INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Super Kodiak old-new  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Hipshot

• Trad Bowhunter
Super Kodiak old-new
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
Not sure if this post is approiate for this section or not but how do the new Super Kodiaks compare to the the late sixtys early seventys SK's?
Hip

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Kodiak old-new
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
I have never tryed a new one,but I have quite a few of the early ones,one of the best bow I own.
I would never spend the money for a new one but rather a vintage or a new custom.IMHO.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Even though I prefer those early SK's (mainly for reasons of nostalgia), I have shot the new ones and have no complaints.  They look good and shoot good...so what more can one ask?
Lon Scott

Offline Hipshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
Thanks, I have an older one (68) thats in really nice condition but was wondering if a 45 year old bow would hold up to as much use as a new one.
Hip

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
I too have a '68 and it has developed slight separation problems like some other '68-'69 models. It's been corrected, but I do expect the new ones are "stronger".
Lon Scott

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
I have a 1968 and a 1976. I recently purchased the new Super Kodiak Grayling Green. I have sold one of the 3. Guess which one. The new one. Did not shoot anywhere near as nice as the 2 older ones.

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
I have a 65,72,73,75 and a 2005,and two 2011s.the older one's look better,but the newer one's shoot just as good.

Offline Missaukee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
Many of the new Super K's made over the past year are of inferior quality. There are some that are ok, but many have poor glue lines and handle shapes/grips that are horrible.

If I were to buy a new one I would want to see it in person and inspect it. Many are prone to failure and some have failed. The fadeout areas should be inspected. The grip is also an area where the craftsmanship is not just bad, but absolutelly unacceptable.

Let me be clear on the new ones, the idea is great and they should look good and perform great, but, they have been rolling them out too fast trying to keep up with orders and apparently hired inexperienced workers.

Get a vintage one, cheaper and built by craftsman that know what a bow is.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
Just stick with the old ones! You can find two super nice old ones for the price of a new one & if it's lasted 40 or 50 years of shooting, you already know it was made right!
I have a 1965 & 1970, like the 1965 much better!

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
I don't believe you will go wrong either way. I have a bunch of old ones and they shoot great. I've also shot the newer ones, and have no complaints there either. What was stated earlier, about fit and finish has been an issue, but I've read that Bear has handled those problems quite well. Go shoot a new one. See what you think.

Offline Missaukee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
What Stagetek said is important, shoot a new one, if you like it and don't mind the price, then go for it.

As for what is said about fit and glue lines, this is from handling and inspecting dozens of the new bows. The first batch, I guess late 2010 to early 2011 were fine. Then somewhere after that the quality went way down, I guess these would be summer 2011 bows? Most of these are the bows that shops have in stock now (whatever wasn't sold this past fall). When some new 2012 bows come in maybe they are improved? And I haven't ordered one (an order where Bear makes the new bow, not an in stock bow) maybe the bows being made now are fine?  I love that Bear finally updated there line, and I wish them success, but I do want to pass along to be weary. Just because the Bear name is there and green glass and bubunga, does not mean that a consumer should not be as critical as they would be of any other product before making a purchase.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Remember, alot of folks (myself included) have been begging Bear Archery to acknowledge their past and build these replica bows. They listened. Give them time to work out the kinks. They're not going to be the same...but 40 years from now ??? Who knows ? Who would have guessed back in '68 we'd still be talking about it today !

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 02:43:00 AM »
The only thing I would buy new in the Bear line is the Bubinga B Riser just because I'm to cheap to buy a nice ole one!! The Super K's are still very affordable compared to the new one's and I think much nicer!!!!!!!

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
Don't want to step on anyone's toes here, BUT the Super Kodiaks were interduced in mid 1967. I bought one immediatly, shot it for five years till the lower limb colaspsed. A really sad day for me. Loved that Black Beauty. Also had the other Black Beauty, a HC 30, lost it on the way home from a trail shoot, somehow fell out of the luggage on top of the station wagon while on the freeway, just before I could pick it up, a car ran over it. Another sad day. But you can bet I can really pack an item safely...now!
'skin that one, and I'll get ya another!"

