:00 AM »
I was talking to a buddy of mine this morning and the topic turned to bowhunting for some reason.  He is a gun hunter but invited me to his place to try my luck still hunting some creek beds.  I was able to sneak off work early and headed down to his ranch and he gave me a short tour of the place.  After a few rounds in the pick-up he dropped me off at the mouth of a dried up creek and said he'd wait for me at the gate.  

Now I this was my first time in the ranch and two miles of winding creek had me a little worried, but I figured I could walk out of there before darkness settled in.  I was carring a 2-piece Shrew 51#@28 and wearing nothing more than a thin fleece jacket.  I ever so slowly headed off into the abyss and gave myself a few minutes to adjust to the terrain and darkness.  I had been still hunting for about 20 minutes when something caught my eye 30yrds out.  I stopped and slowly raised my binos.  Through the brush I could see a white-tail flickering thru the brush.  Didn't see the rest of the animal so I slowly sneaked up to about 20yrds.  He eventualy moved on out of the creek and I paralled him out to the pasture.  Next thing I knew that deer was working a scrape and I looked him over again with my binos.  Massive 10 point with about a 20in spread.  Each tine looked to be 10 inches long.  I watched him for about 2 minutes and took a knee no more than 12 yrds from his location expecting him to come out into the pasture right where he was.  5 minutes later I didn't hear him no more and couldn't spot any movement at his previous location.  Did he wind me, no the wind was blowing in my face. Maybe I made a noise he didn't like, how, I could've make a statue green with envy with my lack of movement.  About that time I heard a twig break to my left and I sneaked a peek.  There he was in all his glory, 10 feet from me and about to walk into my sent stream.  He never saw me, but the brush never opened up for a shot, not even the tiniest of holes.  When he hit my scent he stopped and almost reared up to get away.  He didn't blow not even raise his tail.  Just took one giant leap and cleared 20ft of creek and then trotted away.  If I had stayed in the creek, it would have been a gimme shot.  If I had realized he was an older buck when I first saw him I would not have followed him out to the pasture.  I know that a buck will walk along the pasture 10-20ft in the brush looking it over without giving up his location.  I made a rookie mistake and it cost me...I don't think I could have enjoyed the afternoon any more.  I walked up on a doe and 2 yearlings, but passed on the shot.  Did count coup on one of the yearlings though.  And at dusk a herd of Javalina walked within 20ft of me and never even knew I was there.  Right after them was another nice buck.  However in the fading light I could not pick a spot and passed on what might have been a bad shot.  I can't wait to get out there again, and this time I will remember to stay behind the animal, not beside it.  The first buck outsmarted me in every way, but he never knew where I was, never knew how close he came to meeting his maker.  Maybe next time, if not...well that is why it is called hunting and not shooting.
Sarrel's BlueRidge Takedown Longbow 3pc
62" 53#@28"
Easton XX75 400   250gr up front
Have you noticed that the times you don't get nothing while hunting, are usually the most fun you've ever had.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why are deer smarter than me
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 04:18:00 AM »
Exciting hunt!
Those deer are verrry good at what they do!

Killdeer  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 06:35:00 AM »
Got my pumper pumping just reading!
I think that deer live for the next few minutes. All their attention is directed toward their immediate future.  When those few minutes pass they are gone and forgotten and the next few minutes come into view.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »
you have to learn somthing from every encounter--from the smallest yearling to the biggest buck---and how many people sneek in on mature animals!!it might not be the next time --but you're one string drop from closing the deal!!it sounds like you've got skills--it'll happen!!good luck!!
Mike

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
What a great day!  Congratulations!

Deer are smarter than us because when we screw up, most of the time we can just mentally kick ourselves and move on.  

When a deer screws up they die.  If you were faced with those consequences every day of your life you would wise up in a hurry too.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 07:38:00 AM »
learn and apply isn't that what life is about
hunting with a bow is the ultimate challenge great story!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
to simply answer your question......Because they grow up in and spend ALL their time in the area you only visit occassionally. ANd you ain't the only predator they have to deal with on a daily basis.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
(Deer to hunter)
You in  my house now!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
I have a friend in Michigan that has family owned land that has some huge bucks on it. He hunted with a traditional bow back in the late seventies and early eighties seriously for only monster bucks.

He studied the deer; the feed areas; the bedding areas. He turned down shots on nice bucks looking for 'mr big'.

His cousin was not a hunter; but won as a door prize a compound bow and 6 target arrows; and 6 arrows with broadheads. He then approached my friend and asked how to hunt with a bow.

My friend said to find some tracks; put up a treestand and wait for the deer to pass by.

So; his cousin put up a treestand in a row of trees between cornfields. It was made from pallets and had a roof; and a couch to sit on.

My friend caught all heck from everyone; as they thought it was his; and it was totally in the open near the base of a huge Oak tree.

Years past; and his cousin never hunted it. He never shot the bow- ever. But one day he decided to go to the stand and hunt it.

Well; in his absence the row of trees had been cut down; save the tree with the stand; which was a joke to all the farmers and deer hunters.

The corn was gone; replaced by inch high winter wheat.

The cousin sat there anyway; and a buck ran by- over fifty yards from the stand. He shot the bow for the first time; and hit the buck in the back leg; and it died in sight.

It was the second largest buck taken that year with a bow in Michigan.

Smart is not always a factor. Luck sometimes beats everything.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
Yep...and beginners luck is really special!
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©