INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Howard Hill and bamboo.  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
Howard Hill and bamboo.
« on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
Hill made bamboo a household name when it came to bows during his career in archery.  That's well known.  What's not well known is how he came to use bamboo.  

I'm a cause and effect guy.  If Hill showed up at my house and we had a round at the butts and he didn't fare well, and I was using bamboo bows, and the next month he pays another visit and is sporting a new laminated bamboo of his manufacture, might be I was unknowingly responsible for introducing him to this material.   :)

Laminated bamboo bows have been around in America since the early 1880s and well documented by Will H. Thompson in a handful of articles he produced while "Archery Editor" of "Forest and Stream" from 1879-1881.

Howard Hill traveled to Chicago and attended the NAA Nationals in 1930.  He placed in the middle of the pack in 30th place.  Contrary to commonly held views, Howard Hill was only an average archer shooting the standard target rounds of the NAA, the Double York and Double American.  

But, that wasn't his gig and had he changed his shooting style to point of aim or sights, he "likely" would have been competitive, but he choose to shoot his regular style.  Tt was noted by those who observed Hill on several occasions that Hill's scores were pretty amazing using his style.

Back to bamboo.  Hoogerhyde won the 1930 NAA National using three different bows of bamboo.  Howard Hill stated he made his first bow of bamboo in 1931 and killed a deer in Maine that year with it.  There is a reasonable chance that the 1930 NAA National was Hill's first exposure to the material that would become synonymous with Hill's bows.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill and bamboo.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Hoogerhyde's bows were made by Duff, bowyer to the Queen before he moved to the US. The bamboo was in vertical lams rather than horizontal, viewed with the bow belly up or down. A fellow had one at the Howard Hill World Championship in Wilsonville, AL one year in the mid-90's. He was shooting the bow, and let me and a couple of other folks shoot a few arrows through it. It should have been in a museum.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
I checked "Archery Aims" [1933] by Hoogerhyde & Thompson and Duff's "Bows & Arrows", 1st ed., but neither of them [unless I missed it] refers to bamboo as a bow wood.

So I next checked Elmer's "Archery", 1946.  On pages 159 to 161, he discusses 'bamboo'.  He mentioned the early patent given to Frederick Malleson of Conroy, Bissett & Malleson of NYC for bamboo bows.  In a testimonial, Will Thompson described his split bamboo bow as very elastic and stated that it was "absolutely unbreakable".

Elmer noted that 'in spite of the undoubted merit of the split bamboo bow, it had a rather limited vogue and ceased to be produced'.

Elmer then said "However, in 1928 the South Bend Bait Company of South Bend, Indiana, makers of fishing tackle, hit upon the same idea quite independently."  In October of 1928, they sent Dr. Elmer three bows made from their [bamboo] staves - two bows that they had made and one that had been made by Jim Duff.  

Apparently "The principle of constructing the stave was radically different from that of Malleson in that it was an inch and a quarter square - not pentagonal - and was formed of three equal layers, each of which was composed of about ten splints averaging an eighth of an inch in thickness.  A cross-section of the stave would therefore expose the ends of about thirty splints.  In the finished bow the three layers lay parallel to the flat back, so that the long axes of the little splints would point from back to belly and not from side to side, thus fiving much greater strength.  The company said that only the finest selected Tonkin bull cane was used and that to lay the pieces correctly required an experience of years.  The price was forty-five dollars."

Elmer ranked the bamboo bows among the best he had ever shot.  Duff said "I honestly believe you have a bow tha beats anything that has come along in the way of new inventions for archery."

Elmer went on to note that Russ Hoogerhyde used three in the NAA tournament of 1930.  However, the company ceased the manufacture of these bows a few years later.

Cliff, as you point out, Howard Hill would likely have been exposed to Russ Hoogerhyde using these bamboo bows and may have heard Jimmy Duff's thoughts on bamboo as well.

It's an interesting conjecture on your part.
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
I'm not sure "conjecture" is the appropriate phrase as my conclusion is based upon "accurate" information, I just can't tie it all together in a neat package.   :)   I didn't have much more than this when I began running down "Florida snakewood."  

