INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear spring arm quiver, good, bad, ugly?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear spring arm quiver, good, bad, ugly?
« on: January 09, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
I found an old Bear spring arm 8 arrow quiver. Are they good, bad, or ugly?

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear spring arm quiver, good, bad, ugly?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
I have a couple of these installed on my old Bear bows. I like them. You may have to use some felt pads in a couple of places to quiet them. I also put some replacement hood foam in mine and this really helped make them quiet. There are better, more modern bow quivers out there but if you have a vintage bow they just seem to fit.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
Their nickname is rattletrap.
Lon Scott

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
This will interesting. Thanks for the replies.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
Don't know about rattletrap. IMHO they are some of the quietest bow quivers I've ever used. You do have to tinker with them some but I think they are better than some of the junk I've tried in years past. If you want vintage then by all means get one. If not then try some of the new bow quivers. There're some good ones out there.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
Mine is quiet, but I have problems with some of my arrows staying aboard.  Seems like it likes the larger shafts better.
Barry

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
It's going to have cedars and green razorheads going into it. I had one years ago that had the arm on top and screw mount on the bottom. I really don't remember much about it.

Everyone in my family used the slide on quivers with any broadhead cover. I think the Bear will be much better.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
Sorry about the derogatory term, but I've never been impressed with the quiver.  Yes, Mr. Bear and many others used them with success...and glad it worked for them.  

I have found  I had to glue a pad on the side/back of the hood to keep it from touching the riser and spring arm.  Next, I wrapped moleskin or a small diameter split soft rubber hose around the wire arm that crosses the frame. Next, I took the bottom gripper plates apart and squirted Shoe-Goo or silicone onto the plates and screwed them back together.

The screws only have about two threads and they can strip easily. Obviously one has to insure the mounting bolt and adapter are snug.

Excuse me, but one should not have to do this to a well-designed bow quiver.  

If you like it, then great...and it is vintage equipment to go with an older Bear.

IMO, modern quivers are superior, and if this one was so great, everyone would like'em, have one, and use'em.
Lon Scott

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Mine seem to do me well , I took a few animals this year with the old Quivers on my bow. I havent had any problems.
,,,Sam,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
I like them and have used them quite a bit over the years.I like the single spring with attachment to the stabilizer. My favorite of the vintage is the Wing quiver though.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Steve95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
I used the spring arm leathertop type this year. Started with one like this and have tried and own many other quivers. They fit the older Bear bows. Bear should remake this type as they would have a good market as I see it.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
Blackhawk:
Everything you just said you did to your quivers I did to mine. Just part of how some things work. Do we ever modify our cars, tree stands, etc. I had to modify the hood on three of my Great Northern quivers. Also some guys have more tolerance for noise/function,etc.
However, I have found that the guys that complain the most about noise from the bear quivers don't mount them correctly...they will then, most definitively, shake, rattle, and roll(Jerry Lee Lewis).

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
I thought everyone who had vintage Bear bows had one and if they didn't they were looking for one. We all tweak are hunting equipment to suit our personal hunting preferences. These quivers seem to fit the bill one way or another either with our personal modifications or without. Great quivers as far as I am concerned. And even at e*** prices still a good deal compared to the new stuff out there.

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
Does anyone remember what they sold for new in the 60s or 70s?

Offline Roddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
I bought my first one in the mid 60s for 15.95. Was a lot but worth it. I still use them today. My first one had the metal hood,and I still use it. Great Northern grippers can be modified to fit,and hold carbons real well. The arms can be removed and with the addition of a strap you have a good hip quiver. Bear had all kinds of brackets to modify these quivers to adapt to about any bow. My most favorite quiver ever. The only quiver for a Bear TD.

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 02:37:00 AM »
I like mine and they are pretty quiet when positioned where the fades are at least 1/2" thick.  If nothing else, they are fun to use and look awesome when used on an old Bear at local shoots.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
I love them too.
I use the 4 arrow single arm version mostly.

My 8 arrow single arm quiver is missing the arm.

If any one has a nice arm for it, please PM me.
They are great quivers.

Note;
Lon Scott is not all that wrong about their "rattley DNA". I am referring to the Double arm Bear quiver.
It just comes with their "vintage technology".
Do some target or stump shooting with a "loaded double spring arm quiver" and you will understand a little better what Lon is referring to.
He's a Bear man just making an observation.

My being a Bear enthusiast and most like minded others kind of like or are simply used to these old quivers.
For me, the quiver is just a way to carry the arrows as I "most always" remove my bowquiver when in a stand.
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
I'm not totally opposed to them since I've found another way to make use of the quiver.

Lon Scott

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »

I like my leathertop!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©