INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Are tip shapes of Bear bows specific to year of production  (Read 358 times)

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
Are tip shapes of Bear bows specific to year of production
« on: January 27, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
I had a 66" 1962 Polar which I noticed had pointed tips with black and white over lays.  Then yesterday I recieved a 69" 1961 or 62 Kodiak Special I noticed its tips were also pointed and had black and white overlays.   I checked my other bows, no other pointed tips?
So were the pointed tips common on various models during the early sixties, or were they spacific to the intended use ie..pointed tips on target; rounded or flattop on hunting

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are tip shapes of Bear bows specific to year of production
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
The tips are pointed on many '62 Bear models.
Jack Shanks

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
Hello Jack
So the pointed tips were a look Bear gave their bows in 62.  Was 62 the only year Bear gave bows the points and were the overlays always black on top of white??

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
The early years 50's 60's had the narrow tips not just 62. Overlay colors varied from year to year and model to model.

Offline Missaukee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
Think about it as a graduated scale of time saving, if you look through the years on a Kodiak/Super Kodiak for example you can see the progression of time saving measures. Not a hard rule, but in the late 50's they had a full Y filed into the belly of the limb and nicely shaped tips. By 62 they were still pointed but the Y groove was not as deep, and the fine finishing has decreased. By 65 the tips are left square and the attention to detail is low as far as shaping and color reveal. Then to just single color fiberglass and finally in 73 just a chunk of maple, one belly groove and a very unflattering nock work.

It takes a lot of time and skill to craft the tips on say a 1958 Kodiak, and very little for a 1973 Super Kodiak. Cost saving.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
Pack,

Here are the tips left to right of 62 Kodiak, Kodiak Special, Grizzly and three Kodiak Magnums. It is the only year that I'm aware of that they were shaped that way.

Jack Shanks

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
Jim,

I have all the same models in 61s and while the ones I have are somewhat pointed they are still rounded on the end.
Jack Shanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©