Forest and Stream - December 5, 1878 - pg 370

Split Bamboo Archery Bows.--the employment of split bamboo in the construction of fishing rods has very fully demonstrated its superiority over every other material where lightness, elasticity and strength are the requisites.  The use of bamboo in the manufacture of archery bows promises to thoroughly revolutionize the business.  We have carefully examined a bow of bamboo and lancewood made by Conroy, Bissett & Malleson, the well known makers of fishing rods, and it is a marvel of neatness and strength.  These bows are from 5ft. To 6ft. In length, and have a pull of from 50 lbs. to 70 lbs.  They are far better than the best wooden bows, and can be made fifty per cent. cheaper, the 5 ft. Bows costing $15.  Several experienced archers have already given their most full approval of this new invention in archery good, and we have every reason to believe that our readers will in the split bamboo the bow they are looking for.  One good bow, like one good fishing rod, is worth a dozen poor ones.

Forest and Stream - December 11, 1979 - page 896

The Split Bamboo Bow.--New York, Nov. 28th.--Editor Forest and Stream:--In answer to Mr. Will Thompson’s very interesting article on bows, we wish particularly to explain somewhat the action of his split bamboo.  The one Mr. Thompson mentions was one of the very first we made; we found the great difficulty was in getting them to bend evenly, for the split bamboo differs from the wooden bow insomuch it can not be altered after it has been once put together.  Now, we have no trouble in this respect, as experience has taught us to gauge them perfectly.  Mr. Thompson’s bow was faulty from this defect, and not from the giving out of the glue as he supposes; for the cement used in construction is the same as in the split bamboo rods, which can be used day after day in the rain without injury, and soaking in water will not affect them, much less standing against a damp wall.  In regard to the bow mentioned by the gentleman in Marietta, we would like to state that he ordered it backed with snakewood, a material we do not approve of, and however disastrous it may have been to the bow, it certainly was not to him, as we have never been paid for it.
         Conroy, Bissett & Malleson.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
American Vs. English Bows.

Forest and Stream - November 20, 1879 (page 837)

Editor Forest and Stream:--

I confess to a large share of confidence in Yankee ingenuity and skill in mechanical construction, and could not and can not accept the opinion so often and so confidently expressed by agents of English manufacturers that our people could not possibly compete with the English in the manufacture of fine bows and arrows.

There is not more practical difficulty in the construction of a good bow than in the making of a good rod, and I think that your readers will readily concede that our rod makers, to say the least, hold their own against our British cousins.  There is no such subtle nicety in the lines of a bow as to require many years of practical experience in order to make a good one.  If it were so, modern bow-makers ought to have greatly improved over their ancestors; yet, as a matter of fact, if history is to be believed, the modern bow is neither as enduring or powerful as those of olden times.  The difference lies, I take it, not so much in the make as in the material.  In ancient times, owing to the constant demand for bows for war and the chase, bow material was carefully cultivated and preserved.  Since the bow gave way to gunpowder, comparatively little effort has been made to get or preserve the best material.

When the present interest in archery first began to manifest itself in this country (may it never grow less!) The best bow materials were but little known here, and less used.  The lover of the bow was forced to look to England for his supplies.  But the prevalent and increasing interest now felt in this most delightful of recreations has set our Yankee manufacturers to work with their characteristic energy and enterprise, and to-day it may be safely said, that, taking the same materials, they make as good bows as are made in “merry old England.”  No better chance can be found for comparing different makers than is offered at the meetings of the large archery associations.  The tournament of the Eastern Archery Association just held in Boston, where upwards of seventy-five archers, ladies and gentlemen, entered into friendly competition, afforded just such an opportunity.  Nearly every kind of bow, and from about every known maker, was to be seen on the field, of weight ranging from twenty-four to sixty pounds.  From our English friends, Aldred’s, Highfield’s and Feltham’s makes were their yew, snake and lancewood; while the American makers were principally represented by the split bamboo, snake and lancewood.

In this competition the American bows not only held their own, but noticeably surpassed their rivals in many important respects.

Conspicuous for its smooth action and tremendous driving power was the split-bamboo-50-lb.-bow shot by Mr. R. Lawrence, of Flushing, L. I.  Although there were several bows of greater weight in the field (among others a Highfield 60-lb. snake), yet no bow there sent its arrows so swiftly and with so flat a trajectory.  Its superiority in these respects was very marked at sixty and still more noticeable at eighty yards, when in spite of a very trying cross wind it sent its arrow far below the line of flight of its competitors, and yet at times overshot the target.  Mr. Lawrence won the first prize at eighty yards against all comers.  

