INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 53 Kodiak II  (Read 685 times)

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
53 Kodiak II
« on: February 22, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
I need some opinions and know I'll get good ones here. On the big auction site there is a Compass bow, item #270917166115, thanks packanimal.

Right now I'm the high bidder and I'm wondering if that's a good thing.The seller says there is some limb damage near the decal and should be a Wall hanger.I can't tell from the pictures if it's just stress cracks or the limb is cracked and lifted a splinter.

Can anybody else tell? And, if it is cracked can I super glue it down and have it hold?

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 53 Kodiak II
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
I had dealings with the seller some years ago....don't remember any problems.  He is experienced, and he calls it a wall hanger. The picture is blurry, but it looks like he's called it right.  Loctite 420 is a miracle material, but I'd not count on it holding a serious fracture together on a 60 pound bow.  They made a lot of these-don't take a big chance on a damaged one. I love the compass Kodiak and have quite a few of them.  One is a real nice 61# bow and it might become available later in the winter.  

But...if you're thinking plain old super glue, not a chance that'll work.
Tom

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
I agree! The picture shows enough. It is more then a stress crack. It looks like the glass has cracked and a large splinter has lifted and then glued back down. I attempted to repair something very much like this and it came apart on me at full draw. Never again!! Wall Hanger it is..

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Thanks, guys. That's the kind of information I was hoping for. I think I'll bail out.

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 05:06:00 AM »
how heavy of a compass bow are you looking for, I have a 60" wallnut riser in 64#

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
With the damage mentioned and being 60 pounds it is a wall hanger as the seller states, good parts bow if someone needs an original working compass or tip overlays also.

Offline Pack animal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
Hello all
Mullet, there will always be an other.
Wading in on the discussion; my opinion would be as to the intent of the acquisition.  I.e...  Is the bow intended to be a user added to a collection, or is it intended as an example of a model/design displayed as part of a collection.  For example I have an old Grizzly with the aluminum laminate, I will probably never string or attempt to shoot this bow.

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
I have just always wanted one. It's the same year I was born and was looking for a shooter. None of my bows are wall hangers. I can't get out of my bid so I'm going to ride it out and see what I end up with. Maybe someone will come in and blast my bid at the last moment.

I'm sure I'll win  :knothead:  with the Proxey bid I put on it.

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
Whoo, Hooo! Just got beat by a dollar.  :goldtooth:

Offline kenscollick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
If you are looking for a 1953 bow the compass Kodiak II was made in 1954.

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Crap! I thought it was made in 53.

Offline jim g

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
Got one on the wall 60# never had an arrow through it if you can beleve it, dont think it has ever been strung,  I should post up some pics
of it when I can

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
Please do post the pics,Jim.  

I've had a couple of old bows that have never been shot, and can never bring myself to be the one to violate that virgin bow.  But, for me, the compass Kodiak is one of the sweetest shooting recurves ever made.  It's old, and valuable, and has paper micarta tip overlays...and all the other things to worry about....but I've shot many thousands of arrows from them and never lost one yet!  It's not the fastest recurve you'll ever shoot, but doesn't give up anything to the next several years' models from Bears. They have a very shallow sight window, and it can be a problem to pick the right spine arrow...but when you do, it's a really nice experience.  Have watched their selling prices go from less than a hundred bucks in the 70s, to more than 900 bucks in the 90s, to a little more than $200 bucks now. Well, it's a hell of a lot better bow than that!  

Back to you, Mullet. They're around. Pick a good one.
Tom

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
I'm going to have to back off buying right at the moment. I was hoping to get the Goodwill one or the other one cheap. I need to sell some bows I haven't been shooting and downsize some. I just traded a '64 Grizzly for a Damon-Howatt High Speed @48#.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©