INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Black Copperhead Slicers  (Read 899 times)

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Copperhead Slicers
« on: December 27, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
I searched the threads and didn't come up with much.  Please tell me about these heads.  Over Christmas I was going through some of my Dad's old stuff and came across a few of these. He said he never shot them and doesn't know where they came from.  When were they made and how common are they?

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Copperhead Slicers
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
Black Copperhead, Detroit Michigan manufactured the Slicer 125 grain in 1960 and the Slicer 150 gr in 1963. They both are common broadheads, meaning they made a lot of them.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
Thanks, Rick  I have the 125 gr heads and considered shooting them but they look difficult to sharpen.  Maybe they can be done with a file.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
Look real close at the factory edge and you can see that they are a single beveled edge broadhead. Should be easy to sharpen since your filing only two sides of the four.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
Sharpen across the two blades at same time. Then go onto the backside of the blade and very lightly knock off the burr. These heads will take a very good edge, are super tough, and have superb flight.
Single bevel heads are not new buy any means.
They also made a three blade Talon with all the same characteristics but with double bevel blades like most three blade heads.And then there was the Exotic line of Black Copperheads- Ripper, Magnum.These had scalloped or notched blades.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
Ron,  how do you "sharpen across the two blades at the same time"?  Do you lay the head on a stone with 2 of the blades touching at the same time?

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
Just sharpen the two blades that you can already see a bevel on(this would be the two edges that you can see in the photo above). Four edges have a bevel four do not.
Use a double cut file laying the file across the two blades and pushing back to front. Then go to a stone either back to front, or front to back. You could also use a marking pen on the blade edges first. Then you can tell when the whole edge is removed evenly when all the marker is gone.
Look straight down on the edge, there should not be any flat shiney spots, just the edge bevel. You can feel a burr with your finger on the back side of the beveled edge, or pull a cotton ball or Q-tip on the back side of the edge. If there is a burr, fibers will be snagged.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
That answer your question Stinger?

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Ron, yes it did.  Thanks.  I don't have the heads here yet as I couldn't bring them back on the plane and I'm waiting for them to be shipped out along with some Herters blades that Dad had that were still new in the box.  I only got a quick look at those so don't know what they were.

Offline stickgunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
Ron, Can you even keep a head sharp long enough to harvest an animal ?

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
I don't even try. I don't even sharpen them anymore, just stuff them in the quiver  and go for a walk. Don't even have to string the bow. Much more relaxed now!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©