Two other bamboo bows were used at this tournament--a 42 lb., shot by Mr. W. Holberton, of New York, and a 55 lb., shot by Mr. W. Beecher, of Brooklyn.  This latter bow has the reputation of having shot nearly 8,000 30-inch arrows during the past summer, and is, in spite of so much hard work, still a very hard-hitting bow, having the smooth pull and great driving power which characterizes these bows, in common with the Spanish yew.

The snake and lancewood bows manufactured by Mr. Horseman, of New York, shot fully as well in every respect as the same woods of English make, and rendered a good account of themselves in prizes taken.

The tournament lasted two days, at all distances from thirty to eighty yards, in addition to part of another day devoted to independent sweepstakes shooting at an outside range.  Yet so far as I could learn not a bow was broken.

At the national tournament held last August in Chicago quite a number of fine English-made yew bows, which are imported to this country, range in price from $25 to $150, and yet not infrequently break in a few weeks’ shooting, it is difficult to see of what the English superiority consists--unless it be the price.  The unconvinced advocate of English superiority is respectfully recommended to inquire of Messrs. Will and Maurice Thompson as to how many English-made bows they have broken during the last two season.  Judging from the unqualified recommendation given by the Thompsons and other expert archers respecting the arrows made by Conroy or by Horsman, our manufacturers are competing with the English as successfully in the making of fine arrows as in fine bows.  The smooth and even flight of those makers’ arrows used in Boston fully warrants the recommendations they have received.

Facts are more convincing than arguments, and after the fine performance of the American bows and arrows which I have witnessed during the past summer, when in competition with those of foreign make, it will take something stronger than argument to shake my confidence in our makers.                  

America

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Split Bamboo Bows are Patented

Forest and Stream - June 19, 1879 - pg 396

Split Bamboo Bows are Patented—Editor Forest and Stream: Will you kindly notify dealers in archery, through your valuable paper, that our Split Bamboo Bow is patented, and that all infringements will be prosecuted and our patent protected to the full extent of the law.  We have always advertised this bow as being patented, but notwithstanding, we hear from all directions that cheap imitations and infringements on our patent are being made and sold.

Yours respectfully,         

Conroy, Bissett & Malleson.

New York, June 16, 1879

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
American Bows

Forest and Stream - April 10, 1879 (pg 196)

Because of great cost of the imported bows, and difficulty in obtaining a supply from England last season, many archers were necessarily compelled to use bows of American manufacture, and these were generally of very rude and inelegant form, and made of poorly seasoned and unfit wood.  But with commendable zeal several American manufactures have this year begun the task of supplying the American market with a better grade of bows and arrow, and with most gratifying results.  In many of the cities and villages throughout the United States there are local mechanics who are turning out bows on special order only, but I only propose in this paper to examine a few bows from some of the larger manufactories from which many of our fine bows will be drawn during the coming season:

The first to which I shall refer is the split bamboo bow of Conroy, Bissett & Malleson’s manufacture.  In the early part of the month of February last, I procured one of their $20 grade, 6 ft. Long, 57 pounds weight, having nickel-plated tips, and silk wound at intervals of every two inches from tip to tip.  This bow is made of three strips of split bamboo forming the belly, the hollow being filled with a core of snakewood, and the whole backed with a thin band of white second growth hickory.  These are put together with boiling glue, and then wound with the green silk bands.  These bindings of silk were adapted by the manufacturers at my suggestion, and although they claim that the glue used is so strong that the winding of silk is unnecessary, yet I am fully persuaded that no glue will stand in a 60 pound bow through a season’s shooting, unless the bow is so wound, the powerful recoil, equal to twelve hundred pounds, disintegrating the glue.  No archer complained last season that the foreign bows did not shoot well, but we all complained bitterly at their extreme tenderness.  Not one archer in ten was able to procure one which would last three months.  This was due to three reasons: first, the great demand for archery in this country could not be supplied by the English makers, and American dealers ransacked every auction room and warehouse in England for old and rejected goods, and brought them to this market; second, the backed bows were all injured by the ocean voyage; and lastly, the manufacturers finding themselves overwhelmed with orders, hastily worked up half-seasoned and worthless timber and sent out large quantities of very inferior bows.  To insure a supply of good bows this season, will require several large manufactories, and much seasoned timber.  This latter I understand the Messrs. Conroy, Bissett & Malleson to possess, not only in the way of split bamboo, but snakewood, and lancewood in abundance.  The split bamboo bow which I possess is not perfect, but it is a very high grade bow.  It is very quick in its action, has a soft and delightful pull, and sends an arrow with enormous force, as low a flight as any bow I have ever used of its weight, with the one exception of a 56 pound Spanish yew, the property of Mr. Henry C. Carver of Chicago.

