INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Lost another friend  (Read 460 times)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Lost another friend
« on: December 22, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
Just informed by another long time Bear Archery collector/friend that Bill Mack just passed away.I've known Bill for many years,he was one of the first Bear collectors I ever met when I started down this road many years ago.Only met him once in person at Cloverdale but we spoke many times on the phone and swapped stories and Bear goodies many times.Bill always shot straight from the hip,something I always liked about him.You knew where he stood.So many old friends have passed since I started collecting this old stuff,it makes you realize how short our time here is.
 Just wanted to let anyone that might have known Bill know about his passing.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lost another friend
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
I remember Bill from the many deals we had in the 90s.  I am sorry to hear he's gone.
Tom

Offline ahandle70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Johnnyrazorhead, my thoughts and prayers go out to you.  A dear friend is more than any maple sight window Kodiak or Grumley...sometimes i think it is hard to for some people to realize what matters most.

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Johnny, I never met Bill, but talked and dealt with him a few times over the years.  A most likeable man.  Thanks for the information.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
ahandle70- You hit the nail on the head.We all love collecting these old Bear bows and other archery items and enjoy the history.Nothing compares to a maple sight window or a Grumley for a Bear collector and I know they thrilled Bill as much as anybody when he came across one.But his passing,like so many others we meet along this path cetainly makes one realize the frailty of life,how quickly it passes,and really it's not the "things" we aquire along the way but the friendships and the memories we make.No matter how nice of a Kodiak or Grumley we may own,it won't be going with us when it's our time to leave this earth.
 I don't mean to get too deep,but this same thought has crossed my mind many times over the years thinking about all the great people I have met because of this hobby of mine and how quickly they can be gone.John Grumley,Floyd Eccleston,Glenn St. Charles,Charlie Kroll,Al Reader,Dick Lattimer,Bill Krenz,Moose,Cliff Coe just to name a few that I've had the priveledge of knowing.No bow or item could replace the memories of times spent with these fine folks.Like you said,it just makes you think about what is truly important and matters the most.Happy holidays.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 05:33:00 AM »
holy beegeeszuz I saw this yesterday thank you John.I did not have time to post anything then and had to wait until this morning.Sad sad day for sure I would like to say there were not many around like Bill he was a real gem right there.I spoke with him on the phone not long ago and I just bought some bear tie tac's off him for xmas gifts to the G-kids.He sent me a couple of those old rubber shakespeare tape on fishing reels and some arrow rests for free to give to them along with the tie tac.God almighty we have lot a huge number of our vintage members this year.Yeah yeah I know were all gonna die someday but geeszus everybody at once........ been one hell of a tough year for vintage bow collecters and vintage bowhunters bd

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
Someone posted Bill's "noskunky" on the big auction site.....then mention that it is not for sale.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
I sold Bill a few things from my collection and talked with him thru emails. He will be sadly missed... RIP Bill... Digginupbows
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
John......thanks. sorry to hear that Bill has passed. I always enjoyed talking for hours sometimes on the phone. I too have put alot of Bill's collection into mind. Payers go out to his family.....Bill
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
I just checked this topic and I am heartbroken once again.

Bill Mack was a good man.
I don't mean he was a good collector/seller or enthusiast, I mean he was a good man.

I've known Bill long before the internet was the "new thing" and have never dealt with a more genuine person.
I'm talking about the days when you waited for the mailman for your "footed Shaft" classifieds news letter.

Bill Mack always had something good!
Our friendship, like many of you who knew him began through bow collecting ofcoarse but has grown into more like he was the "uncle" who you came to Love.

He was a hell of a salesman too.
He could sell ice to Eskimo's! A very good business man but "not all business".
I will explain a little.
Back when I was a green horn, he convinced me to send him $1000 for a wood A handle. I really could'nt afford it at the time, but I bought it anyway.

Sensing that I went over my head with that purchase, I would receive packages from him from time to time with some really nice Bear collectable items.Some are very expensive today. He had little notes accompany these gifts. Like "thought you would like this" or "I had no one else who wanted it". Things like this.
Just a wonderful guy, believe me.

He has been on oxygen for a very longtime and would ALWAYS tell me to stop smoking. He would tell me that everytime we would talk.
Sometimes he called just to see if I stopped smoking.
Interestingly enough, I had been on the phone with a fellow out west talking bow trading recently.
When he called and we started talking he told me that Bill Mack had given him my phone # and he said Bill wanted him to ask me if you stopped smoking yet! True story.That was Bill Mack.

Another thing he would say to me was, Stop working 90 hours a week and enjoy life a little.
This he said countless times to me. This is the kind of man he was. Very thoughtful and concerned.
He was the "go to guy" when you wanted or needed a really cool or rare bow, especially a Bear bow.

Again and with a heavy heart, Rest in Peace Bill
and Thank You.........
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline roofleakfixer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
John,

You and I didn't formally know each other than hearing your name in the Bear collecting circle, especially from Bill.  This is truly a sad evening hearing of Bill's passing.  When Bill called, you'd better listen because he had the "best of the best" stuff to trade or sell.  I stated setting up beside him at Cloverdale several years before he quit coming due to his health.  He always had something neat hidden back that he called "emergency trading material" and I always seemed to come home with something I got from Bill Mack.  I still have most of it and some of it was passed along to others the same way I got it from him, for free, to someone who was just as crazy as we are over these things.  He was a tough bird.  I remember one phone conversation I had with him that I'll never forget.  The most exciting thing that day was he had hooked up a 50 ft long hose to his oxygen machine and was able to go anywhere in his house he wanted to now.  Wow, I just hope I have that much willpower and drive when I reach his age.  I will certainly cherish all my memories of him and our "horse trading".  RIP noskunky.  roofleakfixer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©