3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why recurve and longbow classes at trad shoots???  (Read 1151 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Why recurve and longbow classes at trad shoots???
« on: December 13, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »
I am just curious, so don't get a rope and a tree yet.  I have never been to a competitive shoot, but have read the "class" regulations for longbow and recurve at some shoots.

The rules for some of these shoots state that anything other than longbows with wood arrows requires you to shoot in the "recurve" class.

I was wondering......if longbows are supposedly more forgiving/better shooting bows, then why are the more "high tech" options like carbon and aluminum only allowed in the recurve class? In my opinion, that seems to imply that recurves are more non-traditional or advanced because they allow you to shoot "less traditional" carbons/aluminum arrows in that class.

Theoretically, it would seem that if longbows are, in fact, more consistent/forgiving then everyone would shoot a longbow with carbons in the recurve class.

For what it's worth I shoot a longbow.

-Charlie

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why recurve and longbow classes at trad shoots???
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
Many of the shoots around here allow both the longbow and recurve shooters to use any arrow. The classes are still divided, and when the scores are posted, recurve winners score higher than longbow winners. (Selfbow scores are lowest.)

It is rare indeed to have a longbow score higher than a recurve.
Lon Scott

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Interesting and good question.  Assuming neither the longbows nor the curves are using sights, I wonder why the recurve scores tend to be higher.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
because longbows are better :0)   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online Bob T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
IMHO They both are as good as the person shooting the bow.

Offline Jacko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
Amazing - similar discussion on Ozbow website . One thought that sums this discussion up well is to keep in mind that the common goal is to promote Traditional Archery and shift the emphasis onto the cultural and historic value of the bow and arrow instead of on the perceived performance advantages .

You go nuts trying to put bows into neet little catorgory's , the harder you try to do that the more complicated things become . Very Compound of us . I agree that modern recurves and longbows have an advantage over a selfbow as do carbon and alloys over wood arrows and are a big part of modern traditional archery and need recognition .

I like the idea of having 3 simple divisions for wood arrow shooters
Traditional / Primitive
Modern Longbow
Modern Recurve
and if there is sufficient numbers [ in the United States of course there is ] divisions for those that use modern arrow materials with there modern Trad bows
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.'"

-Charles Darwin

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
At Cloverdale last summer the winning score in mens longbow and mens recurve was the the same. In the womens classes, the longbow score was higher. A few years ago, when he was a young fellar, the tradgang's very own Flatstick (Rich Jackson), won the selfbow class and shot the highest overall score at the shoot. Most times it ain't bow or the arrow, but the nut that holds the handle! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Good input fellas.  

Still, I wonder why they dont just put recurves and longbows with wood arrows into a category and then have a "whatever else without wheels" category.

I agree with Jacko, lets just promote traditional archery! However we do it.

-Charlie

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
I'd agree to a point.  I'd allow any type arrows with the modern long bow or recurve but require wood only with the primitive class.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
It is their game, and those are their rules.  Sometimes I really believe that is the case..
ChuckC

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
The scores over the years at Rapids have been very close between Longbow and Recurve. We do not have arrow restrictions. Some times getting a 64" longbow shot off in a tight spot maybe a handy cap verses a 54" recurve.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
I would disagree with Blackhawk and agree with Mike. Most shoots I have been too the LB top score is usually a longbow guy and I also believe if you were to tke the best shooters in the world and divide them in to recurve and longbow the longbow guys would win overall. Their are some great recurve shooters out there but most guys who shoot aspirin out of the air and put arrows thru engagement rings form 30 yards are longbow guys. Shawn
Shawn

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
It is the guy behind the bow and if he is "on" that day.  The class separation is so more people can get an award to promote participation.  The different classes is very "Target Archery" oriented.  If people would honestly look at themselves and accept their choice in equipment and its limitations in their hands all traditional shoots could have a mens, womens, youth, and cub class.  Shoot whatever trad bow arrow  you want, because the top dog that day will shoot the high score.  Someone always will test the limit on technology or the norm and someone says "hey thats not fair, he should be in another class/division"  We focus way too much on winning, and far too little on our own personal best with our chosen equipment.  The classes division could get more absurd than it already is just think:  3-under recurve alum, 3-under recurve carb., split wood rec, split longbow wood, split longbow alum, add infinity!!!  Someone has to set a rule, saying this is a dividing line for technology and technique.  I just wish we could have tournaments that put more people together shooting with one type of bow and arrow.    Maybe there should be only longbow wood events and recurve carbon events, limiting the equipment so everyone shoots the same way. (Texas State Longbow Championship is like this to some degree, although they have added a division to acommidate the laminated all wood guys)  Shoot what you enjoy, work to excell with that type of bow, and have fun with traditional archery.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
With some of the newer LB designs i.e., centershot the gap between recurve and LB is disappearing.  The only recurve guys I can't catch are the carbon arrow dudes.  My hunting weight woodies can get close, but it is real tough to compete against the skinny sticks.  There usually are only about 2-6 LB and 1-2 recurve shooters total at our local shoot.  When I travel to the bigger shoots aluminum and carbon are in their own class.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
dang , cast the bait and not one nibble :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »
To answer the question in as simple a manner as possible.
Longbows,no matter what arrow their shooting,can't match recurves.
Now to expand on that a little.
I've shot both longbow and recurve in three different types of competition over the last three years,two of which let you shoot whatever arrow you want.
The better longbow shooters usualy get into the lower recurve scores,but no further than that.
The comp's that demand a wood arrow for longbows are trying to preserve the Traditions of the longbow,which is a total joke anyway.seeing as how they allow R/D flatbows to be shot in the longbow class.

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
The club I belong to has five different classes for its traditional shoots. Trad longbow, trad recurve, modern longbow, modern recurve, and recurve unlimited (I think). The trad classes are for recurve and longbow shot off the shelf w/ wood arrows only. Modern allows for an non adustable arrow rest and any arrow material. Unlimited is for any arrow rest, stab, slings, clickers, etc but no sight.

Most of the time the best shot is going to win or place well no matter the weapon or class. Good shootin' is good shootin'.

Chris

Offline Jacko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 01:59:00 AM »
I'll bite Drewsbow - ARE NOT !
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.'"

-Charles Darwin

Offline Jacko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 02:30:00 AM »
See what I said earlier about focusing on a bows perceived or actual advantage instead of cultural and historic value when making Traditional bow divisions - complicates things real quick .

I shoot mostly Selfbow and on a good day am capable of matching the top shots with recurve or Longbow in my neck of the woods - but I gotta practice daily and shoot regular comps to do it . Because of the time I must devote to my young family I recently bought myself a Rivers Edge Arroyo and if I only shoot once a week can shoot as well as if I had been training daily for a month with the selfbow

Human nature wont change but what is actually  traditional equipment and peoples idea's on exactly what is traditional is changing real fast . Imagine the same discussion with the introduction of fibreglass and mass produced alluminium shafts in the 50's then take it back 50 years further and imagine how the d section bow was superior and no one wanted to know about native american flatbows

Only half tongue in cheek perhaps the definitions need to be pre industrial age , post industrial age and space age .

As far as the newer designs go - think back to the Egyptian composite bow of 3500 years ago - looks a lot like many of the deflex reflex bows of today . I repeat - Cultural and Historic Value in focus when talking Traditional Archery

-Charles Darwin

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 06:35:00 AM »
Most of the shoots I've been to have 3 traditional categories,recurve,longbow,and primative.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©