The bamboo bow is not heavy in the hand, and is in appearance very showy and elegant.  But its chief excellence is its durability.  No archer need fear break one of these bows.  I have drawn a 37 inch arrow to the head repeatedly on mine; have broken several strings and thoroughly tested its endurance, and am satisfied that with half decent usage it will last for many years.  This quality of withstanding rough usage is one of the first requisites of a bow, for what archer care to invest from $10 to $75 in a bow and break it within a week?  Not only is the expense an unpleasant feature, but the impossibility of shooting well with a bow until one becomes used to its action renders it very exasperating to the archer to have his bow break just when he is acquiring control of it.  I have doubtless broken more bows than any archer in America last season, and besides the expense in money.  I may say that the monotonous snapping of all my fine bows did not cause me to “grow in grace.”  My shooting is very severe upon a bow, from the fact that I always pull loose on the draw.  I have not known of any other archer whose experience has been so disastrous as mine.  So when I find that I cannot break the split bamboo bow, I feel confident that no other archer will.  The metal tips on these bows are an improvement in two respects; they never split or break as horn do and thereby break the bow, and they are very handsome.  Their only defect is their greater weight, acting as a loaded end to the bow causes the breaking of strings. However, strings are cheaper than bows, and one had better break many strings than lose one bow.  Summing up the qualities of the split bamboo bow, I conclude that it is very enduring, handsome, quick in action, very hard shooting,--having a soft sweet pull, and likely to be very popular with archers who are willing to pay a good price for a fine bow.  The Messrs. Conroy, Bisset & Malleson have done a good work and no doubt will reap a fine profit during the coming season.  I have found by experimenting that my bow at least, and I think other bows of bamboo, will do best with heavy arrows, not less than five shillings weight, 5. 3. being preferable, the peculiar springy leap of the bow when the string is loosed being suited to a strong, rigid arrow.  When a light, weak arrow is used the powerful and sudden blow of the string springs the arrow, either breaking it or injuring its flight.  Given a strong string, a rigid arrow and a steady pull, and the split bamboo will drive the arrow with beautiful steadiness, and great force.

E. I. Horseman of 80 & 82 William street, N. Y., has begun the manufacturing of fine archery goods at his factory at Little Falls, Rhode Island.  I have two snakewood-backed with lance, one amaranth-backed with lance, two lance-backed with hickory, and one self lance, of his make, and I not only give it as my own opinion, but as the opinion of every member of the Wabash Merry Bowmen who has seen them, that they are the finest lot of bows, of those woods, ever seen together.  The workmanship is perfect, the joining of the two pieces being a triumph of skill.  The handle of plush, the horns, the polish, and every item of finish could not be improved.  The two snakewood bows are of 48 and 58 pounds weight, and the pull of each is so sharp and true, that an arrow is carried with a most beautiful flight.  Having seen so many futile attempts of our American bowyers to get up a good wood bow last year, I had about reached the conclusion that it could not be done, but I am satisfied that ere the summer is over we will be buying most of our cheaper bows from American makers.  Of course when a gentleman desires a fine Spanish or Italian yew bow of a price from $55 to $250, he will send to Europe for it, as several of our archers have done this spring, but for lance, snake, amaranth, bamboo and other bows costing from $5 to $20 each, we will rely upon home makers.  I happen to know that Mr. Horsman has prepared a magnificent silver mounted, velvet lined, mahogany case, containing six fine bows, each one a marvel of beauty, and two dozen finest arrows, which he offers as a prize at the Chicago Tournament, to take place in August, 1879, under the auspices of the National Archery Association.  This elegant case will not be of less that $125 in value, and will be keenly fought for on the target field.  No archer seeing these bows, can doubt their excellence.  Their symmetry, the perfect curvature of each limb, the sweetness of their pull, and the quickness of their action proclaim them the perfection of hardwood bows.  Of course no hardwood bow, however perfect, can compare with a finest Spanish or Italian self yew, but the majority of American archers will not care to invest $50 to $ 75 in one bow, and I would not advise the purchase of a yew bow at a less price.  Mr. Henry C. Carver of Chicago, Ill. has one of 56 pounds weight, which cost, delivered at Chicago, $77, and one which cost $135.  The last is the perfection of the bowyers art.  Such bows as these are an endless delight to the owner, but few will be willing to bear such expense.  I have two of Aldred’s make, one of which cost $49, and the other $77 delivered at Crawfordsville.

