INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear bow quiver, 8 arrow aluminum hood...  (Read 404 times)

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear bow quiver, 8 arrow aluminum hood...
« on: December 27, 2011, 02:56:00 AM »
I picked up this Bear 8 arrow bow quiver and was hoping that you guys could help answer some questions about it.  

Was 1963 the first year for the 8 arrow quiver?  

Which years were the aluminum hood like this one?  

I assume that it is early due to the construction and the single patent #, can anyone date it exactly?  

Last but not least, there is a 1/4" thick, 3/8" wide piece of felt on the backside of the hood that appears to have been there since day one, did Bear put this felt on the early hoods?

Thank you for any help,

Brad

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear bow quiver, 8 arrow aluminum hood...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
Interesting quiver! 1963 was the first year for the 8 arrow quiver, and the only year for the aluminum hood,it also has the double arms. Your quiver hood appears, in the photo, to be brushed aluminum and perhaps anodized rather than paint??
Mine is plain aluminum and has a flat somewhat textured paint. Yours has two rivets on top of the hood and mine does does not. Mine does not have the felt on the hood and Bear never put it on quivers from the factory in later years, but that doesn't mean the factory didn't put it this one.
On your quiver the ends of the upper arm that mount to the frame seem to be wrapped around the frame rather than the two piece attachment on mine and later quivers.  With the differences between ours it would appear that Bear did some design changes in that first year with your being the first/early  version.

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear bow quiver, 8 arrow aluminum hood...
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Ron.  I guess I need to get a 1963 bow to go with it...  Yes, the hood is anodized and the aluminum has a brushed appearance all the way around the hood except for the top which is totally smooth.  The arms and frame are painted and the base is anodized. The upper arm does appear to wrap around the frame in the pictures but it is the standard attachment as my later ones.  The rubber coating on the arms is thinner and the offset in the lower arm (for limb clearance)is only half as much as the later quivers that I have seen, perhaps breakage at this point was an issue?  

The felt appears to be old and the end cuts are very symetrical lending to a factory appearance rather than a home made deal, but as we know anything is possible.  The quiver appears to have been used very little and the foam is darn near perfect.  

Thanks again,

Brad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©