INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1967 Super Kodiak upper silk screen in print?  (Read 451 times)

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
1967 Super Kodiak upper silk screen in print?
« on: December 27, 2011, 03:21:00 AM »
I have a couple of days off so I figured that I would pick your brains on a few things if you don't mind...

How many different upper silk screen styles did the 1967 Super Kodiak have?  My bow has Bear with the registered 'R' mark, the Super written in cursive and the Kodiak in all upper case print without a registered 'R' mark.  The serial number is 7Z206, it seems that I have seen numbers lower than this with the all cursive script, did they restart the serial numbers over with each decal change or....?

Thank you in advance,

Brad

Offline Steve95

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1967 Super Kodiak upper silk screen in print?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 04:25:00 AM »
All of my 67 kodiaks as well as my 66 kodiaks and other Super Kodiak all have the cursive decal. Did your bow come from the factory with that decal?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 06:31:00 AM »
yes his bow did come from the factory with the printed decal.Those were on the some very early bows.The lastest one I've seen with the printed decal was 300 and something(my customer did not want new decals so we had to hand paint places on the original to get it back to original looking).They changed to cursive around serial number 400 ish maybe in there somewhere.However thats not to say you will not see lower numbers that are cursive.Bear archery's serial number system and decals are not a real good way to date bear bows believe me.But that is a super cool super K you got there congrats on that one.I love those and the 67 1/2 is by far the fastest of all super K's good hit bd

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the info bd.  

In trying to figure it out I realized that most pictures posted do not show the upper silk screen and the ones that do are cursive, thank you for clearing it up.  It would appear then that some finishing stations would have had the later type of decal and other stations would've had the early type until they were all used up.  

It seems very fast for 42#'s, although I have not scaled it.  As far as shooting, it's always been on for me even from the very first shot.  

Awesome bow!

Thanks again - Brad

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:40:00 AM »
hey Brad try this out for me will ya ? 7-8 grain of arrow weight per pound of bow weight that would 300-350-ish range arrow weight.
If you do not have the chance to try them that super wil shoot 10-12 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight 420-450-ish grains let me know what you think bd

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Bd, WOW!  Once it became apparent that the rain was not going to stop, I bucked up and headed outside when it slowed to a drizzle.  I had been shooting arrows that weighed 482 grains so I was anxious to see what would happen with lighter tackle.  I took my 482 gn, 408 grain and some 342 grain arrows with me and shot several loops from heavy to lightest and WOW!  The lightest arrows were like lazer beams, I really wish I had a chrono because they almost lit the target on fire!  

Strangely though, I noticed that the lightest arrows were not really louder than the heavy ones and even more surprising was the fact that the heaviest were hitting pretty much the same as the lightest ones at 13 yards.  Now 13 yards isn't much but a 140 gn weight swing is and it would seem that they should've dropped some at least.  The 482's were sticking 3" out the back of the bale where the 342's were only half through.  Momentum wins over speed again.  As soon as it clears up I will retry this again at the public range up to 60 yards.

Is this similar to your findings?  The bow didn't seem to care a whole lot about arrow weight as far as the flight path was concerned...

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Interesting info....my '67 has all cursive writing and the register "R" mark next to both the Bear and Kodiak.   I'll agree, it shoots fast and is quiet.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©