The cheaper bow shoots as well as the costlier one, but I think it will not endure so well.  Two very fine Spanish yew bows, are among the prizes offered by Mr. Aldred at the Chicago Meeting.  Messrs. W. A. Russell, and Charles A. Jay of the Kokomo Archers have each two fine yews of Aldred’s make costing about $75 each, delivered.  Outside of these I know of no yew bows of more than $30 valuation in America.  So long as our archers are using bows of lancewood, rosewood, or snakewood, I would not advise them to import them, for the wood bows of Mr. Horsman, the split bamboo of Conroy, Bissett & Malleson, and the three piece bows of Messrs. A. G. Spalding & Bro., of  l18 Randolph street, Chicago, will give greater satisfaction.  These latter bows are made upon special orders only, and are so constructed that it appears almost impossible for them to break.  Two thin bands of split bamboo are used to form the belly and back of the bow, the center piece being of the finest heart snakewood.  These three pieces are first put together with glue, great care being taken not to race the fine natural enamel upon the bamboo.  Then the bow is strongly wrapped from tip to tip with heavy silk, in bands an inch wide and placed about an inch apart.  Some of the bows in the hands of members of the Chicago Archery Association have been used constantly all winter, and are now as straight and perfect as the day they were made.  Of some forty or more now in use, not one has ever shown an evidence of yielding.  As the bamboo on the belly is so hard that it cannot pinch, and the bow is so strongly wrapped that it cannot yield in the glue joints or splinter up on the back, it is difficult to see how one can break.  Their shooting qualities are most excellent, they being very quick, smooth in the pull, and causing no jar in the hand at the recoil of the bow.  I do not know the cost of them, as the one I have ordered built for me has not reached me yet.  I think about $18 is the retail price.  Messrs. Spalding will offer some of their finest make as prizes at the Chicago meeting.  I do not advocate the sacrifice of buying poor bows from American makers, simply to encourage home manufacture, but when such work as the bows above described are turned out at home, I feel sure that our archers can rely upon getting good gear at less price at home than they can by going abroad.  I intend soon to give the result of my examination and testing of American strings and arrows, some handsome specimens of which I have been using for the past three months.

Will H. Thompson

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 07:24:00 AM »
Knowing how Hill was introduced to bamboo isn't particularly important, but an interesting piece of trivia.  Knowing when is useful as it helps determine time line in the evolution of his bows.  

I'd comfortable in saying Hill's first bamboo bows appeared about 1931 as he states.  After spending the best part of the past year or so researching Hill's early years in Florida [1925-1932], I found that Hill's writings on whole are pretty accurate and published accounts by others of Hill's early years in Florida lacking, with the exception of Don Carson's "Early Adventures With Howard Hill" published by Raptor Archery.

Between the abundance of newspaper material on Hill from this period, Carson's book and what Hill noted in his books about this period, one can put together a pretty accurate accounting of his time and activities

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
The Forest and Stream articles are most interesting.  By 'conjecture', I was referring how Hill was introduced to bamboo bows.  I don't doubt but what you are correct.  

I wonder if South Bend Bait Company was the only firm making bamboo bows at that time?  I also wonder if any of the English bowyers used bamboo either in the late 1800's or early 1900's?

More importantly, I wonder how Hill learned to work with bamboo and did he replicate the approach that South Bend used to make their bows, which was apparently different from that of Conroy, Bissett and Malleson?  I think that this information would be interesting to know.

