INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Who's got the other one?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Who's got the other one?
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
There were two of these found on Jim Brackenbury’s garage wall after his death.  That much was verified by several of his friends.   No one knows for sure that he made them……but, it seems obvious.  This riser is a very nicely made of walnut and shedua(my guesses).   The grip is checkered nicely.  The latches appear to be hybridized from half of Bear magnesium riser latch and half of a Bear wood t/d latch.  The result looks like an original Bear assembly but there are two studs extending from the riser end and wing nuts holding on the moveable part of the latch.  The limbs are Bear #3s with the data still on them.   They are marked 70# on a B riser(this riser is B length)… with white tips narrowed and the overlays thinned.   I have had it for about 15 years and have not strung or shot it.  The leather sight plate and arrow rest show no usage at all.  
Can anyone shed any more light on the origin of this bow?  How about the details of the assembly in the riser end?  Does anyone know who has the other one?  I heard that one does not have Bear limbs.  I’ll be very appreciative of any help anyone can provide.  

Tom

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's got the other one?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »

Tom

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Nice! I've always wondered what one of the Brackenbury/Bear takedown looked like. The other one used to reside in Georgia safe in the hands of a fellow Tradgang member, I'm not sure if he still has it or not. If you dont mind the question was yours purchased from Bowdoc? I had heard that the other one(yours) was in his possession for a short time after it left Oregon.
      Very nice! Thanks for posting the pics.    Greg
Hunting elk in Oregon and hunting for Bears everywhere! (Grayling Bears!)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Very interesting stuff here!

Tom, did you mention this to Wes Wallace at the PBS convention last week?  He may have more info for you.  Yep...cool bow.
Lon Scott

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Hi Tom.
I owned one like yours for a while and sold it to bowdoc or Larry at denton hill long ago if memory serves. It was one of two Jim made. I enjoyed it while I had it. The sockets appeared to have been removed from a doner handle. The grip was checkered as well with Jim's signature style.

..........Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
I bought this one just a few years after Jim's death.  I know who bought the other one back then, but have heard it's been passed around a bit since.  No, Lon, I didn't ask Wes at PBS last week, because I asked him years ago(maybe PBS-Seattle in 98?), and he said he knew of these bows, but could not verify that Jim made them.

Philip, did you shoot the other one?  I have no desire to shoot these heavy limbs, but might shoot it with some lighter ones.  It's a real beautiful riser, but it's on the bubble here in my collection.  It's either going to find a new home, or I'm going to use it! But, I thought first I'd search a bit for the other one and see if there's any more known about them now.
Tom
Tom

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 12:22:00 AM »
Hi Tom.
Yes I did shoot the bow with 55# limbs. Comfortable in the hand and unique. I'm trying to remember. I'm confident bowdoc took it home from Denton hill at the time but not certain if I sold / traded to him or Larry. This would be in the late 90's.
I remember asking Jim's wife at the time about it and yes Jim did make it. Pretty much like your handle with white glass and checkering.
Jim may have used a slightly different angle of limb to riser if I remember. Check it out compared to a factory Bear B riser.

The handle I had did not have limbs. I used one of my sets.
I'm delighted to see the photos you posted and thank you for sharing it. I wish I had some photos to share of my Brackenbury Bear t/d.

.......Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 05:59:00 AM »
thanks for sharing, really neat bow and story !

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 07:21:00 AM »
Really interesting story,I never heard of those.Thanks for sharing.This is another appreciation to Fred's design if also a bowyer like Jim,made a copy of the TD!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
yipeeee this mother is working great this AM thanks you Mr TGer for your help dude you saved my neck ?
oh yeah I remember them both well guy's.Great little treasures right there Tom very nice a part of archery history too.And I believe double R(aka Numpls)has the other one which is the one that was in Ga. for a bit.Nice Tom thanks bro see ya soon bd

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 07:21:00 AM »
I dunno. Those wing nuts are kind of cheesy.
Tom can you zoom it in a bit for a close up of the checkering?
Thanks
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
yap I think Dr Roan has the other one he bought off Jack he'll be around later today bd

Offline NumPls

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Yes, Don, that is correct. I bought the "other one" off Jack almost 2 years ago. He told me that you had owned this bow for a while and that Tom owned the other one.  This bow came with a pair of 56# Schafer limbs. I am pleased to see more of the history coming out here.

I will post some photos that Jack took and sent to me (with his phone) back then and post more when I get an opportunity to do so (we will be busy with company the next two weekends, so it might be a while).

By the way, Don, it is great to see that your computer is behaving!  

Here are some photos of the "other one".

Ray

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
That's the handle I owned Ray.

You guy's are bringing me back!!!!
If only she could be mine again?   :readit:   .........LOL

Thanks for posting the pics ya'll..........Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
Yeah, Gun, the wing nuts are cheesy.  But, that's how it came to me, and how I displayed it.  If I shoot it myself, I'll replace those with cap nuts of brass, or something similar, but the studs are pretty long for most 8-32 cap nuts I've seen. May have to grind them a little shorter. And, I'm really not excited about making even minor changes to that riser.  

Ray, I bought a pair of 63# Schafer limbs for a Bear T/D back in the 90s.  They were used but looked new.  One exploded w/in my first 10 shots.  They were quick 'till then, though!  
Tom
Tom

Online Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »
Oldbohntr
Neat to see the Brakenbury wide limb with narrow limb tip design being used on the Bear takedown design. Jims bows are very solid performers.  I would have never imagined, but you could say the best of both worlds. Thanks for the enlightenment!

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
Are these the same handles that were in Ted Fry's posession for awhile in the mid 1990's? Just curious as I had seen some that he had that were custom built-not from bear.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Kelly,
That's where I got mine. I thought he had them both at one time.    
Tom
Tom

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
Yep, I saw both of them hangin on the door of his trailer at a show in Boise, ID most likely in 1995.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
I bought it from Phils brother many moons ago and added the Shaffer limbs.

As Ray stated, I sold it to him about two years ago.  One of those things I regret selling but at least it went to Ray.  I passed a few on to him.

Well, I guess for historys sake,  all of us that have owned that riser should have carved our names in the side of it.  That would document the line of ownership.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©