INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Not one of a kind but close  (Read 1021 times)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Not one of a kind but close
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
Picked this bow up a little while ago and wanted to share it with everyone here.I know how much we all like these old Bear bows.I initially thought it was a one-of-a-kind bow but have since come to learn that there are a couple at least very similar to it in existence.One is in the Pope & Young Museum another Tradganger told me,and the other is in a private collection.Haven't personally seen either of them other than some pictures of the one in the museum.The other I was told has no coin,standard green tip overlays and black and white riser overlays.I do not believe it is marked EXP.
 Anyhow,here is what I believe to be an experimental 1961 Kodiak Magnum with white glass.Although it sports a pewter coin,it more closely resembles a '61 Magnum than a '62 in my opinion.It has the purple-heart I-beam like many '61 K'Mags I've seen.Bow once belonged to a former Bear employee who has since passed away.Neat little bow in great shape.

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not one of a kind but close
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
It looks more like a 61 to me,great find.

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
John, Awesome Bow!! Gotta love the unique ones.

I have a '61 K-Mag 29# with purpleheart but standard glass. Would be interesting to see them side-by-side. My 29# seems alot thinner and lighter overall than standard K-Mags.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
John,

The 27# is rare in itself.
Jack Shanks

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
Yes it is a tiny bow.It did belong to a female employee at Bear so hence the light weight.I will be getting a '63 or '64 Tamerlane that belonged to her too.It's 63" but I forget the weight although I know it's light.I am looking forward to shooting it to help improve my form.
 I won't be shooting this one.

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
John, Holy cow!! that is a cool bow for sure! I know of only one other Mag with white glass and I'm still saving my money for it.    :banghead:  
Thanks for sharing and when you get tired of caring for that cool bow, you know where I live!    :p
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
Nice bow John.  Seen one other Ko. Mag with white glass. Let it slip through my fingers.  :knothead:

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
Cool bow.    :cool:

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Very cool!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
holy smokes Johnnyboy thats a dandy right there for sure bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
bye the way John I have a list somewhere with all the different combo's of 1961 Kodiaks and Kodiak Magnums.Will I be able to add another combo to the list with the pics of your new find ? believe it or not the 1961 Kodiaks and Kodiak Mags had more combo's of wood and glass color then any other bow.
Want to do a list of the different combo's of 1961's ? my first by far and what I believe to be one of the most beautiful bows ever built.The 1961 Kodiak with figured bubinga side slabs deep purple(hey thats a great name for a rock band) purple heart I beam with black coated pewter coin.Thats the gem of gems IMHO.What say yee ? bd

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
Bowdoc- I do agree those '61 Kodiaks with Deep Purple(Rock on!)purple-heart sight windows are a thing of beauty,but the ones with nicely figured walnut side slabs and purple-heart sight window,along with a pewter coin,are pretty easy on the eyes too.Makes a nice companion to the white glass Magnum don't you think?
 Bowdoc-don't forget I still need your shirt/jacket measurements!

Offline Missaukee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
This is at the P & Y Museum. I believe it must be a Bubinga handle? or tropical walnut as in Johns bows (Can the walnut handle 78# (I don't think)). I don't remember if it had silkscreens (I am thinking it didn't or I would have taken a pic). I am also not sure if it was I-beam.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Don,
 Great pictures of the twin to my bow,although it's at the other end of the weight spectrum.What a little beast.Hard to believe you had taken pictures of that particular bow at the P&Y Museum and then mine shows up.Great little bows although I don't care for the white glass as much as the green glass the production bows had.Thanks for posting the pics.

Offline bowhawk archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Sweet looking bow John.

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »
Sweet EXP
Hunting elk in Oregon and hunting for Bears everywhere! (Grayling Bears!)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »
sticknstring+
 I recently drooled over the thread showcasing all those wonderful Bill Stewart bows you have and noticed the little '62 Kodiak Magnum has the same writing style on it as this white glass Magnum.The "exp" is identical as are the length and weight specs.Wonder who wrote those on the bows.The group of bows you have is remarkeable.It would have been great to be working in the Bear R&D dept. back then wouldn't it?

Offline Missaukee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
I just wish I had taken the bow outside to get better pictures!

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Bahaha ! John you just took the words right out of my mouthI took a comparison pic last night as soon as I saw your post. They are definitely the same person. I was wondering  (daydreaming) if it could be Bill Stewarts penmanship himself. I have a few different things from his shop that he had written on that I'll check out. I love your collection and am really happy you found that beautiful EXP Magnum!

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
P.S. Heck yes! That R&D department was doing the same thing as the car companies of the sixties... Making  Badazz Hot Rods!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©