INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 62 Kodiak painted limb questions  (Read 490 times)

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
62 Kodiak painted limb questions
« on: March 06, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
Good morning, I have a '62 Kodiak that has the factory painted limbs and the finish is pretty worn out.  

Is the glass ever in good shape under the paint or is it always stress cracked?  

If it has stress, can you LT420 it and refinish the fiberglass or do you need to repaint the limbs?  

If you repaint, do you use an automtive paint and clear with flex agent?

Thank you in advance for any help,

Brad

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 62 Kodiak painted limb questions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
I think bowdoc did a 59' Kodiak a while back..new camo on the limbs and cleared the wood riser to show the wood grain, it looked pretty nice...the 62' usually won't have many stress lines in the glass..check out the refinishing blog at the top of the history page, it should answer all your questions and I'm sure others will add some tips and pics

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Thank you for the responses, I have used both of those threads in the past.  

In 1962 and other years, due to a defect in the glass or expansion of the riser woods, Bear painted the limbs to hide expansion cracks and other issues.  My limbs are painted dark gray.  

I am wondering if there is an issue with the glass beyond what can be fixed with LT420 (as outlined in bowdocs excellent restoration thread) and clear finished instead of repainting?

Has anyone stripped one of these painted bows and been able to clear coat the limbs rather than repaint them?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©