INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 62 Kodiak Restoration  (Read 2087 times)

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 62 Kodiak Restoration
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Will you be at whittingham Tony?

I will be there on Saturday.

.........Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
I'll be there on Saturday as well. Let's hope for good weather.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
That is perhaps the best riser wood I have seen! Nice job!!   :thumbsup:

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Thanks Bjorn.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the original photos left a bit to be desired, but I thought that I could see some nice grain on this bow.  Like I said, those photos were a bit on the dark side:

Just enough visual stimulation that told me to take a chance on it.  I'm sure glad I did!

Now, if I can only have the patience for this transformation to be completed!!  I KNOW I have the patience.....but that "clock" sure ticks slowly!

In all seriousness, even if it would take a year to get finished, I know the end result will be more than worth it!
TGMM Family of the Bow

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
WOW, Good Call on that one Tony. Perhaps to hold in hand would make a difference but to look at the picture would lead me to have second thoughts as to the condition of the rest of the bow...
Sure is a pretty one!!!!!

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
I have more than one thats in the midst of a face lift, better to go slow than screw the pooch by being in a hurry...
That is going to be stunner

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »
Yes Larry, my wife looked at me like I had three heads when I told her I was going after that bow.  It could have just as easily gone the "other" way as well....it could have actually been a real ugly bow!

Rich/Kurt - I actually have all the patience in the world!  I made it through a 20 month wait on a Dale Dye bow, so I figure no matter how long this takes, the end result will be proof that the wait was more than worth it.

That's the good thing about having plenty of bows to shoot.

Doing this thread and seeing the progress photos just contributes to those occasional moments of weakness......but I get over it quickly.  This ugly duckling will turn into a swan!

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Can't wait to see it all done and home......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Ron - I hope she accompanies me up to ADK this year.  Those that like the old Bears can fondle her to their hearts content.

Yesterday, I spent some time in PA helping to do one of the final tasks....reapply the SN, length and draw weight.  Don't ever let anyone tell you that it is easy......unless of course, all you want is chicken scratch.  Then it should only take 30 seconds.  Trust me....to get it to look good, it takes some time, especially on that slick non-flat surface!

One of the first things we did when I arrived (well, second - after having a beer) was take it outside so I could see the renewed colors in the sun.  I'm not even going to attempt to describe it.  When the bow comes home, I'll figure out how to photograph it closeup in the sun without all the glare and let you see for yourself.

I mentioned before about it having all the colors that we expect from crazy BR EXCEPT for the light straw color of sapwood.....well....I was wrong.  If you look at previous photos of the area around the coin, there are areas above and below the coin just to the left side of the coin that are light colored.  As I was holding it outside, I asked him if these spots were always there.  He thinks the sanding just highlighted the sapwood that was already there.  He also mentioned that during the sanding process a small area of sapwood in the grip area became pronounced, then just "disappeared".  I would have loved to have seen the original "blank" of wood they chose that day....or better yet......to have a stash of that pre-ban crazy wood at home.  One thing is for sure though, Bear found one crazy piece of rosewood for that bow!

He is on the home stretch now.  It won't be long.

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
I look forward to seeing that bow Tony.
I was on the phone with Mike the other day and he told me you drove to PA just to write the specs back onto the bow.

NOW THAT'S A BEAR COLLECTOR!!!!!

Bravo............Philip
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 02:08:00 AM »
I'm with you Tony on the lettering. The very few I have done have resulted in 3 to 4 do overs to get it just right. Of course that one beer always help steady the hand!!
Anxious to see the end result as I know it's going to be a Nice One........

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 06:22:00 AM »
I believe that I may have this "spruced up" ol girl back in my hands this weekend!

We'll take some photos, but when I get back from the shoot I'll have more time to take some good shots of the bow and get them posted.

:archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
Bring it to Denton to put it through a "money match".
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Hey Tony...come with the Shaws to Shade Mtn. Bowmens shoot in September....you can bring yhat ultra-cool 62'.....nice find.....john getz
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
Very nicely done and that grain is outstanding..  :thumbsup:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Simply Gorgeous  :clapper:
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
You need a day with light overcast, or a diffuser, to get accurate pics of stuff. Usually folks think they need a bright sunny day, but that leads to glare and harsh contrast.

Send it on down here, and I'll get pics for you, Tony. Then you can pick it up at Baltimore next year.

Killdeer   :goldtooth:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 05:51:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Killdeer:
Send it on down here, and I'll get pics for you, Tony. Then you can pick it up at Baltimore next year.

Killdeer    :saywhat:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
Let's see it Tony!
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
We were so "busy" having fun at last weekend's shoot in Greencastle, PA that we never took the time to take any photos of the restored 62K.  Not that it didn't get fondled mind you.....we just never broke out the camera.

Please don't critique my photography skills!  I just point the camera at the object and hope for the best.  My apologies up front for the glare.......but you get the idea:

I could not be happier with how it turned out.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©