By the way, the American Museum of Fly Fishing located in Manchester, VT has several of Conroy, Bissett and Malleson's bamboo fly fishing rods [knowing that you are a fly fisherman -- I thought you would be interested in knowing].  They are beautiful fishing rods.
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
I really like the read, my only book on the bow is Dr. Elmer's
Here is some pictures of my bow.  :cool:  Hink

A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
I'm in Baton Rouge and headed to New Orleans tomorrow so don't have access to all my stuff, but think there were others.

I do know Jim Deeds messed with bamboo beginning about 1933.

March 1946 - "Archery"

“Bamboo for Bow Backing”

Fully matured and properly seasoned Giant Timber Bamboo makes a better backing for bows than most any other material, according to Jim Deeds, 100 Echo Avenue, Oakland 11, California.  He passes along his experience to either the amateur bow maker, or the bowman who wants to know more about his bow than he could learn from a shop-purchased weapon.  Deeds has been making bows since 1933, and insists that you can “make a bow a better bow with bamboo.”

Deeds says bamboo is no more difficult to work than yew or osage, and requires few tools.  He admits he cannot guarantee every man’s individual skill, but says if archers follow instructions, most of them will achieve good results. [pg. 11]

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
Our posts crossed.  Nice bow.  Can you describe the orientation of the laminations, etc. ?

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Liquid Amber:
Our posts crossed.  Nice bow.  Can you describe the orientation of the laminations, etc. ?
Not sure but they look like they lay flat with the back of the bow, Does that fit what was detailed in the writing? thought it was souding like it ran with the sides of the bow   :confused:  Hink
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
This is a very interesting thread here! Thanks for your efforts...........Much appreciated!

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
Hink,  That is one neat bow.  I'll bet that there aren't many of these around.  

Cliff,  Forgot albout Jim Deeds -- thanks for reminding me.  Somewhere, I have a copy of his catalog.

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Cliff, I would like to see some of your material if you wouldn't mind sharing where I might read about some of the info you posted above. You can send me a PM if needed. Thanks Flint

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
Hink,  Elmer's "Target Archery" is my "go to" book on a lot of archery history questions!

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 02:11:00 AM »
A few other good books from Elmer is Archery copyright 1926 and American Archery, I think 1933. I know from an earlier post that Liquid Amber has a very extensive Archery Library. This is great stuff here.
Ooop's, Missed the earlier post!!!!

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 04:27:00 AM »
David, That is a great source of info on
Bow-Woods and on p.136-137 is on Bamboo. after reading it they had wondered why it fell out of use in bow-woods was feared "that out of so many constituent parts some might weaken and give way" And this may have been true for this bow has a couple of limb wraps for repair on it. This bow is the only one I've seen and was a great find for me. I'd have to go back through my pictures to see if the Pope & Young Club has one, I would think they would with all the great bows they have on hand in there collections....alot to learn...Thanks..Hink

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »
In the early days celebrities such as Maurice Thompson, Will Thompson, Howard Hill and others had their movements/activities tracked by newspapers.

If old Howard took a trip to Maine for the summer consulting on the construction of archery golf courses, it was recorded in the newspaper.  If old Maurice traveled back to Calhoun, Ga for a visit, it was recorded in a newspaper.  If Will H. Thompson was handling the defense of his youngest son's murder case, it was recorded in the newspapers.

Many of these newspapers have their achieves downloaded on the internet.  In the case of the above mentioned trio, there is a huge amount of material available.  

Information on Hill's early years [1925-1932] in Florida and lots of early California material can be accessed through "Goggle News Archive Search."   Be innovative and search with a variety of phases and add his friends' names to hill's as well.  Much of the material cannot be printed directly off the screen but the innovative can simply take a digital photo of the screen, scan and print a hard copy and file.

You can get a copy of "Early Adventures with Howard Hill" by Don Carson from Raptor Archery, which is the "only" published account of Hill's early years in Florida by one who experienced it with him, the only published first hand account.  What I have  been able to cross-check with Hill and newspaper accounts I have found to be accurate.  

"Hunting the Hard Way" and "Wild Adventure" has much information on his early years for those who "actually" read the material.  I have found Hill's accounts in these two books to be pretty accurate.

Rhode, Robert - History of the National Archery Association
1st 1978, Vol 1, 1879-1945 (1000 copies)  You will find information on Hill and the NAA from these years.        

That's where the story is for those willing to search it out and put it together.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©