INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Roy Hoff  (Read 620 times)

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
Roy Hoff
« on: April 26, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
"Roy Hoff Tells it as it was...40 years of archery and bow hunting."

An uncommon book full of history.  I'm curious to how many may have a copy.  I've only run upon a couple for sale.  Mine is a nice copy signed by both Roy and Frieda Hoff.

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Roy Hoff
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
I just looked at one of my copies that is signed "Best wishes - Roy and Frieda Hoff".  My recollection is that I have at least two copies.  Quite a scarce item these days and great reading!  I like the pic of Hoff showing Klopsteg a compound bow!
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
Cliff- I happen to have a copy of his book I picked up a couple of years ago.It too is signed by Roy and Frieda Hoff,a personal inscription on the page with the photo of Roy and Frieda next to the "Forward" page.It says "Best Wishes from Roy Hoff and Frieda Hoff to Lloyd English our archery friend of more than a quarter of a century!"
 I have read some parts of the book and found it quite interesting.
 In the same vein of Roy Hoff,several years ago I aquired a hard bound set of the first 5 years of Archery magazine that was given as a gift from the Hoff's to A.J. Michelson of Flint,Michigan. I'm sure you are familiar with A.J.,he had a monthly article in Archery magazine called Blunts from the Old Stump.

Any idea on who Lloyd English might be?

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 03:28:00 AM »
I have a copy autographed to me.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Here's a couple items , The signed hunting arrows and framed picture are from Floyd Ecclestons collection, they where close friends. Book signed by both Roy & Frieda also

A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline KentuckyFlintworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
I also have 2 copies and both are signed as Toxcollector's are. I also have a personal letter to an NFA officer from Illinois soliciting subscriptions for the new upcoming mag Archery. In addition a personalized letter that accompanied the aforementioned 1st edition. Roy was a true pioneer.

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
johnnyrazorhead - The name Lloyd English is one that I have seen a number of times in old archery publications.  If I locate his name again, I will post it here.  A. J. Michelson was also a former President of the N.F.A.A.  That was an interesting column that A. J. wrote.
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
1947 ad
Lloyd English (Custom Bows & Arrows)   
Box 181
Belleville,   Washington

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
From Google Books, I noted that someone in Vol. 44 of "ARCHERY" magazine (1972?) noted "In the past 6 years my old hunting buddy Lloyd English and I have taken more than a hundred birds on the wing ... the obligation of responsible archers to police our sport and not let the actions of one spoil it for us."  I don't have this volume of "Archery" handy -- perhaps one of you do.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 01:26:00 AM »
Cliff and David-You guys amaze me at how you are able to find out some of this information.I don't think I have any 1972 editions of Archery but I'll take a look just in case.
 My copy of the book travelled a long way all the way from Washington state to Michigan.Thanks for the info.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 05:48:00 AM »
Kent T. Woodell wrote the article " Pheasant" and his dog's name was Quiche they used cut down MA-2 Broadheads, there's also a picture of six hunters but Lloyd is not in the photo
January 1972..nice read.....Hink
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
Thanks Hink - the Google search didn't reveal the author of the article - it's good to know who it was.

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Found my second copy - signed by both individuals.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©