INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 62 Kodiak Restoration  (Read 2086 times)

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
62 Kodiak Restoration
« on: April 19, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
Those that know me know that I do love the 62 Kodiak.  The 62K was my one and only bow for about 18 years of my life.  I cannot have one in my hand without smiling!

I am also a bit of a "wood nut".  Wild figure in hardwood trips my trigger.  Wild figure in brazilian rosewood pretty much tops the list in my book!

I took a chance on what was obviously a "beater" 62K.  The photos were dark and somewhat out-of-focus.  Still, I thought I could see some really wild grain in what was a 62 Kodiak that had seen better days.

When it arrived at the house (happily in one piece), I knew I made the right decision.  A fairly rare one piece riser.  And the figure made me smile.  The previous owner had stripped most of the finish, leaving a few areas on the riser and around the decals on the limbs.  

I put a string on it and noticed a very very slight twist to the upper limb.  I grabbed the tip and tweaked it a few times and it lined right up.  I squinted my eyes as I did some test draws. Test #one....it didn't explode! Nice and smooth.

I dabbed a tiny amount of mineral oil on the riser to get a sense of what it would look like if it was refinished.    :)  

The "wood nut" in me smiled!

I left it strung and took it to a local bow shop that has an accurate scale to verify that it was really 55#.  55 1/2# to 56# each time.

I stepped into the indoor range and decided to try a few shots with it although I didn't have any arrows with me that would probably be matched.  I used some CE 150s that I knew would be a bit weak.  Wow!  It shot a nice consistent group.....and didn't explode!  Test #2!  And the string never moved.  So much for that minor twist.

:archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 62 Kodiak Restoration
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
I have other 62 Kodiaks.......but all are in the low 40s...lighter than I would hunt with.  I do shoot 3-D with one of them.  This "new" 62 is destined to be in a treestand....this fall!!!

Obviously, I wouldn't want to use it in its current condition.  It needed a new finish.  And that is not my forte'!

I have a friend in PA that shares my passion for old Bear bows....and has the skills to bring them back to life when needed.  Although he is a member here, I won't mention his name......I'm pretty sure he wants to keep the "retire" in retirement!

I take the 62K down to PA. After the first "WOW", I knew he was just as excited as I was!

Since most of the finish had been removed, it didn't take him too long to get the remainder of the bow cleaned up and sanded.

He even "restored" the "black" on that old pewter coin!

TGMM Family of the Bow

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
New decals had been ordered from Al.  When they arrived, it was time to decorate those grey limbs.

They are the appropriate light green shade.  His camera flash just "washed" them out to white in the photos.

:archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
With the initial prep work done, it was time to put the coin back where it came from.

Now the hard work begins.......or at least the time consuming aspect:  Spray, Sand, Spray, Sand, Spray, Sand.....well....you get the idea.

That old brazilian rosewood has lots of pores that must be filled.  And using "filler" is NOT the way to go.....especially on wood this nice.  The spraying and sanding process might be time consuming, but you end up with a fantastic looking smooth finish.

This thread will go on for a while.  I'll keep it updated with progress photos.

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Outstanding craftsmanship!!! I'll be anxious to see the finished product.

Keep the pictures coming.

Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
Oh come on Tony!
Here I am scrolling down, reading and find out I have to WAIT!!!  That is going to be a pretty one..... I saw the pictures of the 59 your friend worked over so I'm sure this will also be very sweet. Can't wait to see that very nice grain pop out.
Anticipation.........

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
Holy cow does that wood have some grain!
You found a beauty Tony.
Can't wait to see it finished, gonna be a very special 62'.

........Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Its gonna look like its on Fire when done.

I have been admiring your now for a few weeks now.!!!!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

A nice warm dry day for spraying:

He has lots of sanding to do, but this should give you an idea of how it looks with a fresh coat of finish on it.

This gives new meaning to "anticipation"!!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
NICE!!!!!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Missaukee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
I am glad you restored the "black" to the coin. It looks great.

What type of finish are you using?

I like the spray rig too, I have always hung them vertically but I can see some advantages of waist level spraying.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Don,

I'm not doing the bow, but I'll ask what finish is being used.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
It's hard to believe the transformation that takes place when a true craftsman goes to work. That's going to be very nice, to put it mildly. Well done!
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
Looks awesome , I'll have to make a spraying rig like that, great idea

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
Beautiful bow Tony! Will she be making an appearance at Denton in July??
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
Very nice!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Kenny - Yes, it should be at Denton - barring a drastic change to cool weather for the rest of the year!!!  I've been shooting the Bear TD quite a bit lately, but when this old girl is finished, something tells me it will be in my hand most of the time......in preparation for hunting season this fall!  You are going to have to fling some arrows with her when you get a chance.

He sent me a note that he took the bow outside in the sun after it dried........and was simply amazed at the colors in the rosewood.  If you look at the first two photos in this post where I dabbed a tiny bit of mineral oil to see what it might look like, I was anticipating exactly that!  This bow seems to have just about every color we've come to expect from brazilian rosewood; orange, black, various reds and purples, chocolate brown, light brown.  The only thing I didn't see was the light straw color of any sapwood.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
Wow!
That some piece of lumber Tony.
That is by far the most beautiful 62' Kodiak I have ever seen.

...........Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline PrimitiveSniper66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
nice bow.  I am also in the process of refinishing a 1959 kodiak.  And I need 2 sets of silk screens.  I would really appreciate it if you could send me the information.  I have 2 62's, they are nice shooters.  One is 52# and the other is 55#.  
Thank you,
Curt

Offline Hoof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
Awesome work there! great job...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©