INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Kodiak Hunter  (Read 636 times)

Offline brianvanh

• Trad Bowhunter
Kodiak Hunter
« on: March 31, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
So I was talking to a good friend of mine telling him that I was learning how to make bows.

Long story short, he shows up yesterday at the office and calls me down to the parking lot.  Tells me that he's got a couple of bows that he doesn't want/need any longer and thought I would like to have them.   :thumbsup:  

One is a homemade fiberglass recurve.  Very big and bulky.  The glue is coming out in areas.  Not sure on the age, but it's obviously homemade.

The second is a 1967 (first year) Bear Kodiak Hunter that belonged to his father.  It is in FANTASTIC shape.  The finish is a little dull and there is some black gunk in various places but that all can be cleaned up.  Also had some neat camo fabric limb covers - I'm assuming these are for increased camo while in the woods.  Finally, they have 2 (what appear to be) very old Kwikee-Kwiver attachments that snap on to the limb.

My friend says that these bows have been sitting in his garage for years and he just didn't want them any more.  I was happy to take them off his hands.

Anyway, I'm thinking of cleaning up the bow.  Maybe doing a light sand to knock the gunk off.  Any thoughts or recommendations about what to do/not to do in regards to cleaning it up?
If man evolved from apes, then why are there still apes?

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kodiak Hunter
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
NO, please don't sand it!  Any Marine store, RV store, most Ace hardwares, etc, sell Macguairs(SP?) boat cleaners and waxes.  Macguairs offers various formulations, from something almost as abrasive as auto paint polishing compound, all the way to pure wax.  I use the Oxidation Remover or Color Restorer on boats, RVs, and bows when I really want to cut away a layer of grime. Then I go to the polish, and then pure wax.  Note: some stores will try to talk you into gelcoat cleaner, sold in most groceries for cleaning kitchen appliances, or whatever.  It does not work very well at all.  The finish on your bow responds very well to the same products that do well on boats and RVs.  This stuff is about $12 a bottle, and you will want both cleaner and wax.  

You can also try auto paint cleaners and waxes, and I think they probably will work fine, but I feel the boat and RV products work better. It seems like the polishes and waxes that work best contain carnauba(whatever that is!)

The black gunk may require rubbing with denatured alcohol or goo-gone type stuff....it may be nothing more than tape residue from tape holding on the camo sleeves.

A little elbow grease and these products will clean up any bow finish.
Tom

Offline brianvanh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
Good info!  I won't sand it.   :)

Glad I asked.  I'll go to Ace Hardware later and see if I can pick some of this stuff up.  I'll start with denatured alcohol to get it cleaned up.

Thanks for your feedback.

Brian
If man evolved from apes, then why are there still apes?

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
By sanding it you could lose some value.  Many collectors prefer bows in original condition.

I have a 67 K hunter. Its a great bow. The Shedua wood is beautiful. I am not a huge fan of high wrist grips but the bow its self shoots great!!!

good info on cleaning above!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ahandle70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Brian...that is one heck of a deer in that pic.  Gotta love Iowa bucks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©