3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Steel washer and field point?  (Read 3832 times)

Offline njshadowwalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Steel washer and field point?
« on: March 07, 2006, 06:42:00 PM »
Hey guys...ive shot judos and bluts for a long time and was wondering if anyone has tried to use a steel washer behind a field point for squirrels and rabbits?

Figure thew washer would help prvent loss but also increase the initial shock behind the point.

Any thoughts?
Checkmate Bow

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Steel washer and field point?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 06:48:00 PM »
Yep, I've done it in the past.  Works pretty well.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 07:07:00 PM »
I've tried it just to add weight , if washer is to big then the arrow might plane.

Offline Roy Stroh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »
its a good way to break an arrow where the washer is placed if you have a glancing blow.  :readit:

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »
I've used a washer behind a screw in field point if that's what you're talking about  :wavey: ....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 09:34:00 PM »
Try a wingnut behind a screwin fieldpoint with the wings forward. works great on bushytails.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 10:57:00 PM »
We used to use that setup for gophers when I was in high school. We couldn't afford Judo points, but the washers worked just as well, and were free for the taking in Dad's shop.  :D

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 11:16:00 AM »
I've used the washer and the wingnut last year, they both worked fine. I think the wingnut worked more like a judo, and didn't skip near as much as the washer, but both worked.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline JM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
Just tried it, it works well. Thank you.

Offline flinch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 12:32:00 AM »
I've used a screw and a sheet metal washer for blunts with good results.  Also, used a plastic washer behind a Bear Razorhead on turkeys to prevent complete pass throughs.  Hard for a turkey to run through the brush with an arrow sticking out both sides.  Now I use Blunts on turkeys and try to shoot them in the head.  Either works or you miss and no crippled turkey.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »
Flinch,

Sounds like it might work, but is it legal in your state to hunt turkeys with blunts?
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline flinch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
It was in Nebraska; Dick Turpin of the Nebraska Game and Parks promoted it to reduce crippling toms.  I hit a tom in the breast with a blunt from a 84# Compound (God Forbid) and he flopped a bunch, then got up walked around getting his bearings and flew off just fine.  I had a witness also watching with binoculars.  It was pretty funny, but I got hung up in a fence and couldn't get to him fast enough.   I was trying for a head shot and I misjudged the distance.  A broadhead would have not done him any good, but he could have easily got far enough to hid?  I feel better knowing he wasn't crippled.   Now that I look back on it; I didn't have to field dress him either.   Also, I was a Breeder Flock Supervisor for Swift and Company for a while back in the early 1980's and having been around so many turkeys; both tame and wild; they don't excite me much.  Now put antlers on them and it would be different.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©