INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: J-B Weld for tip overlays??  (Read 453 times)

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
J-B Weld for tip overlays??
« on: December 26, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
My son was closing down a job and they had some extra J-B Weld "Industrial Professional Size" left over. It states that it's a steel reinforced epoxy that you can use on wood, fiberglass, pvc plastic, and a bunch of other things. It can be filed and sanded as well. I thought about trying some for putting phenolic tip overlays on some of the older bows I restore.

Anyone use this stuff for replaceing tips and how did it hold up???      :dunno:  

Thanks,
Dave
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: J-B Weld for tip overlays??
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
I think that stuff is gray in color when mixed.  It may make your bond line show up, even if it is really tight.  Clear epoxy or loctite would probably look better.

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Dave
It is gray in color. I used it once to replace limb tips on an old Pearson and the thin gray line showed. This bow is in the mid 40#'s and has held up for years of shooting since the work was done.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
yap its gray and lieves a gray line around the overlays but thats not all bad looks kind of cool sometimes.However JB is a very hard epxoy once its dried and the problem with it is its to hard for overlays.It will crack over time do to the string banging on the overlays.JB is not flexable at all and the tips DO bend a tiny bit.I kind of figure thats what played a roll in cracking it bd

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
Gentlemen (and I use that term loosely  :D    ), Thanks for all the responses. I've been working on an old Howatt Hi Speed that had a tip split down the string grooves. I had to do some extensive repair to bring it back to life. I did not have the JB yet so I used some smooth-on. I'm re-finishing it now so I'll have to show it off once it's done.

I have 3 more older Howatts I want to replace the tips on so I wondered about the JB.

Again, thannks for the replys.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
well if it were me IMHO I would stick with the smooth-on.I use smootie a lot myself and just love it.I get the item all glued up.Then I put it under a small tin foil tent with a 100 watt bulb for heat(gets around 100 deg).Once the smootie is cured it is some tough stuff you can file sand and grind on it good glue to stick with bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©