3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question on Fox population  (Read 420 times)

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
Question on Fox population
« on: December 13, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
I have an area that I like to hunt with my recurve in some "quail habitat" on private property.  I don't know why we call it quail habitat, as I have never seen a single quail in it - just deer trails and SEVERAL Foxes.  

Lately, there have been quite a few of these foxes that get within shooting range for me, which actually really suprises me.  I had always heard how "sly" these guys were... but I've had them walk within a few feet of me, and never realized I was there on a few occasions.  A few times they spook at the last minute - but I'm talking less than 10 yards from me.

Now, I've always been taught (by my father when I was growing up) never to shoot anything that I don't plan to eat.  I realize that some people hunt for other reasons, so please don't get me wrong - I do not disagree with their decision in any way - that is up to the individual, and not for me to judge.  I'm simply going by my own decisions.

However, lately I've seen more and more of them.  I'm seeing a fox almost every time I hunt there.  I've been told that foxes can hurt Turkey populations, but I have no experience in this field, so I don't know whether that is bull or not.  However, I have seen MUCH fewer turkeys and turkey sign this year than in years past.

Another concern is that the fox population is getting too large.  This private property is near my friends home, and he has two small girls.  I have never heard of foxes (other than one rabid case) attacking humans of any age, but it does concern me.

My friends wife does not wish for us to shoot the foxes - a decision which I totally respect and obey.  I am just wondering what your thoughts / knowledge is on this subject.

Thanks in advance.
All the best,
Glenn
If at first you don't succeed.... buy newer / better equipment!

Greywolf Custom Longbow  
Chek-Mate Custom Hunter 56 Recurve

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question on Fox population
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
Animal populations go in and out of balance naturally.  Man helps or worsens the situation.  If you are seeing plenty of them and you wanted a mount or a fox hide quiver, taking one would not be so bad-if they are legal fare.  I hunt a ranch here in NV where the landowner does not want the coyotes taken as they eat the myriad of ground squirrels in the alphafa. I had shots and passed them for that reason.  The landowner might provide you guidance on his desires....How many turkey eggs do yout think a fox can eat in a Spring?  Do the local F&W say they are seeing too many, or is it isolated?  Some thoughts
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline outbackbob48

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
Cajuntec, Foxes are mainly mouser,s, I,m sure they eat a few eggs an young turkeys when ther raising there young, but they really are mainly interested in mice, now coons are a different story when it comes to eggs. If the fox population gets to high Mother Nature will step in with the mange, everything evens out in the end.    Bob

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
I myself would shoot a fox just for the fur, i would not eat one. But i think they take a bad rap from people, like what was said earlier they kill mostly mice i'm sure they do kill other game but they won't get them all. Theres room for us and them.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Yeeharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
The Red fox population in England, where I live is high. I see foxes every day and I live in a rural location. I work in London and the fox population in towns is even higher than in the country. Foxes were/are mainly nocturnal hunters, yet in towns they are out and about all day long hunting and have very little fear of humans, walking within feet of people on the street. They are not mousers (although they hunt mice), they will kill anything that they can, including geese, lamb, cat and all ground nesting birds. There have been a couple of cases of foxes attacking young children in their homes. We do not have rabies in  the UK. We are not allowed to bowhunt in the UK.....

............but we get by!!!  :)

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
North texas is full of foxes. I have seen them kill cats, chickins, guinnes, and geese. I don't know if they do kill turkeys, but I dont know why the wouldn't.
short fat bald and broke is no way to go through life

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
A fox is an opportunist. He will utilize whatever food source is available at any given time. From insects to strawberries, and anything he can tackle in between. Small rodents are no doubt a main part of their diet.

If the population gets too high nature WILL eventually step in and take care of the problem.

If I were you, I would explain to the property owner the benefits that removing a few fox would bring to their property. It would even benefit the fox. Once Mange gets a foot hold, the beautiful fox may be a memory for years to come on their land. And any piece of property is made better by a fox sleeping in the sun, or sneaking on a mouse.

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
That area of the country has a good fox population.  They do boom and bust.  If they like watching them explain that there is no way you alone will wipe them out.  Mange on the other hand can.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
I shot this fox chasing squirrels.  I was hoping he would have got a squirrell   :jumper:  but he didn't so I got him instead   ;)  .  When you see one you will know whether it feels right to you or not to shoot one.  It did to me with my bow .

;)
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
Foxes are native wildlife species. Turkeys were introduced/re-introduced ( whatever, please no bickering about this with me, I have no time,  and I DO hunt turkeys) for the sake of recreational hunting. Nature takes care of Fox overpopulation with a good outbreak of Mange whenever needed. Why would anyone want to kill a fox is beyond me
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline stripe55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Alex, I don't know where you are from, but I AM nature too. I respect the individuals right to opinion, but the caveat of "do not bicker with you" is textbook anti-speak. When man alters his environment by taking over the predator roll that was held by coyotes and wolves he is duty bound to keep things in check.  While an occasional fox sighting is a treasured experience, over-population of a predator such as fox is cause for all sorts unatural imbalances in our ecosystems. Mange is a nasty scourge for canines and turning a blind eye because of some false premiss of let nature take care,"I can't handle the pressure from the animal rights terrorist", is fudamentally wrong.  A healthy population of fox to keep both the rodents AND turkeys and all other that is the diet of fox should be the goal of sportsman. Taking a few is the right thing to do for many reasons including the fact that fur is a renewable resource, they are a beautiful trophy for you or the fur buyer. I know of no reason why you wouldn't shoot several.
"no sleep 'til 55"

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Alex...nature takes care of deer overpopulation with starvation as well...however, we kill deer.

Glen...if you are asking about killing a fox you may not want to personally and that is o.k.  Everyone knows when they tighten their fingers on a bowstring what their decision should be...we each have to make that decision for ourselves.  I've passed up fox with rifles but killing one with my bow felt right so I did and have no regrets.  We each have to do what we feel is right within the laws and regulations.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
Last I knew red fox were an import too,  brought over by the English to chase w/ hounds. Pheasants too from china, and brown trout from Europe etc. etc. Mange, rabies, and distemper are nasty, cruel killers that I for one dont want spreading around my family or pets. Im sure the farmers dont want that stuff running around their livestock either. As the last fella said its our resposibility to keep things in check since we removed the native large predators. Seeing fox like that, daily leads me to believe you should take a couple.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©