3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Original Paul Schaefer Bows  (Read 5987 times)

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Original Paul Schaefer Bows
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
Paul always shot split finger with a high anchor point.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
By the way nice bow rockfisherman!

Offline redblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
I to must say that I have been inspired by the stories of paul and wish that I could have met him. I just got my first silvertip back in october and I just love it. Dave and beth are the nicest people to deal with. The bow was every thing I asked for and more. Thanks for all the great pic and stories.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2007, 12:44:00 AM »
The bowyer in me noticed that the shelf of his bows is in the middle of the riser.  Anybody else do this?  I always put the middle of the riser in the deepest part of the grip, which puts the shelf 1 1/2" above the middle.  Chad

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
Mike; don't really recall what type of glove he used, but i think it was a deerskin damascus type glove. You would think that with the draw weight he used that he would have prefered a type with the inserts in the finger stalls.His strength was incredible. One time when I stayed at his plce for a couple of Days , he had his barbell loaded with weights on the floor of the upstairs level of his home. The barbell ( loaded ) was blocking the door way to the bedroom and i proceeded to try and roll it out of the way , Paul watched me struggle for a few seconds then came over picked it up and moved it!! I was much younger and stronger then, and was using a 70# Silvertip !!???
    Another time we were in his shop retillering my bows for 3 fingers under, after respraying the sanded areas and we were standing about just chatting Bowhunting, he found that his telephone cable was broken, so he stripped the outside sheathing off with his thumbnail, while he was talking away.Just classic schafe! I can still hear his chuckle.

Offline Mike Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
I sold mine.  :knothead:  

It had Relentless Pursuit on the riser.

Does anyone know where it is now?  I sold it through Jeff Massie.

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
Paul made the third one down from the top...

"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
NICE Slim!

What is the one on the top?

Is that a PBS Medallion on the one towards the bottom?

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
wow nice set of Silvertips you got there!  :clapper:    :clapper:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
Don; I believe that wood in the 3rd bow from the top is what paul called Arizona Mesquite, I have 2 built from that wood. Wish i knew what it is now called and if its still available. beautiful stable of 'Tips

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
Gorgeous bows guys...
One day...
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
Looks familiar..........   :)  

Here is one of my racks.........

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
Thank you...

Steve O, the top one is the wave option and the one with the medallion is the first comemrative bow Dave made in memorence of Paul Schafer. The medallion is a head of a grizzly.

Sergio, the bow Paul made is Dymondwood in a walnut finish.

Nice looking bows Tim...

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
Good to see them together for riser comparison.

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stykbowslim:
Thank you...

Steve O, the top one is the wave option and the one with the medallion is the first comemrative bow Dave made in memorence of Paul Schafer. The medallion is a head of a grizzly.

Sergio, the bow Paul made is Dymondwood in a walnut finish.

Nice looking bows Tim...
Thanks Don you too!

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Great thread and great pics.  I regularly show these type threads to my wife to prove that i am not the only obsessed archer.  

Keep em coming, Jack
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
Here is a picture that Beth took the time to send to me along with a very nice explanation of the bows and the timeframe involved.

They go left to right...........

1) This red bow is a 56" Savage Deathmaster made by Bob Savage for Paul in Aug of 1974. He made it prior to his BC hunt that year and went on hunting with this 67# bow for a couple more years to come. I believe he took a moose, sheep and goat with this bow and other animals in that time frame. Paul at this time was learning from Bob and I believe helping out in his shop. This bow had glass running the whole length of the target side.
2)This green bow was built by Paul most likely in that same time frame. Had history on this bow and have misplaced it. A friend of Paul gave this to us so I will get with him and get that information again. I do know that it is 56" like the red one but does not have glass down the front. The riser is built out of phenolic.
3) The is a   very early 60", 87# Silvertip most likely made from Paul's shop on his farm. It has a maple riser and again no glass down the front.
4) This is another early Silvetip built by Paul probably in 76' or 77'. As you can see it has a flared contour so to speak in the upper part of the riser. If you look ahead you see he eventually got rid of that contour. This bow is slightly longer than a 60" but not quite a 62". It has a shedua riser and a very narrow thumb rest overlay.
5) This bow #431 was built in 1982 sometime and made out of bubinga. Most of Paul's one-pieces you see of that era were built out of bubinga with black glass.
6) This bow #1119 was built in the beginning of 1986 and you can see he has switched to using laminated wood  in the riser and was offering clear glass in the limbs in addition to the black glass.
7) This is a current 60" Silvertip made by Dave.
8) This is #9 TD recurve which would have been probably built in 80 or earlier. Our records go back only to the #400 and on so can't confirm that for sure. Here again he was using laminated wood. Rarely did Paul build his take-downs with exotics.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
Don; I believe that Bow #2 on your rack was once mine??? does ot have moose horn caps on the limb butts, with bear paw carvings??

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
Sergio, it was your's, however I had Dave remove the horn caps and refinish the bow.

Offline Frisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
Sergio once told me that the Deathmaster was just a copy of the Shakespeare Neceda. I disagreed, as mine was quite different. Now, I look at bow #2, Sergio's old bow, and I can see his point. It does strongly resemble the  Neceda.

Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©