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Elkslayer, you are correct about that, my 1965 Kodiak has no Super in the name. But the 1965 Kodiak is the model Bear is kinda replicating with there new 2011 Grayling green model. But it now has the Super added in the name.

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
I looked at a 64" Super Kodiak last month, liked the over all feel of the bow, but was disappointed in the finish. I guess in my gomerhood ( old age ) I'm getting picky. the one thing I did'nt like about my 67 SK was the bow's length as I draw long, could be why the linb colaspsed, since I drew it to 31", although I had no trouble with it till it quit, no problem with it's replacement either, in fact the Darton still looks like a new bow. See it here

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=005392;p=1#000000
'skin that one, and I'll get ya another!"

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Love my 67 1/2 super K......fast and smooooth. Those phenolic risers add some good weight for stability......very visually appealing....buy an original....john
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 03:03:00 AM »
I love my old Kodiaks but I have been thinking about a new one for a couple of reasons...

One is to be able to pass a Bear bow on to my son or daughter that I bought new, one that was "Dad's Bear" rather than someone elses old Bear that "dad had found."

Another reason would honestly be to support Bear and the risk they have taken by investing in their traditional bow line.

It reminds me a little of Pontiac.  I have an old '67 GTO and for years all the GTO guys would carry on and wish that Pontiac would make a new GTO and how great it would be.  So Pontiac listened and made a new GTO, naturally one that had to conform to modern standards and materials.  From a off-the-showroom-floor standpoint it out performed the old ones in every way but did it sell well?  No.  

The GTO guys said that it doesn't look like the old one and doesn't have the quality or feel or mystique of the originals and they were right in a lot of ways.  It wasn't the car of their youth and they didn't buy one and now there is no Pontiac.

Without new GTO's/Bear bows to sell to new customers there isn't any new memories being created for people who aren't able to experience an original.

For what it's worth I've handled 4 new Super Kodiaks in the last 2 weeks and all 4 were excellent in detail and glue lines.  Mine will look especially good once I refinish it in a high gloss finish like all Bears should have.

Sorry to ramble...

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hobow:
I love my old Kodiaks but I have been thinking about a new one for a couple of reasons...

One is to be able to pass a Bear bow on to my son or daughter that I bought new, one that was "Dad's Bear" rather than someone elses old Bear that "dad had found."

Another reason would honestly be to support Bear and the risk they have taken by investing in their traditional bow line.

It reminds me a little of Pontiac.  I have an old '67 GTO and for years all the GTO guys would carry on and wish that Pontiac would make a new GTO and how great it would be.  So Pontiac listened and made a new GTO, naturally one that had to conform to modern standards and materials.  From a off-the-showroom-floor standpoint it out performed the old ones in every way but did it sell well?  No.  

The GTO guys said that it doesn't look like the old one and doesn't have the quality or feel or mystique of the originals and they were right in a lot of ways.  It wasn't the car of their youth and they didn't buy one and now there is no Pontiac.

Without new GTO's/Bear bows to sell to new customers there isn't any new memories being created for people who aren't able to experience an original.

For what it's worth I've handled 4 new Super Kodiaks in the last 2 weeks and all 4 were excellent in detail and glue lines.  Mine will look especially good once I refinish it in a high gloss finish like all Bears should have.

Sorry to ramble...
:thumbsup:   sounds like you have it all figured out. And I also like your GTO to Bear comparison very wise words.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
I kinda' agree with the "give Bear a chance" line. If they are willing to undertake the expense to passify some of us recurve guys, then we ought to give them a chance to wet their feet properly and try to get to the "Grayling" standard that good old Fred Bear set. I heard they were considering doing a 59' Kodiak repro...if they do it RIGHT, they could have a smaller scale winner on their hands in terms of production numbers. I don't own a new one myself, but I'm quietly cheering them on for even trying.
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©