INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Howard Hill information.  (Read 810 times)

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
Howard Hill information.
« on: April 01, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Looking for published or "first hand information" on Howard Hill prior to 1930.

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill information.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Hi Cliff,  I know you are looking for material prior to 1930, but I found a copy of "The Archers Handbook" for 1930 [by The Archers Company], which has an article on archery golf written for The Archers Company by Howard Hill.  It provides the rules for archery golf as it was played at Opa-Locka, Fla.  He also mentions clout shooting, flight shooting and wand shooting.  It lists Hill as the holder of the World's Record Long Bow Flight Shot - 391 yds. 1 ft. 11 in. and also notes he was the U.S. Flight Shot Champion, 1928.

My recollection is that there might have been a similar article in older editions of "The Archers Handbook" -- I will try and dig out my copies or perhaps you already know?
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 01:49:00 AM »
If you are looking for original printed material, I can't help, but if you are interested in early stories about Howard written by someone who was by his side during the early years then you should check out "Early Adventures with Howard Hill" by Don Carson.  Don Carson was given the name "Little Goat" by Howard Hill when he worked for him at the Opa-Locka Archery Club in 1927.  

The book chronicles Don's personal archery adventures with Howard.  Don Carson submitted the book to Outdoor Life in 1938 and was turned down.  The manuscript sat untouched until Don's wife Ruth "Black Swan" Carson passed it on to Ted Fry who got the book published and offers it through Raptor Archery.  

It is an excellent read and a good trip back in time by someone who was there.

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
Hobow I totally agree. Early Adventues with Howard Hill is a great read! A wonderful look into the real life adventures of the young Howard Hill that would have probably been lost without the blood,sweat and tears of Ted at Raptor archery. Here's a link to the only place I know of to get this treasure.  http://www.raptorarchery.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=133_36&products_id=11
Hunting elk in Oregon and hunting for Bears everywhere! (Grayling Bears!)

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
I found my 1928 edition of "The Archers Handbook" published by The Archers Company, and it also contains Howard Hill's article on archery golf.  However, the 1926 edition does not.
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
You guys about covered it. I'm still searching but other than an isolated newspaper article, I really think we've located the bulk of the published material on Hill's Florida years.

David, the Archery Golf Rules in the 1928 "The Archers Handbook" is now, to my knowledge, the earliest published piece with Howard Hill's name attached to it.  I have earlier newspaper articles with him named but nothing with him credited as author.

Those of you who've read Carson's book know Hill went to work with Curtiss at the Opa-locka Archery Golf Club in early 1927.  I really doubt if we'll ever find anything by him earlier than that.

I visited Ted Fry two Saturday's ago while in Portland for the PBS Banquet.  Somehow Don Carson's inscribed and signed 1st edition of Hill's "Wild Adventure" became separated from the rest of his stuff.  I purchase that book from a dealer 10 years or so back for $30 and never could place Don Carson until Ted published his book.  I left it with Ted who now displays it with the rest of Carson's stuff in his shop in Hood River.

The attached photo shows the book and a bow given Don Carson [according to his family] by Hill.  The bow is made of a very dense, hard wood and backed with black fiber, much heavier and denser than osage, more like a tropical hardwood.  It most likely is made of Florida snakewood/snakewood/stopperwood, the wood I wrote about in my article published in the Dec/Jan 2012 TBM.  

Hill obviously had a relationship with Rounsvelle and the black fiber backing on this bow likely came from Rounsevelle's "Archer's Company."

Hobow, you couldn't be any more right about Carson's book.  It is a rare and valuable piece of history.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
I bought Carson's book from Ted when it first came out and found it to be a fascinating read.  Hill fans should enjoy this early history.

BTW Cliff, did you ever come up with definitive proof that Hill took a grizzly with the bow?
Lon Scott

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Cliff have you tried to get in touch with the Hill family? They might have some idea as to the early stuff...
Lucas Kent

Offline Hobow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Liquid Amber, so you're the Cliff that gave Ted the book, that was a very cool gift!    :thumbsup:  

I checked it out after leaving the PBS gathering on Saturday, Ted looked like a proud Papa!  It will look great in his Howard Hill/Don Carson collection.  

Brad

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »

Yes this is the same Cliff that was kind enough to reconnect the autographed Early Adventures back with the other items of Don Carsons.
The bow we are holding is the one made by Howard in 1927 and given to Don after Dons bow broke, there is a great story behind this bow as well but thats for a later date.
Lucas , I doubt the Hill family has any info that hasnt been made public , if there was Cliff would have sniffed it out by now , he's the man when it comes to the written word on archery history.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
I suspect there is some interesting, un-published material with Jerry Hill or other family on Howard Hill.

There is so much material accessible these days and many of us are connected such that if Tox Collector or Ted Fry or a number of others know I have some information they need.....most likely I will provide it and they would return the favor for me.  Actually, both have provided me information in the past.

The internet has opened up archives in Libraries, Colleges, newspapers and published material one once could only access by purchasing from a book/periodical dealer.

One can sit at a computer and order custom photos of Will Thompson's personal archery tackle, copies of material from Maurice Thompson's personal papers, print off copies of old newspaper articles, capture and store old photos from the net,  and search any number of different methods/ways.

Collectors such as Wade Phillips have published a huge amount of information on collectables such as broadheads, others have published or allow use of their research on Bear and other archery companies.  Bits and pieces of the puzzle can pop up anywhere and anyplace.

Over all, folks are more connected and more prone to provide or share information these days, but you still have to work for it.  Its a good time to be in the game.   :)

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Two passages from "Hunting the Hard Way."  The second passage turned my direction of searching for the answer of Hill's grizzly toward Roy Glasgow some time back.  I have yet to acquire anything of significance, but I have a feeling there is something there.  Maybe someone will discover a manuscript or collection of old letters or photographs or ..............?

“I have killed grizzly bear, mountain lion[cougar], Jaguar, and many wild  boar with the bow and arrow, and I cannot wholly agree with all the claims made for the tusker.  The grizzly is faster, tougher, stronger, and bigger than the boar, and to my way of thinking is by far the most dangerous animal on the North American continent.”  HTHW pg. 211

“While Ned was still out with his party of dudes, I went elk hunting with Roy Glasgow, a fellow I had met in Cody.  Roy was an interesting person and a fine hunter.  His specialty was bears.  Ned said that Roy was one of the finest bear hunters in the Rockies.  Later, I was with him when he had a chance to prove his prowess on grizzly bears, and he came through wonderfully.  This time, however, we were after elk.”  HTHW pg. 35.  This may be the key to Hill’s grizzly claim.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©